Anyone watch Autopsy: The Last Hours of Bruce Lee?

mpm74

JohnnieFreeze
On 11/26/2017 at 10:41 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

No mention of Bruce Lee's alleged anabolic steroid use.

IF Bruce used anabolics it would've been to offset the catabolic effects of the cortisone injections. That stuff will make you fat and eat away muscle very quickly. 

Cognoscente

There's an episode of "History's Greatest Mysteries" called The Death of Bruce Lee, and I like it more than the Autopsy doc (and the Blaxploitation movie of the same name).

Not even Morgan Freeman could have delivered better narration than Laurence Fishburne. In fact, Fishburne may be the best narrator I've heard on a Bruce Lee doc. Given how he was a part of the CSI franchise, he was an inspired choice. Still, it's so weird seeing him in it after having been accustomed to his character in Black-ish.

I was surprised that they didn't identify Fan Mei-Sheng when talking about the infamous playground story, especially in light of Bey Logan's son working on this doc as a researcher. Fan has publicly denounced Bruce being murdered, so the "previously unheard recording" makes me wonder if he was okay with being recorded*. It certainly sounds like they were at the same restaurant that Bey mentioned in his book - Bruce Lee and I. I recognized Bey's Cantonese voice when Fan was asked which men had invited Bruce to the location. That's another thing: Fan's recollection is somewhat different from what Bey wrote in his book.

In the book, Bey wrote: "On the night of his demise, Lee had been lured to a small children's playground on Tak Hing Street under the pretext of meeting Ting Pei. Once there, Lee was set up by metal pole wielding thugs, and was felled by a fatal blow to the back of the head."

In this doc, Fan says: "Some guys asked him to meet up at Tak Hing Street. There was a playground there, right across from where Ting Pei lived. After he'd arrived, they were planning to attack him from behind. They were hiding in the playground with metal sticks in order to ambush him."

* Fan could easily have gotten Bey to turn off the recorder so that he could speak off the record. It was Bey's wife, Elizabeth, who broached the subject of Bruce's death as Bey noted in his book: "When I finally ran out of steam, having discussed his work at Shaw Bros and Golden Harvest, I was catching my breath when I heard Elizabeth ask "Fan Sifu, how did Bruce Lee die?" Which is not a question I would have thought to ask in those circumstances. Certainly, from our earlier conversation, I realized Fan was closer to Bruce Lee than I had realized. Fan had recorded the voices for several characters, though not Bruce's, for the Mandarin versions of Lee's films. Though contracted as an actor at Shaw Bros, Fan Sifu was allowed to dub Golden Harvest films. Fan even claims that he was the one to introduce Betty Ting Pei to Bruce - this was on the Golden Harvest backlot, after a recording session there. Per usual, Fan and Betty were chatting in the car park when Bruce roared up in a sports car. "Who's that guy?" she asked, and the rest is history."

On the Bruce Lee Lives forum, Bey addressed the playground anecdote in a Q&A session: "I did actually debate whether or not to share the story in print, given that I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Other than the fact that Fan Mui-sang so obviously believes it himself! He did mention other things that I didn’t use in the book. For example, he gave details of why he believes Bruce had already broken up with Betty Ting Pei some time before the night of his death. It involves a leading Hong Kong jockey of that era! Fan also talked in detail about how much money had changed hands between whom to keep the real facts of Lee’s death covered up, and, even all these years on, I was concerned about the legal ramifications of sharing that kind of information in print. Given that I knew the kind of reaction it would get, I might have been better keeping Fan Mui-sang’s testimony to myself, but, within certain legal and ethical parameters, the responsibility of an historian and author is to share whatever he finds."

• Like 2