POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1973-1975)

SmokingFistOfDoom

POLL: Best Martial Arts Movies by Year (1973-1975)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. 1973

• Enter the Dragon
    • Blood Brothers
    • When Taekwondo Strikes
    • A Man Called Tiger
    • The Awaken Punch
    • The Delinquent
    • The Fate of Lee Khan
    • Wang Yu, King of Boxers
  2. 2. 1974

• The Street Fighter
    • The Return of the Street Fighter
    • The Street Fighter's Last Revenge
    • Sister Street Fighter
    • Five Shaolin Masters
    • Heroes Two
    • Black Belt Jones
    • Shaolin Martial Arts
    • Call Me Dragon
    • Men From the Monastery
    • The Savage Five
    • The Shadow Boxer
  3. 3. 1975

• Champion of Death
    • The Super Inframan
    • Return of the Chinese Boxer
    • Disciples of Shaolin
    • The Man From Hong Kong
    • All Men Are Brothers
    • The Dragon Tamers
    • Marco Polo
    • The Flying Guillotine
    • The Young Dragons

SmokingFistOfDoom

I tried to include every relevant movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones. Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (it's the first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other top films:

Delinquent, The
Fate of Lee Khan, The
Wang Yu King of Boxers

Men from the Monastery
Savage Five, The
Shadow Boxer, The

Marco Polo
Flying Guillotine, The
Young Dragons, The

KenHashibe

1973:

Hate to admit it, but Enter the Dragon was the only movie I saw from the listed movies so I had to choose it. Great movie still!

1974:

The Street Fighter. Classic, classic, classic Japanese martial arts movie. Thanks for introducing it to me, @KUNG FU BOB!

1975:

I chose Super Inframan, which is surprising even to me. I haven't seen The Man From Hong Kong yet and I don't think I like Disciples of Shaolin anywhere near as much as most people. Super Inframan is just fun as hell.

1973 - Put me down for ENTER THE DRAGON, although WHEN TAE KWON DO STRIKES comes a close second.

1974 - @SmokingFistOfDoom - You're missing Bruce Liang's CALL ME DRAGON. But I went for Five Shaolin Masters, which is literally almost non-stop fighting, full of different styles, weapons (we even see a two-pronged fork in this!), and a very long, but awesome finale.

1975 - This honestly was not a very good year for martial arts movies. I went with the cult classic Infra-Man, which has some of Tong Gaai's most creative action direction.

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

1973 - Put me down for ENTER THE DRAGON, although WHEN TAE KWON DO STRIKES comes a close second.

Yeah, I was considering WTS also. The end fight in that is so good I consider it better than ETD though that one is so iconic because of the way it's filmed.

LuFengLover

1973 Blood Brothers and Enter the Dragon were the only two I saw from that year.  I preferred the Iron Triangle movie.  Most people love Bruce Lee.  I think he is great and I recognize his influence on the genre.  I love Ti Lung and David Chiang paired together.

1974 Shaolin Martial Arts is a great story starring my favorite Shaw Brothers duo, Chi Kuan Chun and Alexander Fu Sheng.  Five Shaolin Masters also has them plus my second favorite duo, Ti Lung and David Chiang.  This was a tough choice.  I chose Shaolin Martial Arts because I like the story better.

1975 Disciples of Shaolin will always be my favorite movie from this time period.  There wasn't an easier choice for me to make.  I do like All Men are Brothers but I LOVE Disciples of Shaolin for the story, characters, music and my favorite pairing of actors.

On 27/05/2017 at 9:16 PM, panku said:

Other top films:

Delinquent, The
Fate of Lee Khan, The
Wang Yu King of Boxers

Men from the Monastery
Savage Five, The
Shadow Boxer, The

Marco Polo
Flying Guillotine, The
Young Dragons, The

1974 would have been harder if Men from the Monastery and The Savage Five were included.   1975 still would have been easy even though I like Marco Polo and The Flying Guillotine.

OpiumKungFuCracker

martial arts movies back then was just unreal. Hard to choose tbh. Thank you for the references though, Gonna revisit these shortly!

1973: Enter the Dragon 

1974: A very tough choice but choose Heroes Two over 5 Shaolin Masters & The Street Fighter

1975: Disciples of Shaolin

Bruce's films shouldn't be in the poll IMO as they are looked upon as the high watermark of action in that period, they are in a kind of category of their own.

1970 - 1974 was such a Golden age for HK MA films and there are many greats including a heap of independent films too.

tumblr_nfmm876nFm1rdsiguo1_1280.jpg

4riders.jpg

luchador.jpg

NOA.jpg

2 hours ago, shukocarl said:

Bruce's films shouldn't be in the poll IMO as they are looked upon as the high watermark of action in that period, they are in a kind of category of their own.

As stated, it's your opinion but there are people who would disagree with that statement........different taste for different folks.

Being a 'shapes' fan, all these specific years were not really my cup of tea! But for '73 it could only be Enter The dragon and that's only because...it's Enter The Dragon!

'74, a much stronger year, with only 2 to choose from Shaolin Martial Arts & Five Shaolin Masters, both great films, but Five shaolin Masters edged it for me, due to Chi Kuan-Chun using the five animal shaolin fist against Fung Hak-On's Preying Mantis....Classic 'shapes'.

'75 I'm actually struggling to choose one on the list! Marco Polo I really enjoyed, watched it again a couple of weeks ago, so it's fresh in my mind.  Disciples of Shaolin was ok, nothing special, All Men Our Brothers, action a bit slow for me, good story though! So, I've gone for The Flying Guillotine, Chen Kuan-tai & Ku Feng, no shapes in this, but I enjoyed the action and the weapon.

Bless

I think I'd go for Enter the Dragon and Five Shaolin Masters, but still I'm struggling to choose the one for 1975 at this time.

No Nick Cheung-Lik movies listed  for 1974  ☹️, unless some have been put down under a alternative title I don't recognize. 

Archived