Blood Thirsty Samurai Flix

Guest C4

Hi there

I was wondering if you guys could reccomend some samurai films with lots of fights and gore.

Ive seen all the Lone Wolf films, and the majority of the other films ive seen (Zatoichi ,Seven Samurai etc) are brilliant films but are lacking in the gore department.

So if any1 knows of any let me know.

Thanks.:D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

LadySnowBlood #1 was really good, also The Shadow Hunters #1&2 are really good lots of Action picture Lone Wolf & Cub with 3 guys Hunting Ninja's.

Guest kungfusamurai

But to be honest, Lone Wolf & Cub is really the best of the best in terms of action and gore. Everything else is somewhat below that. For me, I found Shadow Hunters rather weak. Having gore but not so exciting action doesn't do it for me. I also thought Lady Snowblood, while having a well made story, didn't have good choreography. At least, it wasn't as fast paced as I was expecting.

I think most Japanese films with lots of gore were either the Sonny Chiba mid-70's stuff, or just that bizarre exploitation stuff the Japanese are well known for. Samurai films generally had blood, and the occasional head or limb cut off, but not in the fashion that the LW&C films offered.

KFS

Guest kungfusamurai

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that other movies are worse than LW&C. They just don't acheive the same level of gore, fight choreography and cinematography that the LW&C had. If that's the benchmark, then everything else is slightly below that. But that's if your goal is to look for films like LW&C.

For myself, I like the Zatoichi series, the Hideo Gosha films, etc... But I'm always hopeful that a long lost or forgotten Japanese samurai flick will turn up and turn out to be as gory and action packed as any LW&C flick.

KFS

Guest melchevsky

It might be worth noting that the Hanzo the Razo series (3 of em) is fairly graphic and I believe shares similar staff to LW&C. Similar feel. I only have seen one of these. In the one I saw, ninja's cruise into Hanzo's house and it is booby trapped and there is much death and carnage. I've been wanting to see the other two.

BE WARNED, Hanzo has a extreme phallace which he beats to raise "texture" welts. He uses this equipment to 'interrogare' female suspects. So there is that and I believe, there is that in all of these films.

Guest kungfusamurai

I enjoyed Hanzo The Razor, but the films are more comedic rather than serious films. Also, there aren't as many fight scenes like there are in the LW&C films. Heck, the fight scenes aren't as exciting as Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi flicks.

If you're going to buy the Hanzo films, buy them expecting comedy films with some fighting.

KFS

Guest sammofan

I find it kind of sad that the Japanese film industry never produced more films in the style of the Lone Wolf and Cub movies. Why is that? Were these not successful in Japan? No audience for gory samurai ACTION movies? Or am I wrong? Where are all the Lone Wolf and Cub clones/rip-offs?

Guest kungfusamurai

I think it was about the poor box office returns for the LW&C. Around that time, wasn't the trend more towards those Yakuza films than the classic samurai flicks? Sonny Chiba sort of rekindled the interest in chambara with his samurai films a number of years later, but by then the exploitation gore phase had passed, I guess.

KFS

Archived