The Women of Martial Arts Cinema & T.V - Articles/News/Reviews & Interviews

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

linda5.jpg

Nora Gorbe was kicking ass and taking care of business. In the decade which saw the height of the male driven actioner, the 1980's. Her show was very original for its time. Linda The Policewoman might look dated now, but this must have been really rare back then. Not sure why they dubbed cat like war cries over some of her moves?. I'm not sure if this series got released in other European countries?, have you heard of this one before @ShawAngela?

Just for kicks: how a kung-fu fighting female TV detective reshaped gender norms in the Eastern Bloc

Link- https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/6656/linda-detective-karate-tv-series-hungarian

You can check out some of the shows fight action, in the clips below.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

I never saw that and never heard about it until today !

Strange cats cries, indeed !

The only series with female fighters I saw in the 70's and 80's were The avengers (Diana Rigg, Linda Thorson and Joanna Lumley ; I discovered Honor Blackam only when I got the dvds of the whole series in the 2000's) ; The champions (Alexandra Bastedo) ; The girl form UNCLE (Jennifer Powers), I don't remember the English title for " Poigne de fer et séduction " (Nyree Dawn Porter), nor for " L'amour du risque " (Robert Wagner and Jennifer Powers), Charlie's angels, and maybe that there were some female fighters also in Department S and Jason King, I'm not sure.

Maybe there were other ones that I don't remember, these ones being those which marked enough my child mind to later introduce me to the martial arts movies...

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 7/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, ShawAngela said:

I never saw that and never heard about it until today !

It was totally new to me too, those cat sounds didnt do the fight's any favour's. Though I've since found out the show was was known to be comedic too. It appears the show has had qa number of DVD releases. I don't think even the original Charlie Angels could do most of Nora's moves, without the use of a double. You can see with the style of her sweeping kick's, that she had some back ground in ballet or some form of dance?. Actress Nora Gorbe was also had a career as a pop singer too.

A few more fight scene from the series, this might not be Sammo Hung or Yuen Woo-Ping. Yet you can still see the influence of the Hong Kong movies of the time.

• Like 1

Janell Vela Smith, former taekwondo champion, 4th-dan Tukong Mulsool, instructor, stunt performer, and producer. She is the CEO of Iron Dragon Productions.

MV5BODEzOTAxMzk5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU2

MV5BNDkzMzc4NzI5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM5MV5BMjE0Mjc1MTA2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM5

• Like 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rise-southeast-asia-s-female-action-heroes-1230411   "The Rise of Southeast Asia's Female Action Heroes: 'She is Strong, She Doesn't Need Anybody' " article mentions Veronica Ngo in Furie, Vietnam's highest-ever grossing film.  Also mentioned are 212 Warrior (Indonesia), BuyBust (Philippines), Gundala (Indonesia), Chinese wuxia movies of the 1960s and 1970s, Michelle Yeoh, and Filipino director Matti, who plans "a number of other films he says will feature female protagonists".  "Embolden by the success of Furie, [Veronica] Ngo has plans for a slate of 30 features films over the next 10 years through the Studio 68 production house."  Ngo will next "be seen in the Spike Lee-Netflix actioner Da Five Bloods.

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Cheryl Wheeler Sanders - former world champion kickboxer and stunt performer turned film producer. She produced The Martial Arts Kid and will produce its sequel.

• Like 2