Sword Of The Beast

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just saw the Criterion release of Hideo Gosha's Sword Of The Beast on the shelf at my local shop. Have found several luke-warm reviews on this one. Anybody know if htis one is any good, worth the 25$-30$ price tag?? Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

I bought the film as a boot a year or so ago. I enjoyed it a lot. I've seen most of Hideo Gosha's stuff from the 60's, except for the Secret of The Urn, and found every title enjoyable.

KFS

Guest Centorpedo

I thought Sword of the Beast was a fantastic movie, with fleshed out characters, interesting camerawork & composition, nice flurries of action, and some superb pacing overall. The lead character, Gennousuke, was a compelling blend of good & bad, naive & world-weary, and on the whole the film had a loose feel to it, sometimes comical or tongue in cheek, other times chipping away at bigger issues, of the cynical anti-authority variety. It felt to me like a cross between some heavier Chambara, a'la Harakiri, and lighter action-y fare such as the Lone Wolf & Cub films.

However ...I thought the Criterion transfer was one of the most jittery I've seen yet. The picture was shaking so uncontrollably at times that it took me out of the film completely.

I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum noticed it too. This is Criterion, we're talking about... there's not supposed to be jitter!

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm still waiting for my Rebel Samurai set. It's still on order with DeepdiscountDVD. I will give my opinion on the transfers.

KFS

Guest Yakuza954

I just saw the film and I agree with everyone else, loved it. This and Harakiri have been back to back gold. Didn't notice any jitter in the Criterion version though, too involved in the film. Next up: Samurai Spy

Guest slaXor420
However ...I thought the Criterion transfer was one of the most jittery I've seen yet. The picture was shaking so uncontrollably at times that it took me out of the film completely.

You mean flickering?Because Samurai Rebellion has the same problem too.

It's only really noticeable in the first and last 15-20 minutes though.Some lines here and there as well.

Wouldn't say it took me out of the film but it was definately noticeable and irritating at times.

I think the reason is these are just considered barebones budget releases from Criterion that they are not going to put as much effort in to as their other releases that are usually double disc for all the extras and have a much higher price tag.

I scored Samurai Rebellion and Samurai Spy for $19.99 each at a place that sells all their other Criterions for $35.99 each.

Guest Yakuza954

Saw Samurai Spy today. This movie is the Japanese step-father of all the Chu Yuan flicks with its posturing, who dun' it mysteries, and extensive clan conflicts. It starts off interesting enough but like a bad Chu yuan movie too many stock characters are introduced and the potentially interesting lead character and action choreography play 2nd fiddle to boring clan rubbish. I feel Criterion dropped the ball choosing to re-master and release this thing, especially alongside stuff like Sword of the Beast and Samurai Rebellion. No doubt the arthouse in them was clouding their judgement, for a samurai movie it is chock full of noir and people drifting in skies, rivers, dreams and talking in monotone. It's enough to give any self-appointed arthouse film buff a big wet one, unfortunately it dosen't advance the film any and just comes off as pretentious, bad, and lame. 2/5 stars.

Guest kungfusamurai

Samurai Spy is definitely the weakest of the four flicks they are releasing in this batch. But it was good enough for me that I'd like to see the sequel.

KFS

Guest slaXor420

I haven't seen Sword of the Beast yet but I actually found Samurai Spy to be the best of the other three.

I like Chor Yuan movies though so maybe that's why I liked Samurai Spy.Had nothing to do with it being artsy though.

I thought for a samurai movie they kept it moving at a pretty good pace which was a nice change from the norm.

Also found the action to be alot better then Samurai Rebellion and Kill!.

Didn't know their was a sequel though but i'm looking forward to an eventual/possible release. :)

Archived