John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019) - Keanu Reeves, Halle Berry, Mark Dacascos

AlbertV

Drunken Monk

Personally, I think they should have wrapped it up with the third film. It would make for the perfect trilogy. But, if they feel like they can outdo part 3, I'm all for a fourth John Wick.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, Karlos said:

We're getting John Wick: Chapter 4 in exactly 2 years!

I'm so glad they aren't dilly-dallying about. Just wish Keanu wasn't wasting time on a new Bill & Ted installment. Should've left that where he put it down.

There's almost too much action in this movie, but I have to say... Mark Dacascos is the gift that keeps on giving in this movie, I absolutely loved him.

Virtually no one films action like this nowadays so yeah, this gets a definitive recommend from me for all action movie fans out there.

I really liked this, hope there will be more movies like this again. I give this a thumbs up.😉 Who would have thought this would happen these days, it is nice. Hopefully starts a trend.

This movie ought to feature some of the best action set pieces I've ever seen in a "mainstream" film. Done in a unique and refreshing way that should keep any action fan excited!

Unfortunately all of this comes at a cost. There are certain times where the movie suffers from pacing issues. The action starts with such a blast, I personally felt it ran out of breath towards the end.

And while the grand showdown featured some classic hand-to-hand combat it was also the most disappointing for me. Also the ending was like...Meh! I'm not sure I need to see another Chapter.

Despite all this it stands as a true achievement for the action and stunt industry. For that alone one should seek it out!

Finally, FINALLY seen it and.... Hell. Yes. There are things in this film that I genuinely don't think I've seen in any other film, ever. The stables fight for instance, the use of the horses was astonishingly inventive, I felt every crunch of every blow. And my goodness Dacascos has still got those high flying kicks in him! Yayan and Cecep's fight scene was - I apologise  for using profanity but I can't think of a better accolade - fucking awesome. Also winced a lot at Halle Berry and her attack dogs, another original feature. I liked as well that the Concierge finally gets in on the action too. My issues seem to be the same as everybody else's, the plot was slight and the pacing was at times too frenetic, but minor quibbles - I have no doubt that this will be seen as the best action film of the year by far (unless Ip Man 4 pulls something magnificent out of the bag I suppose)

2 hours ago, SamSeed said:

I have no doubt that this will be seen as the best action film of the year by far (unless Ip Man 4 pulls something magnificent out of the bag I suppose)

Meh, as much as I look forward to Ip Man 4 I predict most of the action is only going to be good without the "wow" factor like this movie is printed all over with. Ip Man 3 was the same. Excuse me for sounding overly pessimistic but Woo Ping's creativity in fight choreography dried out long-time ago and I don't think it's ever coming back.

Drunken Monk

Over the years, we've seen Hong Kong style action seep into Hollywood's style. Can we expect Hong Kong to now take some pointers from John Wick 3 and up their action game?

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Over the years, we've seen Hong Kong style action seep into Hollywood's style. Can we expect Hong Kong to now take some pointers from John Wick 3 and up their action game?

If only they would. It'd be pretty ironic.

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

And still being stuck on conventional HK-style wirework and 80s fight choreography. All hope left for Hong Kong action cinema at this point now rests in Donnie's hands, hence why I always look forward to what he does whenever he acts AND choreographs at the same time regardless of material he works with.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:15 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Here’s hoping but I can’t see it happening,they seem to concentrate too much on people flying around even in the modern setting.

So this is the movie everyone's been hyping about... 

Spoiler

book fighting, knife throwing, swordfighting while on motorbikes, using horses and dogs during fighting, AND using characteristic elements during fighting scenes etc.

This has now become a contender and found a place in action movie history. Hell, I will even go far as to take this movie anyday over everything from the Raid movies. I don't think I've seen fight scenes with so much mix-ups, variation and character in a long time. I loved all action set-pieces from start to finish. Reeves, Berry, Dacascos, Yayan/Cecep, Tiger Chen/Roger Yuan... Wow. Just... Wow!!!

hanshotfirst1138

I do wish they hadn’t grabbed new screenwriters; I wasn’t thrilled with where the story went in a few places, though I reserve judgement to see how well the final pays it off. That said, apart from Fast and Furious, this is more or less one of the last genuine action franchises around, and Dacascos continues to be an awesome badass. I had lots of fun with the action, and at the end of the day, that’s what counts. Bring on #4!

