Super Bodyguard (2017) aka Iron Protector/Bodyguard

mpm74

I thought there was a thread for this (I can't seem to find it).

Well Go is releasing the movie under the title "Iron Protector".... most likely changed its title to avoid confusion with Sammo Hung’s The Bodyguard.

Iron Protector is a new martial arts movie directed by and starring Yue Song (King of the Streets). Song plays Wu-Lin, who chooses a dark path to seek for revenge, and take the law in his own hands. Wu-Lin is not just a regular man, he is the successor of an ancient, once powerful Chinese clan, the “Iron Feet”.

http://cityonfire.com/a-new-bruce-lee-is-coming-according-to-this-trailer-yue-song-the-bodyguard-shi-yanneng-xing-yu/

iron.png

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 5

ShaOW!linDude

I was really disappointed with King of the Streets. Everything in this looks to be heavily reliant on wire-assisted action. I see some nice impacts and a couple of cool stunts in the trailer, but what I'm not seeing is any choreography that impresses me. If it hits Netflix, I'll sit through it, but I ain't spending no money.

Maybe @One Armed Boxer will watch this and take another bullet for me.

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, mpm74 said:

I thought there was a thread for this (I can't seem to find it).

It was one of the ones that got sucked into the black hole.

Regarding that cover though, man, that's the first time I've seen a pair of handcuffs wide enough to fit around someones leg!

6 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Yep, I'm completely down for this.  I've taken more bullets that 50 Cent this year and am still standing, so one more won't hurt.

• Like 5

On 7/7/2017 at 10:46 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Regarding that cover though, man, that's the first time I've seen a pair of handcuffs wide enough to fit around someones leg!

LMAO!

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 10:46 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Yep, I'm completely down for this.  I've taken more bullets that 50 Cent this year and am still standing, so one more won't hurt.

I would love to read your thoughts on this one. I actually have a review written though it hasn't been published yet. Hopefully soon.

To say the least, I'm planning on buying the blu-ray so I can show my friends. I personally thought this movie was fun as hell (though not a good movie per se).

On 7/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I was really disappointed with King of the Streets. Everything in this looks to be heavily reliant on wire-assisted action. I see some nice impacts and a couple of cool stunts in the trailer, but what I'm not seeing is any choreography that impresses me. If it hits Netflix, I'll sit through it, but I ain't spending no money.

I honestly haven't been able to finish King of the Streets. I was bugged by the low production value and lack of action (or anything very interesting happening). I think I turned it off about 30 minutes in. I'll hopefully get around to finishing it, but it seems Super Bodyguard is a step up (based solely off what I've seen from King of the Streets).

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

Even though the story for this movie was weak, The action was insanely awesome. I watched it with my brother and Cousin and we laughed our asses off at the last two fights of the film.

• Like 3

There was some livestream on youtube for indian audience last night and this was playing, couldn't catch the title. A bunch of us were asking the name of it so I grabbed a bunch of their emails and told them Id tell them later, Im curious too. thanks

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
13 hours ago, Koravec said:

btw, i should probably delete this thread now right?

No need...merged with the existing thread for the movie.:smile

• Like 4

• Administrator
On 7/7/2017 at 7:31 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I agree with you about KING OF THE STREETS. It was the epitome of "just okay".

Totally different story on this one though!

On 7/8/2017 at 1:46 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

It was one of the ones that got sucked into the black hole.

In the film there are large, specially designed ankle cuffs that are used on the character. However, for the cover it appears that they photoshopped some regular sized handcuffs and just made them bigger... which does look weird. :tongueout

@One Armed Boxer I think you should change your name to 36 Cent. :laugh

On 7/12/2017 at 0:37 AM, KenHashibe said:

I would love to read your thoughts on this one. I actually have a review written though it hasn't been published yet. Hopefully soon.

To say the least, I'm planning on buying the blu-ray so I can show my friends. I personally thought this movie was fun as hell (though not a good movie per se).

I honestly haven't been able to finish King of the Streets. I was bugged by the low production value and lack of action (or anything very interesting happening). I think I turned it off about 30 minutes in. I'll hopefully get around to finishing it, but it seems Super Bodyguard is a step up (based solely off what I've seen from King of the Streets).

@KenHashibe's review is wonderful and it's all my fault that it has not been published yet. I'll get it up there in the next day or so. Sorry Ken! :itwasntme

Though it rarely happens, I also had trouble finishing KING OF THE STREETS. I think I watched half, then switched to watching a couple of other films before I went back to it. In fact, I was sick at the time, and the only reason I put it back on is because it was still next to the TV and I felt so rundown that I didn't feel like leaving the bedroom and traipsing down two flights of stairs to where the movies are. :coveredlaugh It got better though, and it's worth finishing. Though it still isn't going to win any prizes or anything.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, chenzen said:

Even though the story for this movie was weak, The action was insanely awesome. I watched it with my brother and Cousin and we laughed our asses off at the last two fights of the film.

