Kung Fu Movie Masterclass: Short Tongue In Cheek Documentary

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

YouTube snyopsis- Tongue-in-cheek documentary short presented by comedian Alexei Sayle, about Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema from BBC 2's Kung Fu Night broadcast in 1997.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm

wish i could rewind the 90's back for a year..the kung fu scene, shops, events, magazines, jackie and hong kong film seasons on terrestrial tv..the sunday markets..

then in 97 summer we had the kung fu night, seems surreal now.

DragonClaws
On 29/06/2017 at 9:23 PM, sifu iron perm said:

wish i could rewind the 90's back for a year..the kung fu scene, shops, events, magazines, jackie and hong kong film seasons on terrestrial tv..the sunday markets..

It was a good time, but there was also the strict censorship imposed on the U.K video market back then. Then the over priced poor quaity bootlegs, that people made money from selling them at steep prices.

On 29/06/2017 at 9:23 PM, sifu iron perm said:

then in 97 summer we had the kung fu night, seems surreal now.

Do you recalll the Bruce Lee weekend Channel Four did in the summer of 2000?.

sifu iron perm
On 2017-7-4 at 7:37 PM, DragonClaws said:

It was a good time, but there was also the strict censorship imposed on the U.K video market back then. Then the over priced poor quaity bootlegs, that people made money from selling them at steep prices.

Do you recalll the Bruce Lee weekend Channel Four did in the summer of 2000?.

1. No question, we were getting ripped off by the bbfc and the bootlegging traders. 

2. The bruce lee channel 4 season! Yes!!! 17 years ago!! Jesus!

DragonClaws
3 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

2. The bruce lee channel 4 season! Yes!!! 17 years ago!! Jesus!

That makes me feel old, I was still in school when that season aired.

Recall being on Holiday with family, and making them watch Bruce Lee movies at night didnt go down too well. It was the first time I'd caught the Little Dragons movie in widescreen with subs. Sadly the BBFC ban on nunchaku was still in place at the time. Still credit to Channel Four for showing the most complete versions they could at the time, restoring prevously cut non weapons based footage. They filmed a documentary specially for the season, interviewing people that were apart of Lee's life, rather than celebrities.

Archived