Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin - Korean DVD release?

INCspot

I came across a too-good-to-be-true DVD release of Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin on eBay recently that was identified as being a Korean release.  I snagged it from a different buyer who claims not to sell bootlegs (but how would one know?), and it appears to be legit.  (However, I don't see any kind of studio label on it indicating who released the DVD.)  It's all region, the language track is Chinese, with Chinese, Korean, and English subititles, and it appears to not be missing any footage.  The names are in Western order (Chan's character's name is rendered is Yin-fong Hsu, for instance), but other than that, I don't think they're dubtitles.

What exactly have I gotten my hands on here?  Did I unknowingly get a really sophisticated bootleg, or is this a legit release?  If it's legit, have they done any of Chan's other Lo Wei movies?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleo Entertainment, released October of 2010. :smile They have some other JC releases too. Not sure why they aren't releasing blu-ray, but, oh well. And, another horrible JC cover that is way off base. Damn, you would think that the Weinsteins released it or something. 

18 hours ago, reason108 said:

Not sure why they aren't releasing blu-ray

Production costs likely. And as much as we like BR`s, dvds still sell more than blue discs in general although in some genre items blues may outsell dvd.

3 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Production costs likely. And as much as we like BR`s, dvds still sell more than blue discs in general although in some genre items blues may outsell dvd.

Some Hollywood pressed dvd`s look almost as good as blu-ray but HK releases could almost never be accused of equalling that quality. :smile I never noticed the limitations of dvd until I had to replace my 720p television with a 1080p. I was really appalled at how bad those HK pressed discs looked! To add insult to injury, it sucks because most kung fu films have not be transferred properly to blu-ray. Fortune Star is just now starting to have some of their select titles getting mastered in 4k. But, most are 720p (upscales) or 2k. I think that Celestial have done 2k masters for their Shaw HD titles; with maybe a few here and there being upscales. I would love a proper 4k remaster on all the old classics from the original negatives. It will probably never happen. But, those 4k masters still have to be compressed down to fit on a blu-ray. It would be awesome to see the full limits of the negatives being displayed in their full glory on a 4k or higher native machine. I`m not rich enough to own theatrical prints or to buy negatives. But, I can afford a properly mastered kung fu blu-ray. 

Archived