Bleach (2018) Sota Fukushi, Hana Sugimaru, Ryo Yoshizawa, MIYAVI

AlbertV

Yes folks! Another live-action anime adaptation. This time, it's a 20-second teaser for Bleach. Sota Fukushi, who plays the central villain of Takashi Miike's Blade of the Immortal, plays Ichigo Kurasaki in this film directed by Shinsuke Sato (The Princess Blade)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2017 at 11:03 PM, sirtylee said:

I'm not sure if this can be on par with Rurouni Kenshin live action or Gintama live action.

Maybe not, but it can still be viewed as an entertaining modern-day samurai fantasy.  I enjoyed the first 20 episodes of the Bleach anime series, before the show turned into an endless series of fights in some other dimension.  

Someone said on Youtube that the release date for the Bleach movie was leaked in a Japanese pop culture zine - July 20, 2018.  More movie info will be released this month.   

More on Bleach, from IMDB - "Ichigo Kurosaki is a High School student, living in Karakura town. He is able to see ghosts, as well as hollows. Later, he meets up with Kuchiki Rukia, a Death God (Shinigami in Japanese). Later, he finds out that he himself is a Death God as well. Ichigo Kurosaki, now with the power of a Death God, is able to protect Karakura town from hollows."  In the Bleach Wiki - "Hollows are a race of creatures which are born from Human souls who, for various reasons, do not cross over to Soul Society after their death and stay in the Human World for too long.  They are corrupt spirits with supernatural powers, which devour the souls of both living and deceased Humans."  

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1

Crunchyroll reports that the film will also have MIYAVI as Byakuya (Rukia's brother), Taichi Saotome as Renji Abarai (Rukia's childhood friend), and Ryo Yoshizawa as Uryu Ishida (Ichigo's classmate)

_LM.jpg

MIYAVI

ssw.jpg

Taichi Saotome

VQs.jpg

Ryo Yoshizawa

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Bleach has its U.S. premiere at the Japan Cuts Festival of New Japanese Film on July 27, 2018.  Shinsuke Sato is a guest at the event.  News, new trailer and poster are from http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2018/06/bleach-teases-bloody-supernatural.html

Latest trailer - 

Latest movie poster -

IMG_20180612_191933.jpg

• Like 3

Warner Brothers began streaming a 2-minute clip from Bleach.  "The video previews the film's beginning, when Rukia tells Ichigo he must become a Soul Reaper in order to defeat the Hollow."  In its opening weekend Bleach ranked #4 at the Japanese box office.

2-minute clip (update - the clip has since disappeared)  

More action in the Bleach music video, "Mosquito Bite" - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

I initially couldn't make it as I was scheduled to be out of NYC this weekend but now my schedule have opened up.

I told one of my friend to get extra tickets just in case and he said he did (we always do) but I am not sure which of the 2 sold out shows (Saturday night) he got tickets for - hopefully there is a ticket in there for me.

• Like 1

Did anyone managed to go to the screening?

I was sick like crap over the weekend (I am still recovering) and couldn't attend.

• Like 1

Screenanarchy.com has an interview with Sato Shinsuke, the director of the live action Bleach movie by Diva Velez, for the 2018 Japan Cuts festival of contemporary Japanese cinema in New York City.  The interview is here   https://screenanarchy.com/2018/08/japan-cuts-2018-interview-bleach-director-sato-shinsuke-on-shinigami-samurai-and-special-effects.html  and (with extended content and exclusive photos) here - http://www.thedivareview.com/JapanCuts18_BLEACH_Shinsuke_Sato_Exclusive_Interview.htm  

• Like 2

Watched it Saturday. I have to say I really enjoyed it. They had to condense books 1-6 (The Soul Reaper Agent Arc) to a 108 minute film and I think they did a good job. There were loads of skepticism when they first revealed set photos of Sota Fukushi as Ichigo, but he did a good job as did the other cast members, even getting creator Tite Kubo's stamp of approval.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2018/09/16/bleach-2018/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

So my daughter and I watched this tonight. Neither of us are familiar with the source material, although my daughter is considering watching the anime now. I thought the film was just OK. It plays on one of my least-favorite film tropes: the unwilling protagonist. You know, the one who spends half the movie dilly-dallying around before he finally accepts his destiny and starts taking his training seriously. Also, the climax just dragged, as it went from one opponent to another. Comically-oversized katana may look good in comics and cartoons, but they are pretty goofy in live-action movies. There is only one real fight: Ichigo vs. Renji. It starts out kinda interesting, like a Japanese take on a Ching Siu-Tung film. But then Renji gets his own Comically-Oversized Sword and it gets real silly.

• Like 2

Tite Kubo talked about how Warner Bros. Pictures in the U.S. had interest in doing a Bleach live-action film, but when he heard what they had in mind, needless to say, he was not happy and decided to stick with Japan of course. As for Shinsuke Sato, he is tapped to make his English-language debut with the live-action My Hero Academia movie, currently being in development. 

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/bleach-hollywood-live-action-adaptation-bad-reasoning/

• Like 2