POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1982-1984)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1982-1984)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. 1982

• Shaolin Temple
    • Legendary Weapons of China
    • Five Element Ninjas
    • Human Lanterns
    • Dragon Lord
    • Miracle Fighters
    • Legend of a Fighter
    • Ninja in the Dragon's Den
    • Shaolin Prince
    • Raw Force
    • Forced Vengeance
  2. 2. 1983

• Project A
    • Winners and Sinners
    • Zu: Warriors From the Magic Mountain
    • Duel to the Death
    • Lone Wolf McQuade
    • Holy Flame of the Martial World
    • Lady Assassin
    • Fearless Hyena II
    • Revenge of the Ninja
    • Shaolin Intruders
    • Shaolin vs Lama
  3. 3. 1984

• Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
    • Wheels on Meals
    • Opium and the Kung Fu Master
    • Drunken Tai Chi
    • The Karate Kid
    • Ninja III: The Domination
    • Kids From Shaolin
    • New Tales of the Flying Fox

SmokingFistOfDoom

I tried to include every relevant movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones. Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (it's the first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
massa_yoda

Probably an oddball choice for 82, but I love love LOVE Shaolin Prince.  Almost did 5 Element Ninja...

It was The Karate Kid for sentimental reasons but for pure martial arts action nothing beats that Jackie vs Benny fight in Wheels on Meals of course!

KenHashibe

1982:

Ugh, such tough decisions: Five Element Ninjas, Dragon Lord, Miracle Fighters, Legend of a Fighter, and Ninja in the Dragon's Den. But I chose Ninja in the Dragon's Den because it's hilarious.

1983:

Project A. Easy.

1984:

I picked Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, but Wheels on Meals is also great.

1982 - For what was essentially the swan song for the kung fu movie in the Hong Kong mainstream, they really went all out. I ended up going for LEGEND OF A FIGHTER, with its superior fight choreography and compelling rapport between Huo Yuan-Jia and Yasuaki Kurata's character.

1983 - PROJECT A - I really like the variety that Tong Gaai brought to Shaolin Intruders, but Chan revolutionized the genre so much with Project A that I couldn't NOT vote for it.

1984 - EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER - Excellent film all around.

SmokingFistOfDoom
11 hours ago, LuFengLover said:

UGH! More tough choices! I will have to rewatch some of these to make choices.  Is there a deadline @SmokingFistOfDoom ?

I'm still getting familiar with this website, but I do believe the poll is open for as long as this forum is up (so hopefully forever), judging from other polls posted several years ago.  But I'll probably give an update regarding the general consensus in a few weeks or so, unless I see there are still votes rolling in.

Omni Dragon

I went for Ninja in the Dragon's Den, Project A and Wheels on Meals. I have fond memories of watching those in my early days of watching Fu movies.

The Miracle Fighters and Zu: Warriors seemed different, odd and interesting.

Zu Warriors is interesting enough that I managed to persuade my mum to watch it, and she did enjoy it.

Tex Killer

This was far easiest from classic polls. No decent rivals for 5 element and Project A. 1982 made thought a bit between kids from shaolin and new tales of FF.

82 for me was a straight fight between 'Five Element Ninja's & Legendary Weapons' in the end Pops took it for Legendary Weapons, probably because when I first saw Legendary it was the Warner Home Video release, so the quality was much better than my version of Five Element.

83 wasn't a difficult choice for me, being a fan of 'shapes' it had to be Shaolin vs Lama over Jackie's Project A!

84, again a very easy choice for me, probably put this one in my top ten, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Gordon Liu at his best & Pops again.

Legendary Weapons, Project A, and the one people seem to forget was really good, Opium and The Kung Fu Master. Ti Lung shows off some good acting chops along with some great action scenes.

Archived