POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. 1991

• Once Upon a Time In China
    • Armour of God II: Operation Condor
    • Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
    • Out For Justice
    • Double Impact
    • Fist of Fury 1991
    • Lionheart
    • Showdown in Little Tokyo
    • Tiger Cage III
  2. 2. 1992

• Supercop
    • Rapid Fire
    • Under Siege
    • Swordsman II
    • Twin Dragons
    • New Dragon Gate Inn
    • Once Upon a Time in China II
    • Once Upon a Time in China III
  3. 3. 1993

• Iron Monkey
    • Tai Chi Master
    • Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    • Hard Target
    • Fong Sai Yuk
    • Fong Sai Yuk II
    • The Bride With White Hair
    • Kung Fu Cult Master
    • City Hunter
    • Last Hero in China
    • Legend of the Liquid Sword
    • The Heroic Trio
    • Once Upon a Time in China IV

Drunken Monk

God forbid we try to actually incorporate all walks of life into a film. Most people tend to think representation is a good thing and not political correctness. Me? I want to see gay people and black people and disabled people in films because I know gay people, black people and disabled people. It represents my own reality. Why shouldn't disabled people have their own action stars? Why should they be marginalized just because they're "different?"
"Black Panther" is one of the most important films of recent times.. And that's whether you like it or not. It's massively important because black people (as well as all other races) deserve heroes.

As for people from the UK liking "Iron Monkey," you've met one now...me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, robbie said:

Pro chinese etc is political correctness. Have digs at other nations or people etc is being politically incorrect

The Japanese in Ip Man are irredeemably evil. That's not politically correct.

The Russians in True Legend are brute savages. That's not politically correct.

The English in Ip Man 2 are greedy cheats and savages. That's not politically correct.

Pro-Chinese nationalism is not by definition politically correct.

Drunken Monk

Oh and if I misread your "normal" comment, I apologize. Genuinely. If you weren't being prejudiced then fine. i mean, don't get me wrong, you've said some seriously questionable things since that post but if I misread that particular comment then I'm sorry.

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

God forbid we try to actually incorporate all walks of life into a film. Most people tend to think representation is a good thing and not political correctness. Me? I want to see gay people and black people and disabled people in films because I know gay people, black people and disabled people. It represents my own reality. Why shouldn't disabled people have their own action stars? Why should they be marginalized just because they're "different?"
"Black Panther" is one of the most important films of recent times.. And that's whether you like it or not. It's massively important because black people (as well as all other races) deserve heroes.

As for people from the UK liking "Iron Monkey," you've met one now...me.

I am guessing u were born in Asia or from  Asian descent   . If I  say any normal person would prefer  this,  they would understand it as being ur everyday person.

Black panther is not important . Prince was there way before  with  box office success in movie Purple rain . He  is  more talented than  anyone in black Panther by a country mile. 

Trying to shoehorn every race and gender annoys me . In best of best 2 u had people of different origin but the difference is it did not feel forced or  like a moral lecture. U also had a bit of disability as Eric Roberts damaged is shoulder in part 1 . So there u go a good film with ur moral values appeased

14 hours ago, DrNgor said:

The Japanese in Ip Man are irredeemably evil. That's not politically correct.

The Russians in True Legend are brute savages. That's not politically correct.

The English in Ip Man 2 are greedy cheats and savages. That's not politically correct.

Pro-Chinese nationalism is not by definition politically correct.

I liked ip man and ip man 2. So I enjoyed  the political incorrectness of them. You always need baddies.  So in that sense u r correct. I am probably speaking from an English,/ western  perspective. Say in an English/U.S film  if the Chinese were portrayed as good guys all the time like Disney star wars that would be political correctness..

Drunken Monk
Just now, robbie said:

I am guessing u were born in Asia or from an Asian family   . If I  say any normal person would prefer  this,  they would normally understand it as being ur everyday person. Black panther is not important . Prince was there way before  with  box office success in movie Purple rain . He  is  more talented than  anyone in black Panther by a country mile. 

Trying to shoehorn every race and gender annoys me . In best of best 2 u had people of different origin the difference is it did not feel forced  like a moral lecture. U also had a bit of disability as Eric Roberts damaged is shoulder in part 1 . 

I'm white, mate. I couldn't be any whiter.

