Martial Arts Film: Dream Director & cast?

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Can anyone think of any director you would like to see direct a Martials Arts movie, that hasnt done so already?. For me, I'd love to see Walter Hill(Hard Times, The Long Riders) direct one during the late 70's or id 80's. Not that I wouldnt be interested in seeing him do this now, I just think those were his peak years as a director. It would have been interestng to see how he would have handled a Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal movie for example. Wonder what it would have been like if Steven Spielberg, had directed a fourth Indiana Jones movie back in the 80's?. Given it an Asian setting, incorporating some Hong Kong locations and Kung Fu fighters into the story.

Are there any directors new or old you would like to see direct a Martial Arts production?.

Dream team, John Woo directs Van Damme on the set of Hard Target(1993).

07517.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Steven Spielberg would do a great job,he definitely has an eye for action especially the big set pieces and the build up before it all kicked off would be like nothing we have seen before in martial arts films but something tells me he's not going to bother doing one.(no harm in dreaming though)?

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, sym8 said:

I always thought Steven Spielberg would do a great job,he definitely has an eye for action especially the big set pieces and the build up before it all kicked off would be like nothing we have seen before in martial arts films but something tells me he's not going to bother doing one.(no harm in dreaming though)?

He may have made a movie featuring Martial Arts that was aimed younger audience?. The new Power Rangers movie will hopefully spark some interest in Martial Arts, in the younger generations who went to see the recent movie.

Tony Scott, it would have been great to see him handle a big budget Martial Arts production.

His brother Ridley, did a great job with Black Rain(1989), which had some nods Japanese action cinema.

yes master tai and spielberg would be a winning combination two of the best indy would have to outwit hordes of taiwanese ninjas. :D

but if the opposite where done and and an eastern director would have to do a western movie?

robert tai's spiderman starring chin ka lok would be my choice

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, lungfei said:

but if the opposite where done and and an eastern director would have to do a western movie?

Thats an interesting thought @lungfei, what if Wong Jing was given the task of directing the next Marvel movie?. I know there's more chance of me winning the lottery, than that happening, but it would be interesting to see him direct such a film.

Ringo Lam directs Jean Claude Van Damme, on the set of In Hell(2003).

in-hell.jpg

49 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats an interesting thought @lungfei, what if Wong Jing was given the task of directing the next Marvel movie?. I know there's more chance of me winning the lottery, than that happening, but it would be interesting to see him direct such a film.

Ringo Lam directs Jean Claude Van Damme, on the set of In Hell(2003).

in-hell.jpg

wong jing eh hmmm.gif

proberbly something like this for two whole hours. :D

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Cool thread @DragonClaws. I used to daydream about this very subject. Here are some of my "wish list" directors...

Oliver Stone. He is a self-professed Asian cinema fan, and loves Michelle Yeoh. When I first heard this I used to fantasize about Stone directing a kung fu epic starring Yeoh (whom I adore) with the same passion and skill he put into his best, like THE DOORS, PLATOON, BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, and NATURAL BORN KILLERS.

Martin Scorsese. Imagine him doing a film on kung fu or karate that had the same visceral impact that RAGING BULL had on boxing, and with the same depth of story, characterization, and acting performances as TAXI DRIVER, GOODFELLAS, etc.

Michael Cimino (R.I.P.) made the fantastic (f**k the critics who disagree :angel:) YEAR OF THE DRAGON (not to mention DEER HUNTER), and would likely have produced something magical on the subject.

Francis Ford Coppola! KUNG FU APOCOLYPSE NOW please!

Stanley Kubrick. The guy's talent would surely have created a genre masterpiece.

David Cronenberg. I'd love to see what Cronenberg's "body horror" sensibilities and cerebral approach to story lines would've resulted in had he (or if he) ever tackled the genre.

I also agree that Spielberg and Walter Hill would've made great martial arts-infused adventures in their earlier years.

DragonClaws
On 30/07/2017 at 11:18 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

David Cronenberg. I'd love to see what Cronenberg's "body horror" sensibilities and cerebral approach to story lines would've resulted in had he (or if he) ever tackled the genre.

How would a U.S re-make of Boxers Omen(1983) looked with David Cronberg at the helm?.

Michael Cimino (R.I.P.) made the fantastic (f**k the critics who disagree :angel:) YEAR OF THE DRAGON (not to mention DEER HUNTER), and would likely have produced something magical on the subject.

Cimino was a great director, his debut Thunderbolt & Lightfoot(1976) is a classic, he thanked Clint Eastwood for giving him his big break.

Oliver Stone. He is a self-professed Asian cinema fan, and loves Michelle Yeoh. When I first heard this I used to fantasize about Stone directing a kung fu epic starring Yeoh (whom I adore) with the same passion and skill he put into his best, like THE DOORS, PLATOON, BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, and NATURAL BORN KILLERS.

Never heard about Oliver Stone being an Asian movie/Michille Yeoh fan.

Oliver Stone with Fan Bing Bing.

BN-CL954_stone0_G_20140422064751.jpg

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

How would a U.S re-make of Boxers Omen(1983) looked with David Cronberg at the helm?.

