POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1991-1993)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. 1991

• Once Upon a Time In China
    • Armour of God II: Operation Condor
    • Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
    • Out For Justice
    • Double Impact
    • Fist of Fury 1991
    • Lionheart
    • Showdown in Little Tokyo
    • Tiger Cage III
  2. 2. 1992

• Supercop
    • Rapid Fire
    • Under Siege
    • Swordsman II
    • Twin Dragons
    • New Dragon Gate Inn
    • Once Upon a Time in China II
    • Once Upon a Time in China III
  3. 3. 1993

• Iron Monkey
    • Tai Chi Master
    • Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    • Hard Target
    • Fong Sai Yuk
    • Fong Sai Yuk II
    • The Bride With White Hair
    • Kung Fu Cult Master
    • City Hunter
    • Last Hero in China
    • Legend of the Liquid Sword
    • The Heroic Trio
    • Once Upon a Time in China IV

SmokingFistOfDoom

I tried to include every relevant movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones. Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (it's the first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1991: Once Upon A Time In China

1992: New Dragon Gate Inn

1993: Another year with great choices but have to go with one of my all time favorite movie: The Bride with White Hair

KenHashibe

1991:

Once Upon a Time in China. Easy.

1992:

Police Story 3: Supercop. Another easy choice.

1993:

Iron Monkey is one of my all time favorite movies. I had to choose this.

OpiumKungFuCracker

You really can't go wrong with any of these films. These were the years where it was hard for me to obtain or seek out martial arts movies because I was still a kid. The nearest video store is blinkbuster video and their martial arts selection is garbage. Ya'll had any blinkbuster videos where they had a large selection of martial arts movies? I bet they didn't back in them days. Prove me wrong!

Omni Dragon

I voted for STORY OF RICKY, POLICE STORY III - SUPER COP and IRON MONKEY.

1993 was an easy choice as IRON MONKEY is my favourite wire fu.

1992 was also an easy choice.

1991 this pick was a lot more difficult it was between ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA and STORY OF RICKY. On a technical filmmaking level OUATIC is superior but RICKY is crazy, gory, fun, if you don't take it too seriously. In the end I went for RICKY as OUATIC already has an overwhelming majority but I'm still not too sure which I prefer. It would have been even more difficult for me, had THE GAMBLING GHOST (1991) been listed as a voting option as well.

iron monkey , once upon a time in china 1 & 2 all r absolute garbbage . U must all be from china/ hong kong as in  west most people think  wirefu films were death of kung fu movie. . voting them top is an insult .As i said earlier wont be getting my film recommendtions from anyone on here as too many displays of poor taste.  Gonna go watch a proper action film now like death wish iii to wipe away bad taste .  . 

lionheart,  twin  dragons, supercop  and hard target probably  best . most of films are terrible  though so do not get many of these if new to kung fu films or will put you off for life. 

ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, robbie said:

U must all be from china/ hong kong as in  west most people think  wirefu films were death of kung fu movie. . voting them top is an insult .

This is a derogatory statement and you should apologize because you don't know that for a fact.

Instead you made a generalized and uninformed statement about the opinion of some forum members and Chinese people that is insulting to them because you blatantly assume someone has to be Chinese to enjoy a wuxia film. And believe it or not, there may be some Chinese who actually don't like wuxia films, just like there are some Americans who don't like Westerns. (It's crazy, I know.) Look, we all get that you don't like these kinds of movies because that discussion has been done in another thread. But this thread is specifically an opinion poll. If you don't like someone's choices, just let it go. Sure, feel free to voice your opinion, too, even your dislikes. But whenever you just start bashing certain films or other members' opinions of them, you're being disrespectful, discourteous, and rude. You're coming across like a jerk and a troll.

I'm not a fan of wuxia films either, and my friendly advice to you would be to just avoid any wuxia thread you see so you won't feel incited to openly bash a genre that some people on here do enjoy, and go find a movie thread that you are genuinely interested in and can contribute to. Or go to the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and vent to your heart's desire.

ShawAngela

That's so strange that this forum member only knows to criticize movies or people who like the movies he criticizes and is being rude towards members here instead on contributing on what he likes, just  as you say, @ShaOW!linDude...Each of his posts I read was only critics and not contributions, too bad...

By the way, I voted for Once uopn in China I and II, and it was difficult for me to choose between Iron Monkey and Tai Chi Master, because I enjoyed both of them a lot.

By the way, I voted for Once uopn in China I and II, and it was difficult for me to choose between Iron Monkey and Tai Chi Master, because I enjoyed both of them a lot.

Omni Dragon
32 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

it was difficult for me to choose between Iron Monkey and Tai Chi Master, because I enjoyed both of them a lot.

Which 1 did you vote for in the end?

TibetanWhiteCrane
10 hours ago, robbie said:

iron monkey , once upon a time in china 1 & 2 all r absolute garbbage . U must all be from china/ hong kong as in  west most people think  wirefu films were death of kung fu movie. . voting them top is an insult .As i said earlier wont be getting my film recommendtions from anyone on here as too many displays of poor taste.  Gonna go watch a proper action film now like death wish iii to wipe away bad taste .  . 

lionheart,  twin  dragons, supercop  and hard target probably  best . most of films are terrible  though so do not get many of these if new to kung fu films or will put you off for life. 

Your schtick is getting reeeeal old and tired, dude.

19 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

You're coming across like a jerk and a troll.

Yeah! That's my job!

Jimmy and Le Wuxia
Jimmy and Le Wuxia
Jimmy and Le Wuxia

I thought I voted in this one already? But thanks for reminding me to.

This was really hard to do. I was thinking OUATIC, Double Impact, Out For Justice, or Showdown in Little Tokyo. I absolutely love OUATIC, but two Van Dammes were there, with Steven Seagal beating down Richie, and then Brandon Lee and Dolph Lundgren won with them taking on the Yakuza.

