Frightened City (1961) Sean Connery & Judo?

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Sean Connery: Kyokushin karate (discipline I practised back then), black belt. Trained by Mas Oyama himself, it seems. Some aikido notions teached by Steven Seagal.

Source- https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/14244/bond-actors-and-actresses-and-their-martial-arts-background

I watched this early British gangster thriller over the weekend, starring a young Sean Connery. While James Cagney had already introduced the Western cinema goers to Judo, in some of his movie appearances, Blood On The Sun being the most well-known. I'm not sure what the earliest example of Martial Arts in a British movie is?. I know the early Bond films often featured a lot of Judo/Karate type moves. However, this film predates the first Bond movie Dr No, by at least a year.

There's a brief sequence of burglar Paddy Damion(Connery) in a Karate Gi, going through some Judo practice,in an East end gym. Later during the finale of the movie, he gets to show of a couple of Martial Arts style moves and grips. It very tame by todays standards but still an interesting scene to watch. If you are a fan of Connery or old English cinema, its certainly worth checking out. With a strong supporting cast in John Gregson, Alfred Marks and Herbert Lom among others. Can anyone clarify if he studied Judo in real life?.

51kHApeVvtL.jpg

People interested in this, might find the following article of interest too.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, DragonClaws said:

I watched this early British gangster thriller over the weekend, starring a young Sean Connery. While James Cagney had already introduced the Western cinema goers to Judo, in some of his movie appearances, Blood On The Sun being the most well-known. I'm not sure what the earliest example of Martial Arts in a British movie is?. I know the early Bond films often featured a lot of Judo/Karate type moves. However, this film predates the first Bond movie Dr No, by at least a year.

I have been meaning to respond to that post.  There are earlier examples of both Ju-jitsu and Judo than that film, but that film had more use of it (three fight scenes I remember.)  I still would not call that movie a "martial arts" movie as the plot really has to do with other issues (world domination :D).

When I was doing some research on silent films (unrelated to martial arts at the time as I was just going over silent cinema in general) I came across a couple of no-longer existing films from England, To the Victor the Spoils (1912) and Ju-Jitsu to the Rescue (1913) both starring Yukio Tani and Nobby's Ju-Jitsu Experiments (1914).  All of them dealing with Ju-jitsu as a major factor of the plots. 

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

There are earlier examples of both Ju-jitsu and Judo than that film, but that film had more use of it (three fight scenes I remember.) 

There's some movies in the article I posted that pre-date some of the Cagney films.

14 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

When I was doing some research on silent films (unrelated to martial arts at the time as I was just going over silent cinema in general) I cam across a couple of no-longer existing films from England, To the Victor the Spoils (1912) and Ju-Jitsu to the Rescue (1913) both starring Yukio Tani and Nobby's Ju-Jitsu Experiments (1914).  All of them dealing with Ju-jitsu as a major factor of the plots. 

My dad has a book on phsical fitness from the same era, and one chapter is devoted to Ju-Jitsu holds. Whats funny, is that it shows you a pictur by picture guide to the moves. While the people in the images are dressed really smartly and have handle bar mustaches. According to Wikipedia, Ju-Jitsui To The Rescue was re-titled Self-Defense by Tress Films in 1915.

Thanks for the additional information @masterofoneinchpunch.

The Fighting Style of James Bond

Source- http://theworldofjamesbond.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-fighting-style-of-james-bond.html

This Blog is dedicated to discussions surrounding the character and culture associated with James Bond. Includes discussion of 007 films, novels, product tie-ins, and the people behind the scenes from Ian Fleming to William Boyd and from Sean Connery to Daniel Craig.

Meet the 72-year-old judo expert

Source- https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle-2-15039/meet-the-72-year-old-judo-expert-1-1230752

Over six decades in the sport the president of the British Judo Association has triumphed at European level, trained some of the world's greatest judo Olympians – bad luck and injury sadly kept him out of competing in that grand arena – and mingled with some of the biggest names in entertainment from the old "Strolling Bone" himself to Sir Sean Connery and Sir Laurence Olivier.

An actor who took on Sean Connery's James Bond in a famous fight scene has died at the age of 90.

Joseph 'Tiger Joe' Robinson passed away in Brighton on July 3 after a short illness, his family announced.

The real-life judo, karate and wrestling champion fought Connery in an elevator in an iconic scene for Diamonds Are Forever.

Source- https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-tiger-robinson-dead-10778701

He said in an interview that during the filming of Never Say Never Again (1983), he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal.

Source- https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000125/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Archived