The Old Master (1979)

Leung Tsan

hoooowwwllly snap !!! I just finished watching now The Old Master..... I bought it online a few months ago and I did not expect to take such a blast.

I hope I dont spoil but I loved how they showed another different style to present the relationship master/student...... Anyway everything in this movie was very interesting and I personnaly really liked it..... and it's happening in the USA which gives it a nice flavor too.... the humour too was pretty good.... damn Joseph Kuo nailed it another time for me.....

Oh and the final..... :rockon for sure our brother KungFuBob loved it !!!! I personally had chills just a few minutes ago.... so I am freshly speaking about it....

Damn Kung Fu movies are sooooooo bad !! not bad mean bad but bad mean good!!!

Anyway.... I am sure many of you already saw it as it is a Joseph Kuo, but for some reason this particular movie had something that got to me differently than usual.....

DragonClaws

I rented Old Master a long time ago it was part of the M.I.A Old School Kung Fu collection on DVD. The contemporary setting was a nice change to the period films Joseph Kuo is normally associated with. Recall enjoying the film but its so long since I watched it some parts a bit hazy.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
hoooowwwllly snap !!! I just finished watching now The Old Master..... I bought it online a few months ago and I did not expect to take such a blast.

I hope I dont spoil but I loved how they showed another different style to present the relationship master/student...... Anyway everything in this movie was very interesting and I personnaly really liked it..... and it's happening in the USA which gives it a nice flavor too.... the humour too was pretty good.... damn Joseph Kuo nailed it another time for me.....

Oh and the final..... :rockon for sure our brother KungFuBob loved it !!!! I personally had chills just a few minutes ago.... so I am freshly speaking about it....

Damn Kung Fu movies are sooooooo bad !! not bad mean bad but bad mean good!!!

Anyway.... I am sure many of you already saw it as it is a Joseph Kuo, but for some reason this particular movie had something that got to me differently than usual.....

Though I ow this film, I haven't ever seen it yet. :thinking

But your rave review certainly has me wanting to watch it, and see what you were referring to. :nodding

Though I ow this film, I haven't ever seen it yet. :thinking

But your rave review certainly has me wanting to watch it, and see what you were referring to. :nodding

oooooh yes, I was sure you saw that movie already, but still, the final is for you brother, and the whole movie is just a great moment, you will love it !!!

I saw this in a secondhand shop but I thought I'd ask the opinions of my fellow kung fu movie acolytes before committing to buy. It caught my attention because it claims to feature the only film performance of Yu-Jim-Yuen, the famous master of the Seven Little Fortunes. I guess my question is - is it any good? Or worth watching? Do we get to see the man in action, or is it a lot of doubling?

NoKUNGFUforYU

Heard it wasn't too hot. But who knows? It stars that New York Chinese Goju master, William Louie, right? Heard he was a big time insurance salesman now. guys gotta make a living, right?

• Like 1

I own a UK copy. He's doubled. Meh fighting and comedy.. so bad it's one of them you laugh at

1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Heard it wasn't too hot. But who knows? It stars that New York Chinese Goju master, William Louie, right? Heard he was a big time insurance salesman now. guys gotta make a living, right?

Yes. Bill Louie 

Well seeing as it's the oh so pricey sum of 50p in my local CEX, I'm going to have to pick this up and have a look. It's a shame because what I really want to see is Painted Faces, but there doesn't appear to be an official release of that anywhere (I know it's on YouTube but I can't watch a whole film at a computer)

• Like 1

DragonClaws
7 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

Well seeing as it's the oh so pricey sum of 50p in my local CEX, I'm going to have to pick this up and have a look. It's a shame because what I really want to see is Painted Faces, but there doesn't appear to be an official release of that anywhere (I know it's on YouTube but I can't watch a whole film at a computer)

Rented this one many years ago, don't recall it being that impressive. At the same time I didnt find it all that bad, recall there being some nunchaku use in the film. For 50p its a bargain, and while it isnt a classic of the 70's, its a curiosity peice with the presence of Jackie Chans Master.

NoKUNGFUforYU

As far as watching on a computer, you can simply get a USB cable and plug it in. Works very well actually, if you have a decent laptop. Also, smart TV's are a great investment. Watch a lot of cool stuff on youtube on my samsung. And it hasn't caught fire or exploded!

TheKungFuRobber

I actually really enjoyed The Old Master. It's a more family-oriented kung fu movie I think. Not great fighting but still a fun movie. Interesting to see Wu Jim Yuen play a patient and fatherly figure in this film, in real life he was known to be abusive towards his students, and would frequently beat them and starve them until they performed to his standards.

• Like 2

Easily the worst of the four in the first set . This is a notable one because it takes place in Los Angeles and stars Jim Yuen Yu, the teacher of Jackie Chan, Sammo, Yuen Biao etc.  

But it’s a mess. Everyone’s timing and dialogue is slow and awkward, the main plot point disappears after 15 minutes and the fighting is really not that good in the first half . Jim is constantly doubled and only shot from behind so we don’t see the face of the double . Bill Louie (the second lead here) is constantly doing the Bruce Lee “wah” throughout his fights. There is admittedly a good finale in the last 10 minutes, but it really dosent save the movie . 

I do wanna mention a scene here that takes place in a club . Jim dances with a lady(and he actually spins around on the ground and bust out some moves ) to a disco version of the Popeye the sailor man theme . This whole club sequence  is so “ WTF” it’s almost worth watching the movie just for that alone . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, HeavenSword said:

Easily the worst of the four in the first set . This is a notable one because it takes place in Los Angeles and stars Jim Yuen Yu, the teacher of Jackie Chan, Sammo, Yuen Biao etc.  

But it’s a mess. Everyone’s timing and dialogue is slow and awkward, the main plot point disappears after 15 minutes and the fighting is really not that good in the first half . Jim is constantly doubled and only shot from behind so we don’t see the face of the double . Bill Louie (the second lead here) is constantly doing the Bruce Lee “wah” throughout his fights. There is admittedly a good finale in the last 10 minutes, but it really dosent save the movie . 

I do wanna mention a scene here that takes place in a club . Jim dances with a lady(and he actually spins around on the ground and bust out some moves ) to a disco version of the Popeye the sailor man theme . This whole club sequence  is so “ WTF” it’s almost worth watching the movie just for that alone . 

Absolutely off topic, but isn't it you who used Wei Pai as avatar ?! Too bad that you changed it, even if I also love Ko Fei !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Absolutely off topic, but isn't it you who used Wei Pai as avatar ?! Too bad that you changed it, even if I also love Ko Fei !

Haha yes. But this pic of Ko Fei is bad ass ! 

• Like 2

I'm currently watching The Old Master and well...I'm at the dancing club, and I fond this scene ridiculous ! The old man dancing Huangmei opera while all others are dancing disco is so bad...

Not a very interesting movie...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm currently watching The Old Master and well...I'm at the dancing club, and I fond this scene ridiculous ! The old man dancing Huangmei opera while all others are dancing disco is so bad...

Not a very interesting movie...

Ok, I just finished to watch it, and all I can say, is that there are some good fights. The scenes with the landlady bored me a lot, but the fights between Bill and the bad guys, and the fights between the old master and the bad guys were good. and there were some funny moments too.

• Like 2