I also voted for OUATIC II and Tai Chi Master.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:53 AM, robbie said:

I'm always trying to rationalize with you but it never seems to work. You could totally bash a movie without trying to go in on people. Users here do it all the time. I do it too (check out my angry post to Karate Wars). I'm a man of unpopular opinions but there's not need to attack other people about it. Once in a blue moon is alright if you're really having a bad day, but not everyday. You shouldn't have to go in at all unless something is going on personally.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:34 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

This is a derogatory statement and you should apologize because you don't know that for a fact.

Instead you made a generalized and uninformed statement about the opinion of some forum members and Chinese people that is insulting to them because you blatantly assume someone has to be Chinese to enjoy a wuxia film. And believe it or not, there may be some Chinese who actually don't like wuxia films, just like there are some Americans who don't like Westerns. (It's crazy, I know.) Look, we all get that you don't like these kinds of movies because that discussion has been done in another thread. But this thread is specifically an opinion poll. If you don't like someone's choices, just let it go. Sure, feel free to voice your opinion, too, even your dislikes. But whenever you just start bashing certain films or other members' opinions of them, you're being disrespectful, discourteous, and rude. You're coming across like a jerk and a troll.

I'm not a fan of wuxia films either, and my friendly advice to you would be to just avoid any wuxia thread you see so you won't feel incited to openly bash a genre that some people on here do enjoy, and go find a movie thread that you are genuinely interested in and can contribute to. Or go to the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and vent to your heart's desire.

Giving an honest opinon  He as not stuck them in wuxia thread. He as listed them  and the majority  have choose tham as  the best films of year. .. Remember my mate going on about how good once upon a time in china  , iron monkey  until he saw  how pants  they were. Some young kid might waste is pocket money on them and be traumatized. 

where's  best of the best 2?.  . . Most on here must be chinese is a fair statement. Yet to find anyone who enjoys it in my country .If it was a good idea the west would have copied it more and done well at worldwide box office  .  .I watch a film for action and watching a guy being pulled and swung around by a wire looks awful    . . 

. Barring hard target his list of martial arts films for 1993 are all  bad.  How best of the best 2 is not on there beats me. the guy as bad  taste. (he also  missed  the masterpiece snake in monkeys shadow from 79 list). i do not think u should make lists and miss quality films off.  This 91-93 is 50% wirefu . where are normal films? . 

On 5/13/2018 at 6:30 AM, ShawAngela said:

That's so strange that this forum member only knows to criticize movies or people who like the movies he criticizes and is being rude towards members here instead on contributing on what he likes, just  as you say, @ShaOW!linDude...Each of his posts I read was only critics and not contributions, too bad...

i have contributed.i  have said to put best of best 2 on 93 list, snake in monkeys shadow on  79 list and giving advice on bad films to avoid.  that is a good contribution 

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, robbie said:

He as not stuck them in wuxia thread.

Because it's a poll that includes both wuxia films and standard grounded action films of popular MA films of those specific years.

1 hour ago, robbie said:

Most on here must be chinese is a fair statement.

Film wise, yes. But your previous statement reads:

On 5/12/2018 at 5:53 AM, robbie said:

U must all be from china/ hong kong as in  west most people think  wirefu films were death of kung fu movie.

You are referring to individuals/forum members. You need to check yourself because you don't speak for everybody in the west. Instead you've made a generalized blanket statement that doesn't really represent the demographic of fans of the MA genre...except in your own mind. I still feel you really should apologize for that.

1 hour ago, robbie said:

i have contributed.i  have said to put best of best 2 on 93 list, snake in monkeys shadow on  79 list and giving advice on bad films to avoid.  that is a good contribution

1 hour ago, robbie said:

Barring hard target his list of martial arts films for 1993 are all  bad.  How best of the best 2 is not on there beats me. the guy as bad  taste. (he also  missed  the masterpiece snake in monkeys shadow from 79 list). i do not think u should make lists and miss quality films off.  This 91-93 is 50% wirefu . where are normal films? . 

Then maybe you should create your own poll for us to vote/comment on.

ShaOW!linDude

Yep, I can believe it. And honestly, between the two, I like the fights in Best of the Best 2 better, but the fights in Iron Monkey are good and it is rightly regarded as a classic in the genre.

I can't vote on this, still catching up, especially those years! (mostly watching 80's flicks right now)

Also can I suggest adding Project S in 1993? I reviewed it in the review thread and if you guys haven't watched it in a while, the ending fight is pretty damn good!

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Also can I suggest adding Project S in 1993?

It's fun but, personally, I don't think it belongs in any "Best of..." lists.

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's fun but, personally, I don't think it belongs in any "Best of..." lists.

I mean, this is a poll... this is exactly what polls are used for: Not depending on the opinion of one person.

ShawAngela
On 5/12/2018 at 12:53 PM, robbie said:

U must all be from china/ hong kong as in  west most people think  wirefu films were death of kung fu movie. . voting them

On 5/12/2018 at 12:53 PM, robbie said:

top is an insult .

I'm a French woman who fell in love at 14 and still is in love with ALL kind of martial arts movies, from old Cantonese movies to Shaws, Cathays, Taiwanese movies and series  from the 40's to the 80's, and yes, I also love movies like Iron Monkey and all Jet Li's movies, even if I also think that wirefu movies are less interetsing than the old school movies...

And Wuxia movies are my favourite movies...

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, robbie said:

Most on here must be chinese is a fair statement. Yet to find anyone who enjoys it in my country .

Out of morbid curiosity, what is your country?

wire fu is a bit of an acquired taste but it can be absolutely incredible

Not always though. Direction matters :)

Archived