Best martial arts movies by year

SmokingFistOfDoom

SmokingFistOfDoom

Just a heads up that I'm about to release a bunch of polls to attempt to have a general idea of what is considered to be the favorite martial arts movie for every year from 1970 up until today.  I'm only allowed 3 questions (i.e. years) per poll, so there will be several pages.  The first part (1970-1984) will be in the Classic Martial Arts Cinema forum, and the second part (1984-2016) will be in the Modern Martial Arts Cinema forum.  I tried to include every movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones.  Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Not sure if this will work well or not, but any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
DragonClaws
34 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I think this is a fantastic idea, so a big thanks for taking the time to put those polls together!  Shall be weighing in with my choices shortly!

I'll be casting my vote, as soon as my bank holiday hangover wears off.

Great idea @SmokingFistOfDoom.

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Cast your votes!

Already did. I was first up.

KenHashibe
21 hours ago, SmokingFistOfDoom said:

Just a heads up that I'm about to release a bunch of polls to attempt to have a general idea of what is considered to be the favorite martial arts movie for every year from 1970 up until today.  I'm only allowed 3 questions (i.e. years) per poll, so there will be several pages.  The first part (1970-1984) will be in the Classic Martial Arts Cinema forum, and the second part (1984-2017) will be in the Modern Martial Arts Cinema forum.  I tried to include every movie that could conceivably be chosen as a favorite, but avoided the truly crappy ones (unless it's one that some consider a guilty pleasure) or the really obscure ones.  Apologies in advance if I missed your favorite, and I could possibly modify the poll if you let me know (first time I do polls on this site).  I'm also thinking of doing a top 3 per year, as some years were simply overflowing with classics.  But I believe that would have to be manually calculated.  

Excellent idea for a series of threads!

Also, welcome to the forum!

10 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

@KenHashibe Cast your votes!

Done! I'll be posting my thoughts on each year soon.

One Armed Boxer

A question for @SmokingFistOfDoom, are you also voting in the polls, or are you taking a Keanu Reeves approach from 'Man of Tai Chi', and monitoring things with a sinister stare from the distance?

You can count me in! I am already working on it and will cast my votes soon. 

Great to see such an enthusiastic response for these polls from forum members; this augurs well for a meaningful result. I look forward to following their progress.

My sincere thanks @SmokingFistOfDoom for your time and effort conducting these polls.

DragonClaws

Gonna vote today, gonna be hard to choose titles from more recent years featured in the pool. The other extreme being the late 70's early 80's, where theres so many great films to choose from.

11 hours ago, danthemandmv said:

My votes have been cast- AWESOME poll, by the way!:BL-BeWaterMyFriend:

Omigosh! Danthemandmv actually posted! This day will be held in remembrance! :)

@danthemandmv, did you by any chance use to participate on the Xenorama message board?

SmokingFistOfDoom

Thank you all for your kind words!  I'd thought of having a ''best picture'' for martial arts films by year for some time (it evolved from imagining a best picture for action movies in general), and had never seen it done on a given website, so I figured why not here. My initial intention was to post MY personal choice for each year, complete with a few ''runners up'' if necessary, and see what everyone thought of my choices, then as I struggled with choosing for several of the years (as seems to be the case with many members!), and looked at other years where I realized I had only seen 1 or 2 from that year, I decided that simply polling everyone would probably be a lot more efficient.  Judging from people's reaction, it appears to have been time well spent, so I'm glad this worked out. :blush

I've tried to update the polls as suggestions come in.  Hopefully the fact that several people had already voted won't distort the ''consensus'' too much, i.e. the top 3 movies of each year.  To answer @One Armed Boxer I do intend to vote myself, although for a few years there are some major classics that I haven't seen yet (especially early 70s... and no, I'm not talking about Bruce Lee movies), so I feel it would only be fair if I see those ones first, to have a more ''complete'' point of view.  However I won't be seeing all of them before I vote... that would take quite a while and I have a pretty good idea of my choice for several of the years anyways.

danthemandmv
17 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Omigosh! Danthemandmv actually posted! This day will be held in remembrance! :)

@danthemandmv, did you by any chance use to participate on the Xenorama message board?

Indeed I did, Dr.Ngor! Did you post there under the username ''Igadevil''? Man, I miss the little community we had there but luckily I was able to friend many of our Xenorama comrades on Facebook(I'm there under my real name, Danny Coffin .) But let me say that, both at the Xeno board & here at Kung Fu Fandom I ALWAYS love reading your posts!

24 minutes ago, danthemandmv said:

Indeed I did, Dr.Ngor! Did you post there under the username ''Igadevil''? Man, I miss the little community we had there but luckily I was able to friend many of our Xenorama comrades on Facebook(I'm there under my real name, Danny Coffin .) But let me say that, both at the Xeno board & here at Kung Fu Fandom I ALWAYS love reading your posts!

I believe I used to post on Xenorama as DeathSquirrel, and then later on as H-Man. Dave and I used to get in good-natured arguments about who would win in a fight, Jet Li or Alexander Fu Sheng.

danthemandmv
On 5/29/2017 at 3:31 PM, DrNgor said:

I believe I used to post on Xenorama as DeathSquirrel, and then later on as H-Man. Dave and I used to get in good-natured arguments about who would win in a fight, Jet Li or Alexander Fu Sheng.

Ah,sorry for the misidentification Dr.Ngor-I remember your & David's good-natured ribbing re Jet vs  Fu Sheng. By the way-SWEET avatar of Doris Lung Chun Er! Xenon Video's retitled release of ''SECRET MESSAGE'' ( which Xenon dubbed ''THE STOMP'' ) was my introduction to this underrated kung fu film femme...

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Uhm, where can I see poll?:blush

5 threads are in the Classic Martial Arts forum (covering 1970 - 1984) & 11 threads are in the Modern Martial Arts forum (covering 1985 - 2016).

Tex Killer

Voted all, some of modern day sections were quite tricky and had to choose few bad movies or vote for others 2 would not have been registered.

ShaOW!linDude
13 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Voted all, some of modern day sections were quite tricky and had to choose few bad movies or vote for others 2 would not have been registered.

I had 2 polls I don't think I voted in for that same reason.

Archived