Racial tensions are particularly high these days. The black kids who walk the street scared of getting shot by a cop for no reasons (in the US) weren't around when "Purple Rain" was big. They needed "Black Panther." They needed to see themselves in a glowing night. To see that their skin colour can represent heroics and not just crime or "ghetto-ness." Say what you will. It doesn't make "Black Panther" any less important.

I can't comment on "Best of the Best 2" and, granted, I've gotten a little off topic but I think you're wrong with a lot of your generalizations. A lot of wire-fu films were much-loved when I was a teenage collector.
Jet Li himself was invited to the UK in the 90's off the back of some of his "hits." Most of which used wire-work. There must have been a demand.

ShawAngela
3 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

😊 That's such a good comment !!

And please, Robbie, can you speak a correct English without any abbreviation or sms language in order that people like me for whom English isn't their first language can fully understand what you mean ?

14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Racial tensions are particularly high these days. The black kids who walk the street scared of getting shot by a cop for no reasons (in the US) weren't around when "Purple Rain" was big. They needed "Black Panther." They needed to see themselves in a glowing night. To see that their skin colour can represent heroics and not just crime or "ghetto-ness." Say what you will. It doesn't make "Black Panther" any less important.

I can't comment on "Best of the Best 2" and, granted, I've gotten a little off topic but I think you're wrong with a lot of your generalizations. A lot of wire-fu films were much-loved when I was a teenage collector.
Jet Li himself was invited to the UK in the 90's off the back of some of his "hits." Most of which used wire-work. There must have been a demand.

No one i know ever said they loved wirefu .  How many white people have u spoke to on street and said they love iron monkey . They all liked Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee because they relate to the grounded style.That is reality in England.

I do not know about U.S, but In England Black people do not need a film to get equality .I have never seen them  pandered to or had better equality ever.If they get the tinniest insult the other person is sacked on t.v  .

I still do not believe u were  born in England or of English descent. Everyone on my street is Romanian sadly . Lost our identity .Still looking forward to Brexit and getting a little bit of our  identity back. 

14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

😊 That's such a good comment !!

And please, Robbie, can you speak a correct English without any abbreviation or sms language in order that people like me for whom English isn't their first language can fully understand what you mean ?

Sorry about that using my phone also and it insists on changing words. His comments are minority views,  while mine are reality.  Wirefu niche  , Jet Li  is more popular due to his attempts in.U.S films. Not many crazy about  his wire fu  moves though . Most of his films would have been more successful if he'd have kept is moves grounded.

Drunken Monk
8 minutes ago, robbie said:

I still do not believe u were  born in England or of English descent. Everyone on my street is Romanian sadly . Lost our identity .Still looking forward to Brexit and getting a little bit of our  identity back. 

I wasn't born in England. Nor am I English. I was born in Wales.

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, robbie said:

Alot of my points are being misinterpreted. I can tell that for alot English is not there first language.

And yet another backhanded salvo.

3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Are you referring to other commenters, or yourself? The grammar error above, not to mention your frequent spacing and punctuation mistakes suggest that you are not a native English speaker, or are just a lazy writer.

Have to say I agree with @DrNgor on this.

1 hour ago, robbie said:

His comments are minority views,  while mine are reality.

Even if his views represent those of a small niche, what does it matter? Do mainstream opinions on martial arts action direction dictate what is or isn't garbage?

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

And yet another backhanded salvo.

Have to say I agree with @DrNgor on this.

WOW .I missed a comma this proves i'm not english. You lot r being  idiotic & silly . What does it matter if my  writing style is not always perfectly correct .This is not an exam.  I have  GCSEs in both English language &  literature if that helps  . My writing style is not always  grammatically correct due to me    using mobile phone to write, and it keeps changing words for some reason or I press wrong letter . I don't bother with punctuation marks all the time . 

If your both so  confident I am not English lets  bet on it. Put down  £100 each  minimum (or as much as u like) with moderator  of this site and will show him passport & birth certificate mate . Then he can pass money on to me . Or are you lot all talk and no balls.

Why would I lie about nationality. It make very little sense to me buddy. Virtually no one writes messages like  Welsh boyo. He writes like it's an essay / exam. What eye have written is easy  2  understand .If u have trouble tiz  because u r  not an English native as u put it.

