Hana-Bi (aka Fireworks) Blu-ray/DVD from Film Movement Classics

mpm74

On September 19, 2017, Film Movement Classics is releasing the Blu-ray & DVD for Takeshi Kitano’s crime drama, Hana-Bi (aka Fireworks).

For the first time in America, this acclaimed classic – directed, written by and starring Kitano (Outrage, Beyond Outrage) – has been fully restored in beautiful HD.

Bonus Features: Commentary by film writer for Rolling Stone magazine, David Fear Making-of featurette Collector’s Booklet, featuring essay by film writer, Jasper Sharp; cast and crew credits; chapter breaks; stills

http://cityonfire.com/film-movement-classics-takeshi-kitano-hana-bi-aka-fireworks-blu-ray-dvd-hd/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

The Outrage films and Brother are the only yakuza movies that I've seen Kitano in. I really want to dig into his earlier stuff like this one. Have you seen them and what are your thoughts.

In other news... Bandai Visual will be releasing Violent Cop, Boiling Point, A Scene At the Sea, Sonatine (at last!!!), Getting Any?, Hana-Bi, Kikujiro, Brother (finally!!!), Dolls, Zatoichi, and Takeshis' on bluray. Some of these have already been released by other distributors but Bandai will most likely encode their releases better.

3 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

The Outrage films and Brother are the only yakuza movies that I've seen Kitano in. I really want to dig into his earlier stuff like this one. Have you seen them and what are your thoughts.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. While the Outrage films and Brother are good, they are a far cry from Kitano's best movies.

Sonatine is his most genius film, and one of the best films of the 90s. Even then, it's not his best film as that would be Hana-Bi, which is an absolute masterpiece and one of the finest movies ever made anywhere. Last time I saw it (a couple of years ago in 35mm) I had tears in my eyes half of the time just because of how utterly perfect filmmaking it was.

It's been a really long time since I saw Violent Cop and Boiling Point, but those should be quite good as well. I should really re-watch them now that the Japanese BDs are coming out.

Really exciting news! Hana-bi really is one of the best Japanese movies I've ever seen and one of my favourite movies ever. If you only ever watch one Takeshi Kitano film in your life, I'd say that this one should be it. Sonatine might be his most idiosyncratic work, but Hana-bi feels like his most personal, and the absolute perfect culmination of the style he was working towards up till that point.

OpiumKungFuCracker
7 hours ago, Takuma said:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. While the Outrage films and Brother are good, they are a far cry from Kitano's best movies.

Sonatine is his most genius film, and one of the best films of the 90s. Even then, it's not his best film as that would be Hana-Bi, which is an absolute masterpiece and one of the finest movies ever made anywhere. Last time I saw it (a couple of years ago in 35mm) I had tears in my eyes half of the time just because of how utterly perfect filmmaking it was.

It's been a really long time since I saw Violent Cop and Boiling Point, but those should be quite good as well. I should really re-watch them now that the Japanese BDs are coming out.

Instant purchase for me then. Thanks @Takuma

I got the dvd release of this earlier in the year at a library sale and was bummed out that this wasn't on blu-ray here in the states. This is most welcome news!

Archived