Female Fight Squad (formerly Female Fight Club) - Amy Johnston, Dolph Lundgren

AlbertV

Coming from Lionsgate on August 8th, Amy Johnston stars as a female fighter who returns to the ring to help her sister after she owes a debt. She vows to take down the fighters and the maniac behind the ring. Dolph Lundgren plays Johnston's father in the film.

femalefightsquad.jpg?w=441&h=588

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

It's still 'Female Fight Club' here in the Philippines, where it's been playing on TV every week since the start of the year.:smile

14 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I'm down for this.

It looks wayyyy better than Lady Bloodfight (which I got to see last night and my review will be posted later today...Lady Bloodfight, not this).

Okay, watched this last night, and this movie gets a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. 

THE PROs:

There's a good back story with a twist at the end. I honestly didn't see that coming.

The main plot is pretty standard and serviceable. To help her sister pay off a debt, Johnston agrees to return to underground fighting by training her sister and the fighters she's assembled, each with their own beautiful personality.

There's a snarky, ego-driven villain with his own brutal henchma...I mean henchwoman.

It has Amy Johnston and Dolph Lungren in it. The more I see Johnston, the more I like her as an actress. And as this character, she's an already established fighter. Dolph gets a fight scene. One of the best in the film actually. I mean, it's nothing spectacular but very solid.

The villain, out of his league as a fighter, meets a quick succinct end. I can dig it.

THE CONs:

There are certain plot contrivances that made me smirk with confusion. Like when her ex-beau/now deputy (played by Sean Faris) sees her at the police station, calls out her name, and then takes her in a side room for a quick private convo about her whereabouts the last 5 years. But then he's a little snippy 'cause he's "moved on" and he doesn't really care to hear what she has to say. Dude, you called her down. You started that whole conversation. Don't be a "girl" about it.  

The girls of the fight squad, while each being given a certain personality dynamic, serve no purpose but that. There're some kind of nice training sequences. That's about it.

The fight squad gets 1 fight. Yep. And they suck. They are all too short. Oh, and they all lose. None of those girls gets a decent showcase. Except for Johnston's "sister", who is obviously no fighter. Terrible.

Johnston's fights: Meh. They are all short. Very short. They often seem to lack power. They are horribly edited. The choreography is quite tame. Her end fight with Clare the Bull (Michelle Jubilee Gonzalez) starts off iffy but then starts picking up in intensity and some solid choreography. Then it's over with a nifty finishing move. That's all well and good, but that fight lasted maybe 90 seconds. Tops. So once again, she is underutilized in her own movie. Honestly, the action in Lady Bloodfight were better.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Johnston needs to star in an action movie pairing with a choreographer like Tim Man. Maybe a modern Yes, Madam pairing her with Jeeja Yanin. What say you, @Mike Leeder? I wish you or someone could make that happen.

Well, I am still hoping she gets to truly show some stuff in the upcoming Accident Man and from the stills I've seen so far, I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed with that one. 

Archived