POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1985-1987)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1985-1987)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 1985

• Police Story
    • The Last Dragon
    • The Protector
    • Mr. Vampire
    • Yes, Madam
    • American Ninja
    • Heart of Dragon
    • Twinkle Twinkle, Lucky Stars
    • Code of Silence
    • Disciples of the 36th Chamber
    • Pray for Death
    • Gymkata
  2. 2. 1986

• Armour of God
    • Martial Arts of Shaolin
    • No Retreat, No Surrender
    • Born to Defence
    • Millionaire's Express aka Shanghai Express
    • Royal Warriors
    • The Delta Force
    • Mr. Vampire II
    • The Karate Kid part II
    • Righting Wrongs aka Above the Law (Yuen Biao)
    • Peking Opera Blues
    • Big Trouble in Little China
  3. 3. 1987

• Eastern Condors
    • Project A II
    • American Ninja II
    • Miami Connection
    • Fighting Madam

SmokingFistOfDoom

I tried to include every relevant movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones. Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (it's the first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1985: Tough one but went with Heart of Dragon

1986: Anyone of these 5 movies can be considered: Armour of God, Millionaires Express, Martial Arts of Shaolin, Writing Wrongs & Peking Opera Blues. DAMN!!! do I have to choose one....impossible. But since I have to choose you then it will be Peking Opera Blues 'cause of the great drama in it.

1987: Eastern Condors.......no contest there.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, '85 is a tough year to pick. I opted for Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.

Shouldn't "Holy Robes of the Shaolin Temple" also be included in 1985? making the choice even tougher.

massa_yoda

85 and 86 were such great years.  I went Police Story/Royal Warriors/Easter Condors.

4 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Yeah, '85 is a tough year to pick. I opted for Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.

Even though I voted for Police Story that warehouse fight in TTLS was one of the best ever so I feel you man!

ShaOW!linDude
54 minutes ago, CT KID said:

Even though I voted for Police Story that warehouse fight in TTLS was one of the best ever so I feel you man!

See, I was torn between TTLS and PS, but the warehouse fight, Sammo vs Richard Norton, and Sammo using tennis rackets against Kurata's sai swayed me.

KenHashibe

1985:

Police Story. Easy. Probably the easiest decision out of any of these polls, mainly since Police Story might be my favorite martial arts movie ever.

1986:

Righting Wrongs. I love the hell out of this movie. Super dark action movie with incredible fight scenes.

1987:

Eastern Condors. Seems like the vote is unanimous for this movie so far.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Can I choose all of them? Come on I can't just pick one, you guys are making this difficult!!!  It's not like 2015-2017 where I can't remember one shitty film from that era,hahahah!

It's so much easier to pick the best flick in the recent years, but extremely hard to pick the best movie in this particular time frame. So many great flicks... I couldn't make a choice

I went for Heart of Dragon, Righting Wrongs and Eastern Condors.

1987 was a fairly easy choice, though to be honest the 1st time I watched Eastern Condors I didn't like the mix of gun play and martial arts but now I think it's awesome

1986 was an easy choice as well, though there's some other good movies from 1986, Righting Wrongs really stands out to me.

1985 was super tough and I'm still not too sure which I prefer; Heart of Dragon or Police Story? In the end I went for Heart of Dragon since Police Story already has an overwhelming majority. IMO both are good in action and story but Police Story is better on the action side and Heart of Dragon on the story for me. As I said before: " I still not too sure which I prefer".

Archived