Harakiri

Guest fabhui

WOW!!

Received the Criterion DVD of this a couple of weeks ago and got around to watching it last weekend.

I'd never seen it before and didn't have a clue what to expect.

The result - I think this must rank as the best movie I've seen this year. Stellar performances from everyone involved especially Tatsuya Nakadai who is simply superb and what masterful storytelling.

To say I was gripped from the begining to the final scene of the movie would be an understatement. Both my wife and myself were in awe.

A true classic movie!

This DVD deserves a place in everybody's collection. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several years ago, I emailed Criterion about Harakiri and they had no plans to put it out on DVD at the time.

I'm glad it's finally out ... this masterpiece deserves wider recognition.

Guest kungfusamurai

They also did a great job with the transfer. I didn't like Sword of Doom because the print was overly bright. I hope they keep up the great image with that Samurai set that's coming out in a month or so.

KFS

Guest aliu321

Finally found time to watch my copy of Sword of Doom.

Yes, much too bright. I don't know much about the technical aspects of mastering for DVD ... But I figured Criterion could do much better!

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm glad that someone else agrees with me about Sword of Doom! I bet 3 years down the line, Criterion will bring out the 'new and improved' transfer of Sword of Doom like they did with Cocteau's Beauty and The Beast, and a few other films I believe.

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
I bet 3 years down the line, Criterion will bring out the 'new and improved' transfer of Sword of Doom like they did with Cocteau's Beauty and The Beast, and a few other films I believe.

Yay!! I cant wait to spend another 30$ on the same movie!! >: ......:lol

Guest Centorpedo
Stellar performances from everyone involved especially Tatsuya Nakadai who is simply superb and what masterful storytelling.

Nakadai is quickly climbing up the charts as my favorite actor... if you get a chance see him in the non-MA film Face of Another, based on Kobo Abe's book of the same name... he's amazing in it.

Archived