Blind Fury

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

BLIND FURY is based on the series of Japanese movies made during the 1960s that featured Zatoichi, a wandering blind swordfighter. Updated and Americanized by scriptwriter Charles Robert Carner and director Phillip Noyce, Zatoichi is now Nick Parker (Rutger Hauer), a soldier blinded in action in the Vietnam War and nursed back to health by Vietnamese villagers. Nick develops an acute sense of hearing and, in spite of his disability, becomes a master swordsman--all during the opening credits.

BLIND FURY retains the mixture of humor, violence, and sentiment that characterized the original films. Left in charge of young Billy Devereaux (Brandon Call) after the death of his mother, Nick takes Billy across the United States by bus. However, the pair is menaced by overwhelming numbers of vicious thugs led by Slag (Randall "Tex" Cobb, who plays the bounty hunter in the Coen brothers’ RAISING ARIZONA) on the journey. Nick, of course, handles these predicaments with casual skill, luck, good humor, and his trusty hidden samurai sword.

My Review:OK for those of you who haven't seen this movie it is a really good movie, I'm a Huge Zatoichi Fan and I've been trying to get this movie for a while now and its definitely worth adding to your Samurai Collection, the end fight scene alone is worth it when he fights Sho Kosugi. The only bad thing about this movie is they should've made a sequel.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

I thought it had a good deal of Action, there were quite a few Zatochi movies that didn't have all that much Action. Maybe you should watch it again.

Guest Soda drink

this film will always be regarded high by me, because this was one of the action films I saw when I was around 9 or 10 that made me love sword fighting...which, in turn, made me seek other sword fights thus leading me to discover zatoichi and the samurai flicks.

Archived