Shaw Brothers Anthology films

panku

Shaw Brothers Anthology films

Most of these films are made up of stories in a similar vein, each with a unique title, but a few follow one character through reincarnations or other story devices and are separated into untitled but connected segments.

I've listed them in release order, as well as the number of segments in each film. I've included the five films from The Criminals series, but unlike that thread, I do not have the info on the cast and crew or a synopsis. I thought fans of this style of film might be interested in a list to work from, since it's not always obvious if a film is an anthology or not, and the similar titles can get confusing after seeing a few.

1972 (3) Trilogy of Swordsmanship (The Iron Bow / The Tigress / White Water Strand)
1972 (3) Legends of Lust
1973 (2) Tales of Larceny (The Scholar and The Soldier / Tales of Larceny)
1973 (3) Adultery Chinese Style (Exhausted / Dumpling Noodles / Green Hat)
1973 (3) Facets of Love
1973 (3) Illicit Desire (Unique Writing: Lan Ting Card / Unique Book: Hui Lian / Unique Technique: The Little Fairy)
1975 (3) Fearful Interlude (The Haunted House / The Cold Skeleton / A Wolf of Ancient Times)
1975 (4) That's Adultery! (Bless the Child / Inside and Outside the Jar / Sleep Peacefully / On 2nd Underneath the Bed)
1976 (3) The Criminals (Hidden Torsos / Valley of the Hanged / The Stuntsmen)
1976 (4) Erotic Nights (Love Inn / Cheating the Cheats / Thief of Thieves / The Tattooed Buttock)
1976 (2) Crazy Sex (The Poison Weed / The Illicit Lovers)
1976 (4) Homicides: The Criminals 2 (The Deaf Mute Killer / Mama San / The Informer / Nude in the Box)
1976 (4) Love Swindler (Deadly Injections / Counterfeit / Social Disease / Hire Purchase)
1977 (2) Moods of Love    
1977 (2) Arson: The Criminals 3 (Gun Snatchers / Arson)
1977 (2) Assault: The Criminals 4 (Maniac / Queen of Temple Street)
1977 (2) Teenager's Nightmare: The Criminals 5 (Gun / The Teenager's Nightmare)
1977 (4) Dreams of Eroticism
1978 (3) Sensual Pleasures
1979 (2) The Ghost Story
1979 (3) Return of the Dead
1980 (2) Haunted Tales (Haunted Tales / The Prize Winner)
1981 (3) Avengers From Hell (Avengers From Hell / I Want My Baby / Empty Winning)
1981 (2) Family of Lust (Family of Lust / The Third Hand)
1983 (3) Take Care, Your Majesty (Women in the Sacks / Through the Telescope / Take Care, Your Majesty)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShawAngela

Regarding Naughty scandals, if your purpose is to know if the characters are related to any of the movies you mentioned in your list, I think that they aren't : it's a whole movie without any segments telling how three friends who arrived as clandestines in Hong Kong lead their lives and how one of them is cheated by a playboy.

There are two segments in Ghost story, even if there aren't credits at the end of the first one and at the beginning of the second one, the link between the two being made by Yueh Hua telling the two stories to people of his village.

Archived