POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (2006-2008)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (2006-2008)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. 2006

• Fearless
    • Undisputed II: Last Man Standing
    • City of Violence
    • Dynamite Warrior
    • Robin-B-Hood
    • Battle of the Warriors
    • Legend of the Black Scorpion aka The Banquet
    • Contour
    • Dog Bite Dog
    • Dragon Tiger Gate
  2. 2. 2007

• Flash Point
    • The Rebel
    • The Warlords
    • Rush Hour 3
    • Invisible Target
    • War
    • Black Belt
    • Fighter
  3. 3. 2008

• Ip Man
    • Ong Bak 2: The Beginning
    • Chocolate
    • Never Back Down
    • An Empress and the Warriors
    • The Forbidden Kingdom
    • Kung Fu Dunk
    • Kung Fu Panda
    • Legendary Assassin
    • The Transporter 3

SmokingFistOfDoom

I tried to include every relevant movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones. Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (it's the first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

Edited by SmokingFistOfDoom
  • Like 2

KenHashibe

2006:

I went with the independent actioner Contour.

2007:

Flash Point was an easy choice. The other choices weren't that great or I hadn't seen it.

2008:

Ip Man. I hadn't seen the other films (except for Kung Fu Panda, but I feel Ip Man is better).

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

2008, there's one movie I think you should add. It's a hidden gem and I don't think anybody has seen it.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
43 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

2008, there's one movie I think you should add. It's a hidden gem and I don't think anybody has seen it.

I picked up a film over the weekend with this title. its also a foriegn movie as far as I know.

Yet to watch it, but it might be the same movie?.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I picked up a film over the weekend with this title. its also a foriegn movie as far as I know.

Yet to watch it, but it might be the same movie?.

Yeah it's a Danish film. Does it have the main lead girl on the cover? I think there's only 1 version of the movie cause it's so unknown and not that popular. I could be wrong though. It's a basic story with some classic Romeo and Juliet family vs family feud kind of thing. I like the philosophy and the choreography ain't that bad tbh.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
12 hours ago, DrNgor said:

How did DRAGON TIGER GATE get passed up for a nomination for 2006?

Good question. Did it come out in 2006 or was that a U.S wide release year?

DragonClaws
5 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Yeah it's a Danish film. Does it have the main lead girl on the cover? I think there's only 1 version of the movie cause it's so unknown and not that popular. I could be wrong though. It's a basic story with some classic Romeo and Juliet family vs family feud kind of thing. I like the philosophy and the choreography ain't that bad tbh.

It was made in 2004 and says the language is Danish and Turkish. The plot description doesnt sound like a Romeo and Juliet inspired story, but as we know sometimes DVD covers can be misleading.

It features the tagline "With breathtaking stunts from the man behind crouching tiger hidden dragon"

• Like 2

2006 - Fearless. The Directors Cut is the best way to watch this as far as I'm concerned. It's also the first martial arts movie that had stuck around in my head because I saw my dad watching it on DVD sometime when it came out but for one reason or another I couldn't watch it, but I caught a few minutes in the beginning where Jet Li fights all those Europeans. The Directors Cut moves that scene back to where it belongs chronologically and it makes more sense. The Directors Cut does unfortunately add a subplot with Michelle Yeoh that is completely useless and uninteresting, but hey, the rest of the film is improved in almost every other way.

2007 - The Warlords. I think Flash Point is technically the better martial arts film, but I hardly ever think of it as a good film itself. The Warlords on the other hand is a great drama first and foremost as well as having some great action scenes.

2008 - Chocolate, (Ip Man is a close second). Not much to say really. Both modern classics of the martial arts genre.

• Like 2

SmokingFistOfDoom

Added Dragon Tiger Gate and Fighter.  IMDb said 2007 for fighter, so I just went with it.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon

From memory, I'd probably vote for Fearless, Flash Point and Ong Bak 2, but still I think it would be unfair for me to vote as so many of this era I haven't seen and I don't even remember the 3 I mentioned vividly.

• Like 2

Lets see:

1. (2006) "Fearless": Its been a long time since I watched it, but I remember it being pretty good. 
  2. (2007) "Rush Hour 3": Far better than I remember it being. There are probably better films on the 2007 list(Been meaning to watch both "War" and "Flash Point"), but this is actually the only one listed that I've seen. lol
  3. (2008) "Ip Man": This was an easy choice. While the other films in the series had varying degrees of quality, the first movie is a masterpiece. 
  • Like 2