The Welsh guy made assumptions about me  that were absolute bull . While i was correct about him not being English. Welsh is his 1st language. At least he's not part of the Romanian invasion . Overcrowding my  town, just chasing  £s.

Regarding Drngors point

Mainstream success  does not dictate weather  you think something is garbage or not. It  comes down to personal taste & enjoyment.For  me anyway it does   .Simple as that. I hated iron monkey. Action in it sucks.

ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, robbie said:

Alot of my points are being misinterpreted. I can tell that for alot English is not there first language.

4 hours ago, robbie said:

It's lazy writing. Punctuations,  I can not be bothered with.

Hmm. Wonder why your points are being misinterpreted? Oh, it's because you write in fragment, run-on, and incomplete sentences due to the lack of punctuation that you really should be "bothered" with. Your claim that you are as witty and intelligent as other forum members does not come across that way because, honestly, your comments read as though written by a juvenile. Actually the only thing you do seem to write with any clarity are your insults. Case in point: @Drunken Monk.

You claimed not to know anyone in or from England who likes the movie Iron Monkey. He informed you that he did and so now you do. You then said...

I am guessing u were born in Asia or from  Asian descent

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I still do not believe u were  born in England or of English descent.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I wasn't born in England. Nor am I English. I was born in Wales.

As you are from England (and I'm not questioning your nationality), I'm sure you're aware that Wales is a part of the United Kingdom. Therefore, that essentially makes him your countryman. Do you acknowledge that? No. Regarding him, you then respond to @ShawAngela's comment with...

His comments are minority views,  while mine are reality.

I hate to inform you...no, wait...I'm happy to inform you that the reality is your view is in fact the minority.

You were positively insulting to Drunken Monk. Though he certainly doesn't need me to stick up for him, and while he won't do it because he has entirely too much class, you absolutely owe him an apology.

But you won't ever do that because you are stubbornly dense and obscenely obstinate regarding your own belief that yours is the only opinion that matters. Nor will you ever concede the fact that maybe you need to open yourself to a wider viewing experience as to what the genre holds. Instead, you will only become more defensive, refusing to admit the possibility that you could be wrong with any sense of humility. And you will continue to make further rambling remarks of your biased opinions and unsupported claims, while insulting anyone who doesn't share your perspective, all while determined to have the last word.

18 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Hmm. Wonder why your points are being misinterpreted? Oh, it's because you write in fragment, run-on, and incomplete sentences due to the lack of punctuation that you really should be "bothered" with. Your claim that you are as witty and intelligent as other forum members does not come across that way because, honestly, your comments read as though written by a juvenile. Actually the only thing you do seem to write with any clarity are your insults. Case in point: @Drunken Monk.

You claimed not to know anyone in or from England who likes the movie Iron Monkey. He informed you that he did and so now you do. You then said...

As you are from England (and I'm not questioning your nationality), I'm sure you're aware that Wales is a part of the United Kingdom. Therefore, that essentially makes him your countryman. Do you acknowledge that? No. Regarding him, you then respond to @ShawAngela's comment with...

I hate to inform you...no, wait...I'm happy to inform you that the reality is your view is in fact the minority.

You were positively insulting to Drunken Monk. Though he certainly doesn't need me to stick up for him, and while he won't do it because he has entirely too much class, you absolutely owe him an apology.

But you won't ever do that because you are stubbornly dense and obscenely obstinate regarding your own belief that yours is the only opinion that matters. Nor will you ever concede the fact that maybe you need to open yourself to a wider viewing experience as to what the genre holds. Instead, you will only become more defensive, refusing to admit the possibility that you could be wrong with any sense of humility. And you will continue to make further rambling remarks of your biased opinions and unsupported claims, while insulting anyone who doesn't share your perspective, all while determined to have the last word.

Wales is part of u.k, but it is not England.He is not my countryman and if they were good at sport we would be bitter rivals.England is a different country. So I still don't know anyone from England who likes iron monkey. In Wales they like sheep , rugby and possibly wirefu. We like football. No one as been insulted so chill out.Still waiting 4 ur decision on that bet Mr know it all.

I do not  owe Drunkenmonk an apology my comments are inoffensive .  Yuen woo ping owes me an apology for all that wirefu. 

