Austin TX: Old School Kung Fu Weekend July 8 and 9

inframan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen FOTWL, Return of the Venoms and Young Master, are any of the others essential viewing on the big screen?

DragonClaws
36 minutes ago, inframan said:

I've seen FOTWL, Return of the Venoms and Young Master, are any of the others essential viewing on the big screen?

Snake Deadly Act, is one of my favorite independent old school Kung Fu movies. I'd go see it on the big screen, but it might not be essential viewing to you or others. Are they charging people much to go see these movies?.

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Snake Deadly Act, is one of my favorite independent old school Kung Fu movies. I'd go see it on the big screen, but it might not be essential viewing to you or others. Are they charging people much to go see these movies?.

Its $11 for a ticket or $55 for a pass to all of em. Thanks for the suggestion, I was curious about that one.

KenHashibe

Well, looks like it's time to go to Austin (I wish).

I like Snake Deadly Act though I don't love it unfortunately. FarEastFilms.com's review of Snake Deadly Act sums up my thoughts perfectly. I've seen Fist of the White Lotus in 35mm already and that's one hell of a good time. Crippled Avengers is a great film (I don't like it as much as most), and seeing it in 35mm would be a real treat. Bastard Swordsman is easily one of the greatest experiences I've ever had watching a movie in 35mm! I can't stress that enough! Young Master is fantastic. I've always wanted to see it on the big screen in 35mm. Maybe someday. And finally, I've never heard of Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger. I've tried searching for it but have found nothing. Does anyone know an alternate title?

Have fun you guys. This is definitely not an event to miss.

On 7/3/2017 at 11:03 AM, inframan said:

Bastard Swordsman. I've been dying to relive the experience of seeing it on the big screen.

DragonClaws
15 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

I've never heard of Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger. I've tried searching for it but have found nothing. Does anyone know an alternate title?

Found this online.

Sabertooth Dragon Vs. The Fiery Tiger

Series: Kung Fu Theater

Kung Fu Theater presents the only known 35mm print of this martial arts obscurity! Advance tickets are strongly recommended.

SABERTOOTH DRAGON VS. THE FIERY TIGER (1977) When a newly appointed king abuses his power, a group of young fighters begin planning a kung fu coup! Suspicious of his subjects, the king outfits his palace with deadly booby traps and lethal weaponry. The young fighters set out to kill the king, but also must cope with kung fu bodyguards and a group of Tibetan assassins armed with flying guillotines! Co-starring the great Lo Lieh (36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN), this movie has never been released on dvd.

Link- https://hollywoodtheatre.org/events/sabertooth-dragon-vs-the-fiery-tiger/

sbrthdrgn.jpg

More on this poster over at Temple Of Schlock, Link- http://templeofschlock.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/movie-ad-of-week-sabertooth-dragon-vs.html

KenHashibe

I just realized that The Greatest Plot and Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger are the same film. I wasn't aware @lungfei was referring to Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger as The Greatest Plot. Despite Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger not being listed as an alternate title for The Greatest Plot on HKMDB, it is the only film starring Hsu Feng directed by Jun Au Yeung from 1977 listed on HKMDB. I wonder where this alternate title came from. Thanks @lungfei.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9316&display_set=eng

24 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

I just realized that The Greatest Plot and Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger are the same film. I wasn't aware @lungfei was referring to Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger as The Greatest Plot. Despite Sabertooth Dragon vs the Fiery Tiger not being listed as an alternate title for The Greatest Plot on HKMDB, it is the only film starring Hsu Feng directed by Jun Au Yeung from 1977 listed on HKMDB. I wonder where this alternate title came from. Thanks @lungfei.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9316&display_set=eng

np ken the english dubbed dvdr i've saw of this movie comes from a transfer done from american reels.

vlcsnap-2017-07-04-21h41m13s315.png

KenHashibe
38 minutes ago, lungfei said:

np ken the english dubbed dvdr i've saw of this movie comes from a transfer done from american reels.

Man, US distributors always give these movies some pretty crazy titles (sometimes better titles, i.e. Five Fingers of Death). Anyway, thanks again for the insight. I might have to track this down and give it a watch.

I've seen Crippled Avengers a couple times on 35mm and I also Young Master a few months ago in the theater. I'll have to look into Bastard Swordsman.

KenHashibe
On 7/5/2017 at 11:49 AM, inframan said:

I've seen Crippled Avengers a couple times on 35mm and I also Young Master a few months ago in the theater. I'll have to look into Bastard Swordsman.

Definitely. I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think.

Due to time (and money) constraints I went with one show: The Saber Tooth Dragon VS. The Fiery Tiger aka The Greatest Plot.

Lots of fun, the print was missing the first minute or so, a few other jump cuts due to the age of the print. It was the English dubbed version, I counted only one "Listen", and zero "But Still's." The movie has a little bit of everything thrown in: an evil king, betrayed friends plotting revenge, training from a monk with long eyebrows, a room of traps, flying guillotines, the list goes on.

21 hours ago, inframan said:

Due to time (and money) constraints I went with one show: The Saber Tooth Dragon VS. The Fiery Tiger aka The Greatest Plot.

Lots of fun, the print was missing the first minute or so, a few other jump cuts due to the age of the print. It was the English dubbed version, I counted only one "Listen", and zero "But Still's." The movie has a little bit of everything thrown in: an evil king, betrayed friends plotting revenge, training from a monk with long eyebrows, a room of traps, flying guillotines, the list goes on.

That's pretty cool. Must've been fun with an audience. Shocked by zero "but still's". Sucks you couldn't have gone to more shows, though I imagine The Greatest Plot was still a great time.

This might be a topic for another thread if it hasn't already been talked about but as I was clicking around the Hollywood theater website I noticed they have Shaolin Vs Lama and Mystery of Chessboxing on 35mm!

7 hours ago, inframan said:

This might be a topic for another thread if it hasn't already been talked about but as I was clicking around the Hollywood theater website I noticed they have Shaolin Vs Lama and Mystery of Chessboxing on 35mm!

I'd love to see a topic started for the screenings at the Hollywood Theatre. They have their monthly "Kung Fu Theater" series, and a number of Hong Kong/martial arts movies are shown for their "Grindhouse Film Festival" series and their "B-Movie Bingo" series. I'm always jealous of the folks up in Portland. Hong Kong movies are shown relatively frequently over there.* And they show some really obscure stuff sometimes (i.e. The Magic Crystal).

I don't know anyone on the forum who lives in Portland though. If anyone reading this lives in Portland and attends these screenings, create a thread and recap your experiences as they come up (similar with what I do with the New Beverly).

*Even though I'm jealous of the fans up in Portland, I should still be thankful with what I have. I'm kinda spoiled living where I do. :tongueout

Archived