The Debt Collector (formerly The Pay Up) (2018) – Scott Adkins/Jesse V. Johnson

mpm74

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I have the German bluray.

There's usual a lot more discussion, when a new Adkins release comes out, but there doesnt even appear to be many reviews either.

He's involved in so many porjects at the momenet, it feels like he has a new movie out each month. Triple Threat has completed production too, so a release cant be too far away for that one either?.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, DragonClaws said:

There's usual a lot more discussion, when a new Adkins release comes out, but there doesnt even appear to be many reviews either.

Well, here's one! -

http://cityonfire.com/the-debt-collector-2018-review-the-pay-up-jesse-v-johnson-scott-adkins-louis-mandylor-michael-pare-dvd/

In short, if you loved Jesse V. Johnson and Scott Adkins' work on 'Accident Man', you should love this.  Very entertaining flick.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Well, here's one! -

http://cityonfire.com/the-debt-collector-2018-review-the-pay-up-jesse-v-johnson-scott-adkins-louis-mandylor-michael-pare-dvd/

In short, if you loved Jesse V. Johnson and Scott Adkins' work on 'Accident Man', you should love this.  Very entertaining flick.

Great stuff, I'll be checking that out later today.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

How are the fights in this one? I they overly scrappy? By that, I mean is there no stylish choreography at all? I'm tempted to buy it but I want to know I'll be getting my lust for action satiated.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

How are the fights in this one? I they overly scrappy? By that, I mean is there no stylish choreography at all? I'm tempted to buy it but I want to know I'll be getting my lust for action satiated.

Very scrappy, however the choreography is definitely there, with a big emphasis on impact.  I'd actually say this feels more like a 90's L.A. crime joint than it does an Adkins fight flick, and I mean that as a compliment.  Worth bearing in mind, if it's important to you, that the finale is completely fight free - it's just not that kind of movie, which I think most people will get as soon as they start watching it.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
29 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Very scrappy, however the choreography is definitely there, with a big emphasis on impact.  I'd actually say this feels more like a 90's L.A. crime joint than it does an Adkins fight flick, and I mean that as a compliment.  Worth bearing in mind, if it's important to you, that the finale is completely fight free - it's just not that kind of movie, which I think most people will get as soon as they start watching it.

Thanks OAB. I appreciate you giving me the haps on the craps. I think I'll still give it a go just because I like Adkins. I just won't go in expecting a fight-fest.

• Like 3

Yeah I'd like to give this one a go too. Mandylor was always great in Martial Law and it was to the detriment of the show when he left so I'll be interested to see him fight alongside Adkins, and even if this isn't the usual fight fest as long as they've put enough through into making the plot interesting then I don;t mind.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

More gun style action in final .  Loved it. This is how to do an action film. Fighting didn't look scrappy at all  ( like a fight down pub) .It suited the film .It was more like Jason Statham brutal proper action style choreography.   . An absolute masterclass in how to direct action.  It won't  really appeal to wirefu fans on here as more for fans of  real brutal  action films.. While wirefu/wuxia  is more for the strictly come dancing crowd on here.

Edited by robbie

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, robbie said:

More gun style action in final .  Loved it. This is how to do an action film. Fighting didn't look scrappy at all  ( like a fight down pub) .It suited the film .It was more like Jason Statham brutal proper action style choreography.   . An absolute masterclass in how to direct action.  It won't  really appeal to wirefu fans on here as more for fans of  real brutal  action films.. While wirefu/wuxia  is more for the strictly come dancing crowd on here.

FUCK you're BORING! Why don't you re-set the jukebox there and pick a new tune..... it's getting played.

• Like 2

It looks like I will have to go for the Koch Media Blu-ray as oppose to the USA release which will be a DVD only release.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
42 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

What's a "fight down pub"?

It's a British colloquialism. It refers to a fight in a pub. When we say we're going to the pub, we often say, "Going down pub?" Short hand for "Going down to the pub?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

What's a "fight down pub"?

A   brawl  outside your local pub that happens most Saturday nights at bars in town. .They happens without any finesse or choreography. That is what is meant by scrappy .

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's a British colloquialism. It refers to a fight in a pub. When we say we're going to the pub, we often say, "Going down pub?" Short hand for "Going down to the pub?"

How would you know this? You're from Wales! :tongueout

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

If anyone wants a dose of the action in this film before making a purchase, take a look at this...

As a warning, the video is highly spoilery. I didn't watch it all but, from the quick glimpse I got, the action looks really good. I'll be picking this up.

• Like 3

I saw the film and I have to say IMO, the heart of the film is not so much the action, but the chemistry between Scott Adkins and Louis Mandylor. They played each other off so well that I would personally love to see these two do another film together in this vein.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2018/06/06/the-debt-collector-2018/

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, AlbertV said:

I saw the film and I have to say IMO, the heart of the film is not so much the action, but the chemistry between Scott Adkins and Louis Mandylor. They played each other off so well that I would personally love to see these two do another film together in this vein.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2018/06/06/the-debt-collector-2018/

You say that,  but the action enjoyed  alot more than probably   all the hong kong action  films of last 27 years barring  drunken master 2   . Louis mandaylor is pretty good actor so no suprise chemistry worked well as he did such a good job in martial law. 

Edited by robbie

On 6/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

My mini-review.

The Debt Collector

i would rate it as one of adkins his best myself . i like the change up in action style to more jason statham style  as suited the  film. i like most types of action film so a gun battle at end does not dissappoint me.  I put it on a par with accident man or maybe better. 

Edited by robbie
  • Like 1

I don't waiting to see a movie, but it looks like theres going to be a long wait for this in the U.K. There must be some kind of error on the HMV web-site?, as the release dates down for January 1st 2021.

Sure its out n September/Octoberr time here?.

Link- https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/dvd/the-debt-collector-(1)

The Debt Collector

£10.99

Released: 1st January 2021

Barcode: 5035822648630

• Studio: Sony Pictures Home Ent.
  • Certification:15
  • Duration: 92mins
  • Format: DVD
  • Category: Action & Adventure
  • Earn Pure Points: 1099

32 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

Has this been pulled from UK distribution? DVD seems to have disappeared off Amazon

No idea, but the date on the HMV website has changed too, so it may have just been moved back even further?.

This is on Playstation Network (UK) for £3.50 rental, haven't seen it yet but it's on my to watch list, haven't seen dvd/blu ray anywhere though. It looks like Adkins movies just don't get physical releases in the UK. I still haven't seen Undisputed 4 as I don't have Netflix!