Legend of the Demon Cat (2017) Chen Kaige

whitesnake

Chen Kaige's latest movie, Legend of the Demon Cat (aka Ku-Kai), is set for release in China on December 22nd.  "A period action drama [Tang Dynasty China], the film sees a Chinese poet and a Japanese monk join forces to investigate the influence of a demonic cat, which has possessed a general's wife, wreaked havoc on the royal court and killed legendary courtesan Yang Guifei."  The movie, based on a series of four Japanese novels by Yumemakura Baku, is a Japanese-Chinese co-production.  Moonstone Entertainment is handling the film's distribution for North and South America. (news from variety.com)  IMDB gives a Chinese theatrical release date of 22 December 2017.  

The source novel's author, Yumemakura Baku, is a best-selling Japanese science fiction and adventure writer. 

With the movie completed, The $200 million set will be transformed into a theme park for the public.  It is "an entire [Tang Dynasty] city... with lakes, rivers, palaces, caves, glamorous buildings, and parks".  (This news from https://www.themarysue.com/legend-of-the-demon-cat-amusement-park/ and http://www.syfy.com/2017-7-7/legend-of-the-demon-cat-sets-themepark)

For more background on the movie - Youtube - "The Legend of the Cat Demon".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaimTO1ArE&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

The new trailer is out (found it on Film Combat Syndicate).  Chinese release is December 22, with a "subsequent rollout in February 2018" (international release?).   New trailer here - 

• Like 1

Well Go USA releases Chen Kaige's Tang dynasty fantasy film, Legend of the Demon Cat (2017), on Blu-ray on October 29, 2019.  There's an official Well Go USA trailer that I can't find online yet, but here's one in English language -

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Is there any martial arts action in it?

None.

10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

So is there a general consensus on this movie?

I liked it, and offered up my review earlier in the thread which was written at the time of its release.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I liked it, and offered up my review earlier in the thread which was written at the time of its release.

I agree. I remember it being a visually stunning adventure with a good story. Here's the trailer (again)...

• Like 2