Request: Information about the would-be BRUCE LEE bio movies in the 70s

mpm74

It's probably somewhere on this forum, but does anyone have any scans regarding the would-be BRUCE LEE bio movie in the 70s (I think Robert Clouse was going to direct/and Barbra Streisand was going to produce and they had already picked an actor)... the project was ultimately canned after they learned of all the Bruce Li bios in HK. lol

I found this: http://barbra-archives.com/bjs_library/70s/peters_karate_norris.html

But was hoping for info about the low budget guy that was supposed to play Bruce (from my understanding, the dude from BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE/THE SRANGER auditioned after working out with O.J. Simpson)... 

Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much in advance.

:)

• Like 5

Phantom Dreamer

https://www.williamreesecompany.com/pages/books/WRCLIT71202/bruce-lee-robert-clouse/bruce-lee-his-life-and-legend

This site also claims Clouse directed Dragon the Bruce Lee Story, ROFL!

"A "Final Draft" of this unproduced, original screenplay, but incorporating dated revises over a three week period. Clouse had directed Lee's commercial breakthrough, and last life-time film, ENTER THE DRAGON (1973), yet this early attempt at a biopic went unproduced. Twenty years later, he directed DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY, based in part on his published biography of Lee."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mpm74 said:

It's probably somewhere on this forum, but does anyone have any scans regarding the would-be BRUCE LEE bio movie in the 70s (I think Robert Clouse was going to direct/and Barbra Streisand was going to produce and they had already picked an actor)... the project was ultimately canned after they learned of all the Bruce Li bios in HK. lol

I found this: http://barbra-archives.com/bjs_library/70s/peters_karate_norris.html

But was hoping for info about the low budget guy that was supposed to play Bruce (from my understanding, the dude from BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE/THE SRANGER auditioned after working out with O.J. Simpson)... 

:)

The guy who was going to play Bruce was a Canadian martial artist called Alex Kwok (he was going to be called Alex Kwon for the film). He practiced My Jong Long Horn style of Gung fu. When the film didn't happen he went back to Canada.

• Like 6

Killer Meteor

In the way, this could have been a more respectable way to handle the Game of Death footage. A biopic, with the 40min of GOD at the end.

Wouldn't have been as fun, mind you!

• Like 5

Phantom Dreamer
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

In the way, this could have been a more respectable way to handle the Game of Death footage. A biopic, with the 40min of GOD at the end.

Wouldn't have been as fun, mind you!

So, in other words, Warrior's Journey, a generation earlier...

• Like 5

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, mpm74 said:

I've read a four page article from Fighitng Stars about Bruce KL.Lea, that someone posted on these very forums. I think it was fighting stars?, an old 1970s magazine scan at least. It mentioned the bio picture and The Stranger aka Bruce Lee Fight Back From The Grave. The bio pic was also brought up in Robert Clous's BL Biography, there's one scan from this in the link you posted. Also recall a picture featuring a large cue of people, next to a cut out of Bruce Lee with the head missing, with the txt "Could you be the next Bruce Lee" or something to that effect.

Just cant find the thread the article was posted in, I stumbled upon it when I was just browsing through older posts one day.

• Like 5

On 7/22/2017 at 2:28 PM, shukocarl said:

The guy who was going to play Bruce was a Canadian martial artist called Alex Kwok (he was going to be called Alex Kwon for the film). He practiced My Jong Long Horn style of Gung fu. When the film didn't happen he went back to Canada.

Thanks Carl. :)

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 22/07/2017 at 5:07 PM, mpm74 said:

They were both asked to go on this tour with Linda and became good friends. Mark says, “After Bruce Lee passed away, Linda, knowing that Bruce respected my father’s art and skill, championed my father for the role of Bruce Lee in a biographical movie back in the ‘70s – the movie never got made but my father was Linda’s first choice.

Full interview here, Link- http://www.maionline.co.uk/people/268-mark-dacascos-interview

The interview only features a small section on the bio movie, which I've posted. I was first made aware of this, when Mark Dacascs mentioned it in an interview for IMPACT magazine, back in the 90's. It's been bugging me since you made your first post, because I couldnt remember which actors father was up for the role of Lee. While I dont have access to the IMPACT interview at the moment, the above section features pretty much the same information.

Al Dacascos(far left) Mike Stone, John Natividad

team-friends-700x400.jpg

I got this image from the following site, Link- https://johnnatividad.com/john-natividad/

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1