Lionsgate Films releases John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum in a Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook with 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy on September 17, 2019 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/John-Wick-Chapter-3-Parabellum-4K-Blu-ray/245623/ 

The release date has not been announced yet for the Blu-ray + Digital Copy and 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy editions.   

Drunken Monk
7 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Lionsgate Films releases John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum in a Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook with 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy on September 17, 2019 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/John-Wick-Chapter-3-Parabellum-4K-Blu-ray/245623/ 

The release date has not been announced yet for the Blu-ray + Digital Copy and 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy editions.   

That's a pretty steelbook right there.

Had to wait for others to be critical before I could to avoid raining on the parade. I had many problems with this movie. Too many lame plots and gimmicks, imo deserts and horses dont belong in John Wick movies (same issue with aquaman). Really disliked the whole origin story thing they created with this movie.

Not enough hand on hand combat, instead too much gimmicky garbage to please casual fans such as the lame attack dogs scene, horse stable fight, overly gory knife shop fight, etc.

Halle Berry shouldnt have even been in this movie, I felt her character added nothing to it. A Ruby Rose replacement is cloned in to fill an equally annoying role (lady enforcing rules.)

The one worthwhile fight is against Mark Dacascos with great neon lighting and exposed glass. Creating an appropriote setting for how a John Wick movie is supposed to look.

Loved what worked for me about this movie (the stuff that could have sit into the other two movies) but found everything else tedious. Didnt go for a second viewing for this reason. Will be glad to own this on blu ray to be able to fast forward certain sequences if I feel like it.

Plot was also so overblown with everyone switching sides and betraying eachother that it reminded me of Pirates of The Carribean 3, which I actually enjoy that aspect of in that movie. 

On 6/21/2019 at 2:07 AM, Koravec said:

lame attack dogs scene

This was probably worst scene in movie, in middle when berry and reeves seems slay 101 henchmen by headshots&bit use of knives&dogs attack groins felt that lasted eternity. Did not take a look at times but can be it was even 5 minutes. Anyway far too long, had it been over for 30-60 seconds ok but not remember last time when action felt this boring..And movie did not start to interest again. It started quite good tho, but indeed when it started to become origin got weaker..

I liked knife shop fight but horse kicks were silly. Dunno if meant slapstick or not???

Action was mostly good/great but have no trouble finding several lot better USA movies for revisit than this...

@Tex Killer Glad to get some feedback on these opinions I had. Dont get me wrong, Im biased for the Wick movies, therefore I f*cking loved it regardless. I just had a lot of problems with it where they tried to make it appeal to a larger audience while reaching out of the main aesthetics, action, and characters, etc than John Wixk should be. I dont are if it would become repetitive to recycle such similarities as before without much else.  

Actually revisiting my experience watching this makes me want to see it again. All the hotel scenes were great.

2 hours ago, Koravec said:

@Tex Killer Glad to get some feedback on these opinions I had. Dont get me wrong, Im biased for the Wick movies, therefore I f*cking loved it regardless. I just had a lot of problems with it where they tried to make it appeal to a larger audience while reaching out of the main aesthetics, action, and characters, etc than John Wixk should be. I dont are if it would become repetitive to recycle such similarities as before without much else.  

Actually revisiting my experience watching this makes me want to see it again. All the hotel scenes were great.

I liked first two movies better but as they were already thin on plot and it was obvious from end of #2 whats the name of game will be on 3rd it delivered it`s purpose to spend ~2 hours. I did not revisit other movies tho either, these flicks are entertaining to watch one time. While john wick 4 will be essential to see, lot more looking forward to Continental serie than movie.

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (USA, 2019) [DCP] – 3/5
Fun, but with a downwards trend. The best stuff is in the beginning. The knife room fight is fabulous, with Keanu in career best form, filmed with very long (but not overly long takes). and choreographed mad creativity. The final fights are less imaginative, and also use quicker edits. Some good bits here and there, like the battle dogs, but also failed opportunities like the motorcycle chase which packs so much movement that none of it ends up having an impact (still way better than the same scene in The Villainess). Cinematography and editing remains acceptable throughout, far above the mess that was John Wick 2, but they could still learn from the 180 degree rule. Oh and why did they have Mark Dacascos speak random lines in clumsy Japanese? There was no need for that, just stick to English, please. Overall, better than Wick 2, not as good as Wick 1 that had more interesting world building.

At first when I saw Dacascos in the film, I was like "oh, cool, Kenji Oba".

a-mark.jpg

a-oba.jpg

Archived