I think you're being a troll robbie, please tell me you are, it's quite funny if so that you know how to push people's buttons the way you do. I don't believe your grammar is really as bad as it is when you post here, and I don't believe you're upset that all your neighbours are Romanians, and I don't believe you'd have watched the kung fu movies you have done if you're that culturally insensitive.

And just in case you aren't trolling, I'm white and was born and raised in England, and love Iron Monkey.

Drunken Monk

Welsh, my first language? I don’t speak a lick of it, mate. I was born and raised in North Wales, the side closer to Chester, Liverpool etc. We don’t speak Welsh where I’m from. In fact, we often get labeled English because we allegedly sound like Mancs.

just wanted to clear that up because, once again, your assumptions are wrong.

Oh and as for not being offensive? You blatantly tried to take a snide dog at me with the sheep comment. Thankfully, being Welsh, I’ve heard “sheep shagger” all my life. But while it wasn’t offensive, you still tried.

But “discussing” things with you is discussing with a brick wall. You could just say you dislike wire-fu and call it a day. But you leap to assumptions, write horribly formed “facts” and put forth no logical argument whatsoever. So it’s probably best we put this to bed. You think “Iron Monkey” is shit, I tried to watch “Best of the Best 2” today and thought it was shit. We’re not going to get anywhere.

So yeah, this poll didn’t cater to your tastes. You’re right there. And while that’s the only thing you have been right about this whole time, I think I’ll be the better man here and wash my hands of it all. Unless you want to continue to bicker like babies.

Oh and @ShaOW!linDude you’re absolutely right about Wales and England being in the same country. They are: the United Kingdom. You just get some nationalistic folks who prefer to see the smaller countries within the UK as their “primary” country, if you will. A lot of English people are very England-centric. Just as some Welsh people stay true to Wales. Me? I’m a Brit. A Welsh Brit but a Brit.

ShawAngela

Telling that you don't like a movie is a thing and it's your right, but despising the director's or actors' work and people who like this movie  and insisting again and agaiin with the same comments is another thing.

I often said that I disliked The boxer's omen and some people here told me that they loved this movie : well, it's a fact and a matter of taste for each of us and I never tired to make this people share my opinions on this movie nor despised them because they loved it...

You say that your posts are misinterpreted... Sorry, but when I read some of them, it appears to me that you seem to be not only a little bit stubborn regarding your views on movies, but also a little bit racist regarding Romanian who " invade " your country, or Welsh people not being English...

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, robbie said:

If your both so  confident I am not English lets  bet on it. Put down  £100 each  minimum (or as much as u like) with moderator  of this site and will show him passport & birth certificate mate .

I'm afraid you're shit out of luck mate. I tick all the following boxes:

- A forum moderator

- From Liverpool in the UK (as are my parents, grandparents, etc. - let me know if you need a copy of my family tree)

- Big fan of 'Iron Monkey' & wuxia

- Have written this post on my phone, & proven it's possible to do so cohesively.

DragonClaws

I live in the U.K and own the to disc SE of Iron Monkey from Hong Kong Legends. For years I was very snobby towards wire-heavy Asian movies, as a young BL, Van Damme, Chuck Norris fan etc. However, after enjoying Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, drawn it to due to the huge success at the time, so see what the fuss was about. It didnt convert me into a full blown Wu-Xia fanatic, but gave me an appreciation for that genre, and made me want to watch more films from the genre. Avoided Duel To The Death for years, due to the wire-centric clips in The Best Of MA documentary. Boy, what a narrow minded mistake that was, really loved the film when I eventually took the plunge and watched it.

Omni Dragon

I am white, I was born, raised and still live in Leicestershire, England. These facts have played an influence on my life experience and my world view, however this has not stopped me from enjoying IRON MONKEY. Perhaps (as a human being) I can take a more cosmopolitan view of cinema.

While for the most part I personally prefer the more grounded style, that itself is still staged and often stylised. If it can be considered 'reality'? It's a "staged-reality".

Considering robbie's extreme nationalist ideas, I find it a bit strange that he even watches Asian movies.

