Criterion to release Dragon Gate Inn?

waywardsage

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been wondering when it would get a release since A Touch of Zen was released. Originally, I was under the impression that they were going to release both movies around the same time. But, it has yet to surface. Maybe soon.

13 hours ago, thekfc said:

It is listed on the Janus Films site as being restored in 4K.

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1707

Maybe they are waiting for the end of the year to coincide with the film's 50th Anniversary

Well, that might explain their intentions then. But, that 4K master is the one that Eureka used for their release back in 2015/2016. 

Killer Meteor

The master needs tweaking. Like many from the Italian based company Ritrovata, it has a weird yellow tint and weak gamma.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:23 PM, Killer Meteor said:

The master needs tweaking. Like many from the Italian based company Ritrovata, it has a weird yellow tint and weak gamma.

It makes me wonder why Criterion did not do that for A Touch of Zen. Gives me no hope that they will fix Dragon Gate Inn. 

silver_emulsion

The artist who did the cover for Touch of Zen also did one for Dragon Inn, way back before Touch of Zen was announced. They use it as the poster for the theatrical showings.

Who knows why they're holding back on the Blu-ray release for so long. I doubt they're tweaking the master, and even if they were it wouldn't take two solid years to color correct. The only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of legality holding it up or something.

I have a small dream that they're secretly prepping a King Hu box set that might also include the restored Four Moods and Legend of the Mountain, but I'll be shocked if that's the case.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:19 PM, silver_emulsion said:

The artist who did the cover for Touch of Zen also did one for Dragon Inn, way back before Touch of Zen was announced. They use it as the poster for the theatrical showings.

Who knows why they're holding back on the Blu-ray release for so long. I doubt they're tweaking the master, and even if they were it wouldn't take two solid years to color correct. The only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of legality holding it up or something.

I have a small dream that they're secretly prepping a King Hu box set that might also include the restored Four Moods and Legend of the Mountain, but I'll be shocked if that's the case.

I want to believe in your dream. That would absolutely be amazing. Legend of the Mountain, Raining on the Mountain and even The Fate of Lee Khan even. But, if they don't release those titles you mentioned, then perhaps Eureka might. 

On 03/08/2017 at 4:39 AM, reason108 said:

I want to believe in your dream. That would absolutely be amazing. Legend of the Mountain, Raining on the Mountain and even The Fate of Lee Khan even. But, if they don't release those titles you mentioned, then perhaps Eureka might

I'd like for someone to release The Valiant Ones remastered...unless that's happened and I don't know.

Archived