Right on, same here!

I love it and have watched it 3 times. It's like a throwback to the early '90s Hong Kong films- insane, bone-crunching action, but also a bit of humor (which I found very funny). It's got somewhat of a satirical slant, with over-the-top qualities. Imagine a sprinkling of the zaniness incorporated into the action scenes from KUNG FU HUSTLE, but not as cartoonish/outrageous. For instance the use of the sound effect of a panther growling to enhance the heroes, uh... heroics. It's somehow absurd and cool simultaneously. Yue has an interesting look too, like a cross between Stephen Chow and Jackie Chan, but with more muscles. The story is filled with coincidences and cliches, yet still remains engaging. As was typical of the time period it seems to emulate, there's liberal amounts of quick cutting and also wire-work (both done right, to good effect), but still plenty of excellent, well-filmed, hard-hitting martial arts and a great star turn by director/writer/star Yue Song (much more impressive than his first film). Lots of stuntman (and Yue) look like they got wrecked during production. :crossedlips: Despite the low budget, or perhaps because of it, everyone seems to have pushed themselves to the limit to give their all. Yue even says that for one harrowing chase scene they didn't have a professional stunt driver, but they went ahead anyway with an untrained driver. Irresponsible? Yes. Exciting looking on-screen? You bet! It's got elements and obvious influences from LEGEND OF THE WOLF, BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING, RAMBO, THE STREET FIGHTER, and Shaw Brothers films like CRIPPLED AVENGERS all mixed up into a kick ass flick. Did I mention... the "Iron Boots"? ;)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@KenHashibe's review is wonderful and it's all my fault that it has not been published yet. I'll get it up there in the next day or so. Sorry Ken! :itwasntme

Thanks @KUNG FU BOB. Not a problem. I understand you guys are busy. I'm looking forward to seeing the review up on the site. :wink

7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Though it rarely happens, I also had trouble finishing KING OF THE STREETS. I think I watched half, then switched to watching a couple of other films before I went back to it. In fact, I was sick at the time, and the only reason I put it back on is because it was still next to the TV and I felt so rundown that I didn't feel like leaving the bedroom and traipsing down two flights of stairs to where the movies are. :coveredlaugh It got better though, and it's worth finishing. Though it still isn't going to win any prizes or anything.

I still haven't finished The King of Streets:laugh I hope to finally finish it soon.

• Like 1

Let me start by saying this film is HORRIBLY directed. Seriously, everything not fight related is an absolute nightmare to sit through. This is shoddy filmmaking at its worst.

With that said, I'm torn. This film is entirely about the fights and...well...I'm just not sure. The stunt work in this film is second to none. I haven't seen this much brutality since the early days of Tony Jaa.

There are flourishes of brilliance here but, overall, there's just something disappointing about the action on display. It's sped up, slowed down, edited oddly in places, hyper realistic and then hyper silly. It's enjoyable but just not THAT enjoyable.

The good moments are exceptionally good, but they're really few and far between. So often the fights are just too over the top or too sped up to enjoy. Even the end fight, which should have been good, is a match of poorly edited short strength. It's all very daft and, at times, ugly.

Is it terrible? No. Is it good? Certainly not. It's just a mess of a film with an emphasis on a mixed bag of action.

• Like 3

Well, between @KUNG FU BOB's & @Drunken Monk's remarks, I'm not too sure what to do here. I kinda want to see it, but then I kinda don't. I reckon I will eventually, but right now I think it's a safe bet for me that I not drop any hard-earned money on this.

• Like 1

I finally took a chance with this one. It was completely over the top, but in a good way. Outside of the penultimate fight, where Yue Song takes on fifty bodyguards decked in riot gear, most of the wires were reserved for people getting knocked back dozens of feet...with every. single. hit. But the fights were fun for the most part, although the one where we fights all the specialized killers suffered from too many quick cuts. Xing Yu gets ample fight time and is our character's final opponent. The film does come across as a vanity project for Yue, although during the end credits, there are production stills onscreen with subtitles stating that he and his team set out to make the greatest kung fu movie ever. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I can respect that approach.

I also have to mention the bizarre scene where one of Li Yufei's friends tries to seduce our hero, only for the sequence to end with the strangest dick joke I've ever seen.

• Like 2