Cimino was a great director, his debut Thunderbolt & Lightfoot(1976) is a classic, he thanked Clint Eastwood for giving him his big break.

Never heard about Oliver Stone being an Asian movie/Michille Yeoh fan.

Oliver Stone with Fan Bing Bing.

I am totally down with your Croneberg/BOXER'S OMEN idea. That would be a must-see film.

Oh yeah, THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is great! Even Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE is, despite common misconception, an impressive and beautiful film. Cimino went a bit mad with the power he had achieved by making THE DEER HUNTER, and this led to excessive production indulgences, mostly due to his perfectionism. The film received lots of bad press and went so vastly over budget that it nearly bankrupt United Artists. Unfortunately, by many it is remembered as a "disaster" due to these things, and the merits of the actual film were largely forgotten. Thanks to it's recent release by Criterion on Blu-ray and DVD, it seems that it's starting to be further appreciated/recognized as the accomplished drama/western that it is.

Oliver Stone was quoted on the front cover of Thomas Weisser's book Asian Cult Cinema, and I recall reading an interview with him somewhere (possibly in Premiere magazine?) where he mentioned his love of Asian cinema and I believe he said that Michelle Yeoh was his favorite actress.

Drunken Monk

I hate to say it but I think Michael Bay would make a fantastic martial arts film. Say what you want about some of his films, the man knows how to stage action. His smaller films like "13 Hours" and even "Bad Boys" have perfect action. I think if he went more intimate rather than Hollywood blockbuster, he'd make a great kung fu movie.

DragonClaws
19 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Oh yeah, THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is great! Even Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE is, despite common misconception, an impressive and beautiful film. Cimino went a bit mad with the power he had achieved by making THE DEER HUNTER, and this led to excessive production indulgences, mostly due to his perfectionism. The film received lots of bad press and went so vastly over budget that it nearly bankrupt United Artists. Unfortunately, by many it is remembered as a "disaster" due to these things, and the merits of the actual film were largely forgotten. Thanks to it's recent release by Criterion on Blu-ray and DVD, it seems that it's starting to be further appreciated/recognized as the accomplished drama/western that it is.

The epic Heavin's Gate I've yet to see, read a lot about the films problems with the studio regarding its run time.

This article might interest you, Link- http://www.bbc.co.uk/culture/story/20151120-heavens-gate-from-hollywood-disaster-to-masterpiece

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I hate to say it but I think Michael Bay would make a fantastic martial arts film. Say what you want about some of his films, the man knows how to stage action. His smaller films like "13 Hours" and even "Bad Boys" have perfect action. I think if he went more intimate rather than Hollywood blockbuster, he'd make a great kung fu movie.

Getting back on topic, I don't hate the Tranformers movies, but boy are they hard to watch. Sure i'd love them a lot more, if I was still a seven year old fan of tranforming robots.

Enjoyed Con-Air and The Rock, but felt the latter was one of those movies that helped kick off the whole shakey cam/fast editing craze.

It would be interesting to see how he would handle a smaller scale movie with Martial Arts.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The epic Heavin's Gate I've yet to see, read a lot about the films problems with the studio regarding its run time.

This article might interest you, Link- http://www.bbc.co.uk/culture/story/20151120-heavens-gate-from-hollywood-disaster-to-masterpiece

Getting back on topic, I don't hate the Tranformers movies, but boy are they hard to watch. Sure i'd love them a lot more, if I was still a seven year old fan of tranforming robots.

Enjoyed Con-Air and The Rock, but felt the latter was one of those movies that helped kick off the whole shakey cam/fast editing craze.

It would be interesting to see how he would handle a smaller scale movie with Martial Arts.

Thanks @DragonClaws, I'll check it out. I remember reading a book about the making of the film when I was a teen. I hadn't seen HEAVEN'S GATE at the time, but still found the behind-the-scenes stories of the production to be fascinating.

maybe rob cohen as well the guy responsible for dragon lee jr story hmmm.gif

this time he could make it authentic and cast some hitler tashed plate throwing samurai's like in the original. :D 

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, lungfei said:

maybe rob cohen as well the guy responsible for dragon lee jr story hmmm.gif

Reminds me of the Aprils Fool's story about Rob Cohen/Dragon Lee, that was posted over at CityOnFire.Com.

Maybe Cohen should directed a Bruce Lee Clones bio-movie?.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Reminds me of the Aprils Fool's story about Rob Cohen/Dragon Lee, that was posted over at CityOnFire.Com.

Maybe Cohen should directed a Bruce Lee Clones bio-movie?.

could be the best biopic of bruce to date they should cast dragon shek i reckon. hmmm.gif

DragonClaws
On 02/08/2017 at 3:41 PM, lungfei said:

could be the best biopic of bruce to date they should cast dragon shek i reckon. hmmm.gif

Dragon Sek plays multiple parts in the most demanding role of his life. He porrtrays Bruce Li, Bruce Le and Dragon Lee in the ultimate clones bio film, directed by none other than Rob Cohen.

Archived