POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. 1991

• Once Upon a Time In China
    • Armour of God II: Operation Condor
    • Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
    • Out For Justice
    • Double Impact
    • Fist of Fury 1991
    • Lionheart
    • Showdown in Little Tokyo
    • Tiger Cage III
  2. 2. 1992

• Supercop
    • Rapid Fire
    • Under Siege
    • Swordsman II
    • Twin Dragons
    • New Dragon Gate Inn
    • Once Upon a Time in China II
    • Once Upon a Time in China III
  3. 3. 1993

• Iron Monkey
    • Tai Chi Master
    • Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    • Hard Target
    • Fong Sai Yuk
    • Fong Sai Yuk II
    • The Bride With White Hair
    • Kung Fu Cult Master
    • City Hunter
    • Last Hero in China
    • Legend of the Liquid Sword
    • The Heroic Trio
    • Once Upon a Time in China IV

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I live in the U.K and own the to disc SE of Iron Monkey from Hong Kong Legends. For years I was very snobby towards wire-heavy Asian movies, as a young BL, Van Damme, Chuck Norris fan etc. However, after enjoying Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, drawn it to due to the huge success at the time, so see what the fuss was about. It didnt convert me into a full blown Wu-Xia fanatic, but gave me an appreciation for that genre, and made me want to watch more films from the genre. Avoided Duel To The Death for years, due to the wire-centric clips in The Best Of MA documentary. Boy, what a narrow minded mistake that was, really loved the film when I eventually took the plunge and watched it.

Duel to the death and fist of legend r probably the only ones with quite a bit of wirefu that I believe  are descent. As they also have a bit of  grounded martials in both of them. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I just want to edit my original snarky response and, instead, treat you guys to some "Iron Monkey" gifs...

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

On 5/19/2018 at 9:41 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I just want to edit my original snarky response and, instead, treat you guys to some "Iron Monkey" gifs...

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

Am disappointed, u r not showing  flying bits  .See was correct ,  Far too sped up  .  Thank u at last 4 proving my point with clips. U even  said action was abit silly urself & I agree. I will stick with   best of best 2 for a  more realistic style  and more skilled fighters.If u want, put  some clips from  Philip rhee (6th degree black belt) or Simon Rhee( 7th degree black belt) in best of best 1&2 and compare. 

9 hours ago, robbie said:

Ur the moderator and this site predominately seems to be a refugee camp for wirefu and Shaw brothers fans

Well, it finally makes sense now. It's all clear: Robbie isn't living on the same planet as the rest of us.

Now folks, that is to say, @ShaOW!linDude, @One Armed Boxer, @ShawAngela, @Drunken Monk, @DragonClaws, @Silver and Gold Dragon, let us leave this wanker to his own bizarro-world of delusions while we continue to celebrate martial arts films of all eras and styles as we have been doing for years now.

Goddamn dude its petty as hell to fight over these movies man. Just vote and be on your way

Omni Dragon
10 hours ago, robbie said:

Poor taste in films mate .Ur the moderator and this site predominately seems to be a refugee camp for wirefu and Shaw brothers fans . Have u  shown it to ur friends. The truth is most will says it's shit & turn it off after 5 minutes .Only peoplein my country who like it  usually  are critics and snobs .

How many people frequent this site?. Not many .Shows how popular wirefu  & Shaw brothers are .  Only 15 votes for iron monkey and barely anyone other than same 10 people make any comments. . It's a niche film mate . On here I am in minority, outside here in the real world  I'm in the majority. In u.k they much prefer  grounded style. Be honest.

OK, so maybe relatively few people frequent this site, and maybe IRON MONKEY is a relatively "niche film" but generally martial arts movies as a whole are considered  niche, that's why I feel like I need these forums. To discuss the genre in depth, as most people I personally encounter (outside the forums) generally have a relatively vague experience/understanding or appreciation of the genre, and I don't think they have many thoughts about style.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Why are y'all wasting your energy on this loser? He's a lost cause, clearly has issues and is by this point, I'm sure, just trolling or arguing for the sake of arguing. Also, trying to decipher his incomprehensible, grammatically challenged word salad is straight up headache inducing. Life's too short.

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Also, trying to decipher his incomprehensible, grammatically challenged word salad is straight up headache inducing.

Best sentence in the whole thread. This owned me. And I'm taking "word salad" as a band name.:tongueout

5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Well, it finally makes sense now. It's all clear: Robbie isn't living on the same planet as the rest of us.

Now folks, that is to say, @ShaOW!linDude, @One Armed Boxer, @ShawAngela, @Drunken Monk, @DragonClaws, @Silver and Gold Dragon, let us leave this wanker to his own bizarro-world of delusions while we continue to celebrate martial arts films of all eras and styles as we have been doing for years now.

giphy.gif

btw DrNgor I really appreciated your 'Girls with Guns' reviews, just wanted to say that :P I really enjoy that genre (kinda a new discovery for me)

4 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

OK, so maybe relatively few people frequent this site, and maybe IRON MONKEY is a relatively "niche film" but generally martial arts movies as a whole are considered  niche, that's why I feel like I need these forums. To discuss the genre in depth, as most people I personally encounter (outside the forums) generally have a relatively vague experience/understanding or appreciation of the genre, and I don't think they have many thoughts about style.

English &  people in west definately seem to have a preference to a more realistic or grounded style of combat in action films. Alot of my friends do .When I speak to action fans in general   in U.K  they definately  like Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, van damme etc  . They all seemed to dislike wirefu. I seriously doubt any knowledge of it would help.There is no real depth to using wirefu in films in my opinion.  It's mainly to make characters be a superhero or look  like one  or show impossible moves . (I do not mind them using it for dangerous stunts though)

At least u gave  honest  answer. When clips  are  shown to back me up they just resort to name calling and question my writing style. 

Over the years my thoughts on wire fu changed also. I used to despise if it until I checked out the whole OUATIC series. It really made those movies magical

Archived