Police Story 1 & 2 4K Restoration

KenHashibe

KenHashibe

@OldPangYau already posted about this on Blu-Ray.com's forum, so I thought I'd post this here too.

Fortune Star Media posted this on their Facebook page, teasing 4k restorations of the Police Story trilogy(!):

18486152_1924228981124175_55044597168810

There isn't any release date yet, but I'm just so freaking excited that these movies are FINALLY getting restorations!

I'm just gonna restate what @OldPangYau said in his post: Kam & Ronson will probably cover the HK releases (with 7.1/5.1 remixes) while Shout Factory! covers the US releases (with original mono tracks) of the first two. I think Miramax still has the rights for Supercop however, so we'll see what happens with that. Also, no idea what version of PS2 they're gonna restore but I'm hoping we get both (I prefer the shorter theatrical version, but it'd be nice to have both).

I almost screamed when I heard this news! I've been itching for an HD release of Police Story for the longest time and I'm so happy we'll finally be getting them! Exciting news!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shout could very well release the ultimate version. They just need the mono tracks and include both the theatrical and extended versions, plus, get the Japanese print too. If they could give it the same treatment as the BL titles, then, yes, it would really be worth it for us fans. Hopefully, then, the fans would support them with sales. 

KenHashibe
13 hours ago, reason108 said:

Shout could very well release the ultimate version. They just need the mono tracks and include both the theatrical and extended versions, plus, get the Japanese print too. If they could give it the same treatment as the BL titles, then, yes, it would really be worth it for us fans. Hopefully, then, the fans would support them with sales. 

I was thinking that too. The Bruce Lee blu-ray's from Shout are basically definitive releases. Would love to see Police Story get the same treatment.

UPDATE:

Apparently, the 4k remaster of Police Story by L'Immagine Ritrovata has been completed and will have a short theatrical run at the Metrograph in New York from March 9th to March 18th. Here's a link for more info:

http://metrograph.com/film/film/495/police-story

As you can imagine, I'm extremely jealous of those of you in New York who will be able to attend. I've been tempted to fly out to New York this week with the sole purpose of seeing the remaster, but I know I'm just gonna wait for a screening of the remaster here in Los Angeles. Or a blu-ray release. Whichever comes first. And hopefully the wait won't be too long.

DragonClaws
On 10/03/2018 at 9:32 PM, KenHashibe said:

Apparently, the 4k remaster of Police Story by L'Immagine Ritrovata has been completed and will have a short theatrical run at the Metrograph in New York from March 9th to March 18th. Here's a link for more info:

Hopefully they will go on to restore more Jackie Chan titles, or just more Asian titles from the past.

Miracles would looking sweet in a nice genuine HD print, it wouldnt have to be 4K, hell it looked really good on DVD.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:53 AM, DragonClaws said:

Hopefully they will go on to restore more Jackie Chan titles, or just more Asian titles from the past.

Miracles would looking sweet in a nice genuine HD print, it wouldnt have to be 4K, hell it looked really good on DVD.

Miracles and Project A are probably the two Jackie Chan movies (besides the Police Story trilogy) that I'd love to see a 4K remaster for. They're both so full of detail. I imagine they'd look unbelievable.

Fortune Star released a video on their YouTube channel a while ago that said that Armour of God, Battle Creek Brawl, and Cannonball Run are receiving 2K remasters. I assume there will be more to come later on:

On 3/12/2018 at 7:32 PM, KenHashibe said:

Miracles and Project A are probably the two Jackie Chan movies (besides the Police Story trilogy) that I'd love to see a 4K remaster for. They're both so full of detail. I imagine they'd look unbelievable.

Fortune Star released a video on their YouTube channel a while ago that said that Armour of God, Battle Creek Brawl, and Cannonball Run are receiving 2K remasters. I assume there will be more to come later on:

Still a joke! They are years behind on honest 2k and 4k masters and even when they do, they still don't release the original mono or stereo audio tracks. And, there is the issue of color correction. But, Armour of God has already seen its 2k release in the UK on blu-ray. 

On 3/10/2018 at 4:32 PM, KenHashibe said:

UPDATE:

http://metrograph.com/film/film/495/police-story

As you can imagine, I'm extremely jealous of those of you in New York who will be able to attend. I've been tempted to fly out to New York this week with the sole purpose of seeing the remaster, but I know I'm just gonna wait for a screening of the remaster here in Los Angeles. Or a blu-ray release. Whichever comes first. And hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Looks like it is being shown two more times, March 18th and the 24th. Not sure beyond that...

On 6/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I would jump on this in a heartbeat if I had a 4k tv.

It is a 4K restoration and NOT a 4K UHD release.

In a nutshell, the movie was restored to a 4K resolution but the release is a 1080P Blu-ray thus it will play fine on your HD (non 4K) TV & Blu-ray player - you do not need a 4K TV.

Also, most 4K UHD release also come with the "regular" Blu-ray disc (they are usually a combo).

KenHashibe
17 hours ago, reason108 said:

The Once Upon a Time in China series with Jet Li has also seen a recent 4K remaster I do believe. There are a few other titles too with either new 4 or 2k masters. I would guess that if the new Iron Monkey and Police Story releases do well then we should hopefully see some of those other titles.

The Once Upon a Time in China trilogy is getting a 4k remaster while Once Upon a Time in China and America has received a 2k remaster. These films (and many others) were included in Fortune Star's most recent "4k Showreel" promo (looking forward to the Project A being released some day!):

theThirdMaster

Oh man, that YouTube video has me pumped.  I've already pre-ordered Iron Monkey and Police Story 1/2.  I want that Story of Ricky remaster, and everything else in that video.

I may end up buying every one of those in that video on blu, especially if companies like Eureka or Criterion are picking them up.

14 hours ago, theThirdMaster said:

Oh man, that YouTube video has me pumped.  I've already pre-ordered Iron Monkey and Police Story 1/2.  I want that Story of Ricky remaster, and everything else in that video.

I may end up buying every one of those in that video on blu, especially if companies like Eureka or Criterion are picking them up.

The STORY OF RICKY remaster is already out on blu-ray in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Riki-Oh-Story-Ricky-Format-Blu-ray/dp/B00T3FUJ9A

Note that it is locked to Region B, so you need a multi-region blu-ray player to watch the disc. The ARMOUR OF GOD remaster is also already out on blu-ray in the UK.

Fortune Star has just released trailers for Police Story and Police Story 2 using footage from the new 4k remasters. Unfortunately both of the original HK trailers feature footage that isn't in the film itself (particularly the PS2 trailer which is primarily made up of behind the scenes footage). Other scenes from the film are used to fill in the space. But I can't complain. The more 4k footage, the better. Enjoy:

muppetdanny
On 6/12/2018 at 4:30 AM, KenHashibe said:

Fortune Star has just released trailers for Police Story and Police Story 2 using footage from the new 4k remasters. Unfortunately both of the original HK trailers feature footage that isn't in the film itself (particularly the PS2 trailer which is primarily made up of behind the scenes footage). Other scenes from the film are used to fill in the space. But I can't complain. The more 4k footage, the better. Enjoy:

Fortune Star must have spent loads of money getting the films scanned in 4k and they couldn't spend a little more getting the deleted/behind the scenes footage from the trailers scanned too :(

On 6/12/2018 at 2:52 PM, Chrisron said:

They unfortunately cannot do the PS2 theatrical cut because they are not allowed to alter the 4k scan in any way.

What's with Fortune Star and this 2hr cut? :wondering

Archived