Kung Fu League (2018)

whitesnake

This news is on CityonFire and AsianFilmStrike - Twitter.  After Heavyweight Assassin,  Jeff Lau will start filming Kung Fu Big League, "a martial arts film with Vincent Zhao [as Wong Fei-hung], Andy On [as Ip Man], Dennis To [as Huo Yianjia] and Danny Chan [as Chen Zhen]".  CityonFire says - "Kung Fu Big League is essentially 'The Expendables' of kung fu legends and myths."  Ip Man (1893 - 1972), Wong Fei-hung (1847 - 1924), Huo Yuanjia (1868 - 1910), Chen Zhen (fictional student of Yuo Yuanjia, so assume mid-1880s to ?).  Overlapping period common to all is 1893 - 1910, but Ip Man was born in 1893, so assume common period for all as fighters is around 1908 to 1910.  China is still under Manchu rule during that time, so Kung Fu Big League is a costume kung fu movie.     

• Like 4

0724-00282-040b2.jpg?t=1500897713173

Ouch!!! Andy On (Tien) suffered a major injury on the set of the film in Ningbo. He seriously tore his Achilles' tendon while doing a running stunt and had to have an operation in Hong Kong. On may return to the set after two weeks of recovery. His fiancee, Jessica C. took a video, which Andy posted on his Instagram

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Well, it is a martial arts action comedy.  It is on the most anticipated martial arts movies in 2018 movie lists for Kung Fu Kingdom and Asian Movie Pulse.  Asianmoviepulse.com - "All of this sounds like some surreal Martial Arts mashup movie / dream, and with Jeff Lau (Fist of Fury, Kung Fu Cyborg, A Chinese Odyssey) attached to direct / produce it, it could well end up being some crazy martial arts comedy."  Kungfukingdom.com - "A quick Google search will clarify the divergent time periods each character originates from, but Chinese filmmakers have consistently been anything but reluctant to take a little poetic license with their homeland's folk heroes.  And in the interest of bringing these legends of martial arts together, we have to agree, facts, schmacts!  give us a little fan fiction with 'Kung Fu Big League'."

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

I'm not surprised that they are playing it safe with the comedy aspect. I'd suspect it would be an absolutely nightmare if they were to attempt any sort of historical realism with all four of the real life individuals. Unless they would go for a route not too dissimilar to that of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", there would be no point in them trying to pass off the project as serious in tone.

• Like 3

Frank Bolte

well, I wouldnt know how to make this a serious movie with that story, having 3 real kung fu masters from different times and a fictional person in one movie...

i guess it will be very entertaining though... 

• Like 2

WOW! Though the idea sounded cool, that trailer shot the idea all to hell. Looks like another wasted opportunity. 

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

C'mon guys, this is a Jeff Lau movie, was anyone really expecting anything other than what we see in the trailer?  His last movie was 'Soccer Killer', and this looks to be much in the same vein.

• Like 2

Goofy? Yeah that says it...but considering the cast, I'll still watch it. Tony Leung Siu-Hung is the action director.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Movie review of Kung Fu League here - https://asianfilmstrike.com/2018/10/30/kung-fu-league-2018-review/   (The review has spoilers, not included below).

"Bringing together four martial arts folk heroes in a time-travel adventure: it's an idea both far-fetched and obvious - an oxymoron that Jeff Lau embodies film after film.  And so Kung Fu League unites Wong Fei Hung (no introduction needed), Huo Yuan Jia (most notably played by Jet Li in Ronny Yu's Fearless), his most famous student Chen Zhen (who really existed but was given a fictional heroic fate in Lo Wei's Fist of Fury) and Ip Man (no introduction needed either)... Kung Fu League spectacularly fails to deliver on the promise of its silly but intriguing concept.  Jeff Lau's presence at the helm should have sounded a few alarms indeed, the film is his usual - and by now quite tiresome - brew of Mo Lei Tan and film spoofing, with a dash of his instantly dated fascination for technology (carried over from the painful Kung Fu Cyborg: Metallic Attraction).  And despite having four martial arts icons portrayed by a talented quartet of actors, Lau sidelines them at every turn in favor of Ashin Shu's Fei Yingxiong, an unlikeable wuss whose cringe-worthy wish-fulfillment is the plot's main focus... For two thirds of the film, fighting is scarce, just a few skirmishes fussily choreographed by Tony Leung Siu-Hung; much like in Law Wing Cheong's Iceman, the time-traveling heroes' vast fighting superiority is translated into cartoonish flourishes - Huo Yuan Jia seems to almost teleport, for example... Where Jeff Lau manages to milk his concept a bit more satisfactorily, is in its comedic application.  Seeing the four heroes storm out of Hengdian studios on horses (chased by Leung Kar Yan as a director trying to sign them for a contract), then take the subway with these horses is an amusing sight, and so is a brief karaoke duet by Ip Man and Chen Zhen.  It helps that the four actors all display unsuspected comic timing."

• Like 1

whitesnake

Well Go USA releases Kung Fu League on Blu-ray and DVD on September 17, 2019.  Info at - https://videoeta.com/items/213722-kung-fu-league and https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kung-Fu-League-Blu-ray/244476/ 

Well Go USA does not appear to have its own trailer for Kung Fu League yet, so here's one from last December -

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 5:24 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I held off for 2 years watching this one, but like a moth to a flame it finally drew me in.  I got burnt, burnt bad.  Full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/kung-fu-league-2018-review-kung-fu-alliance-big/

Keep up the great work Paul, I always worth paying a visit to CityonFire.Com for the latest news, reviews and original content.

• Like 2