ShawAngela
51 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Considering robbie's extreme nationalist ideas, I find it a bit strange that he even watches Asian movies

:clappinghands

13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm afraid you're shit out of luck mate. I tick all the following boxes:

- A forum moderator

- From Liverpool in the UK (as are my parents, grandparents, etc. - let me know if you need a copy of my family tree)

- Big fan of 'Iron Monkey' & wuxia

- Have written this post on my phone, & proven it's possible to do so cohesively.

Poor taste in films mate .Ur the moderator and this site predominately seems to be a refugee camp for wirefu and Shaw brothers fans . Have u  shown it to ur friends. The truth is most will says it's shit & turn it off after 5 minutes .Only peoplein my country who like it  usually  are critics and snobs .

How many people frequent this site?. Not many .Shows how popular wirefu  & Shaw brothers are .  Only 15 votes for iron monkey and barely anyone other than same 10 people make any comments. . It's a niche film mate . On here I am in minority, outside here in the real world  I'm in the majority. In u.k they much prefer  grounded style. Be honest.

22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Welsh, my first language? I don’t speak a lick of it, mate. I was born and raised in North Wales, the side closer to Chester, Liverpool etc. We don’t speak Welsh where I’m from. In fact, we often get labeled English because we allegedly sound like Mancs.

just wanted to clear that up because, once again, your assumptions are wrong.

Oh and as for not being offensive? You blatantly tried to take a snide dog at me with the sheep comment. Thankfully, being Welsh, I’ve heard “sheep shagger” all my life. But while it wasn’t offensive, you still tried.

But “discussing” things with you is discussing with a brick wall. You could just say you dislike wire-fu and call it a day. But you leap to assumptions, write horribly formed “facts” and put forth no logical argument whatsoever. So it’s probably best we put this to bed. You think “Iron Monkey” is shit, I tried to watch “Best of the Best 2” today and thought it was shit. We’re not going to get anywhere.

So yeah, this poll didn’t cater to your tastes. You’re right there. And while that’s the only thing you have been right about this whole time, I think I’ll be the better man here and wash my hands of it all. Unless you want to continue to bicker like babies.

Oh and @ShaOW!linDude you’re absolutely right about Wales and England being in the same country. They are: the United Kingdom. You just get some nationalistic folks who prefer to see the smaller countries within the UK as their “primary” country, if you will. A lot of English people are very England-centric. Just as some Welsh people stay true to Wales. Me? I’m a Brit. A Welsh Brit but a Brit.

Wales and England are not considered the  same country at all by anyone in them.  ..Please stop trying to pass  yourself off as English.U ain't, and U ain't from Manchester either because u have a manc  ascent. Why u would wanna try & pass yourself off as English  I don't  know. Does it make u feel more intelligent.? 

As I said early u have poor taste in films  .  Best of the best 2  is a classic in U.K  . Most of  people on here like it  & disagree with u.  Both Philip Rhee & Simon Rhee are 100x greater  technical ability than  that  dude out of Brink u harp on about  . Philip Rhee is 6th degree taekwondo& 3rd degree hapkido),Simon Rhee is 7th degree black belt taekwondo and 4th degree black belt hapkido, but bet u do not care about real skill mate.U embarass yourself with ur knowledge. I back mine up. If it was an Hong Kong film u would  have loved it  as ur very   biased to their films for some reason. . A wirefu superhero film would be a wet dream  to u and a nightmare 2 me. On this site  u act superior but talk absolute bull 

People on this site seem to have an allegiance to wirefu .I'd say 70℅ in U. K hate it. The reason not many bad reviews is once they have seen one wirefu film they usually don't watch another. Fact.

And I'm sorry that ur always being  called   sheep shagger. 

ShawAngela
11 minutes ago, robbie said:

As I said early u have poor taste in films , Total opposite to me

Let's all prey to our new God !!

A little bit of humour won't harm anyone I think...

ShaOW!linDude
10 minutes ago, robbie said:

People on this site seem to have an allegiance to wirefu

I don't have an allegiance to wire fu. I do take a stand against overly-opinionated, abrasive, bigoted egomaniacs who drawn illogical conclusions and cast aspersions on anyone who doesn't agree with them.

ShawAngela
2 minutes ago, robbie said:

My taste in films is exceptionally good

As we say in my country, " Flowers aren't pricey " or " are you at ease in your shoes ? " which means that you praise yourself like Narcisse...

I won't post anymore in this topic...

Archived