Flying Fists Of The Future - Science Fiction & Martial Arts Movies

DragonClaws

Here's a Chinese movie sci-fi trailer with martial arts. Title is "Chui Shen" aka The Legend of Hammer.  It's a 2020 movie, with a Chinese release of February 4, and looks cheaply made.  I can't read Chinese or Cyrillic so have no idea of the plot.  Trailer -

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Currently working my way through Into the Badlands, I'm very late to this party. In short its a fantastic show with some top notch fight choreography & stunt work. There was clearly a lot of hard work and dedication put into this show. It more than deserved to run a lot longer than it did.

• Like 2

There's an episode of Babylon 5 called “TKO” that has a fictitious martial art called Mutai:

• Like 4

Re-edited and up-dated the main A-Z list with more sci-fi themed Martial Arts titles.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:09 PM, whitesnake said:

Bloodshot looks like it fits the definition as well, with Vin Diesel playing a nanotech warrior.  He fights some guy who has extra robotic arms, like Doc Ock.  It's gotta be better than Upgrade, a real chore to sit through (watching on HBO).

Do you think I should add this Vin Diesel movie to the list?.

Added a lot more titles I'd missed, thanks to @One Armed Boxer, @AlbertV, @DrNgor , @whitesnake for all your help so far. Thanks also goes out to everyone else who suggested titltes I'd missed out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

For the record, Virtual Combat suuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkksssss! (Just so you know.)

Is that the one with Lorenzo Lamas?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

It stars Don Wilson & Michael Bernardo, I posted the trailer in this thread a few posts back.

• Like 1

I'm going to mention The World's End (2013), a sci-fi comedy starring Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Simon Pegg, and Rosamund  Pike.  IMDB - "Five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from twenty years earlier unwittingly become humanity's only hope for survival".  They get involved in barroom brawls with invading aliens and robots.  The fights aren't great, but they're fun.  Trailer -

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
22 hours ago, DrNgor said:

20 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It stars Don Wilson & Michael Bernardo, I posted the trailer in this thread a few posts back.

I believe it also features an appearance by Cynthia Rothrock. And by appearance, I mean just that. No fu from her.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Did anyone mention Babylon A.D., which has some martial arts from Michelle Yeoh?

I dont think anybody has mentioned this Vin Diesel movie, is it worth added to the A-Z list?.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, whitesnake said:

I'm going to mention The World's End (2013), a sci-fi comedy starring Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Simon Pegg, and Rosamund  Pike. 

There's some Hong Kong style fight choreogrpahy, during at least one of the group fights. I don't think it's enough to warrant it being added to the A-Z list?.

12 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I believe it also features an appearance by Cynthia Rothrock. And by appearance, I mean just that. No fu from her.

Thanks @ShaOW!linDude, I don't think I've ever watched this one before.

Recently added this Japanese Sonny Chiba flick to the list, reviews mention it features Martial Arts?. It's not a flick I've had the chance to see yet.

• Like 2

Martial Artists in Sci-Fi

Link- https://www.backtothemovies.com/martial-artists-in-sci-fi/

There’s long been a place in Hollywood for skilled fighters and martial arts masters. While many pugilists find a natural home behind-the-scenes as stunt artists and fight choreographers, a few charismatic fighters make it in front of the camera, becoming certified action stars in their own right.

• Like 1

Possibly a controversial opinion but still, I feel like Drive 1997 has a small science fiction element and I'm not talking about Walter The Einstein Frog, but rather the 'biological energy module' or 'bio-engine' which explains Toby Wong's (Mark Dacascos) super human fighting ability as well as serving as a MacGuffin for the plot. I feel having the 'bio-engine' installed in Toby Wong's chest makes him a cyborg, even though such a thing is never explicitly mentioned. Remove the brief mentions of the 'bio-engine' and your left with a contemporary movie with highly stylized action (gun fu and wire fu like). More simply put a contemporary action movie, which is mostly what it is.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, DragonClaws said:

Recently added this Japanese Sonny Chiba flick to the list, reviews mention it features Martial Arts?. It's not a flick I've had the chance to see yet.

I've never seen it myself, but perhaps @Takuma or @KUNG FU BOB knows?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

I've never seen it myself, but perhaps @Takuma or @KUNG FU BOB knows?

I've seen it. But I don't remember :lol:

But I don't think there was much in the way of martial arts. Maybe some swordplay. The film was a combination of Star Wars and Satomi hakkenden (the same old samurai tale that Fukasaku later filmed as Legend of the 8 Samurai).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Possibly a controversial opinion but still, I feel like Drive 1997 has a small science fiction element and I'm not talking about Walter The Einstein Frog, but rather the 'biological energy module' or 'bio-engine' which explains Toby Wong's (Mark Dacascos) super human fighting ability as well as serving as a MacGuffin for the plot. I feel having the 'bio-engine' installed in Toby Wong's chest makes him a cyborg, even though such a thing is never explicitly mentioned. Remove the brief mentions of the 'bio-engine' and your left with a contemporary movie with highly stylized action (gun fu and wire fu like). More simply put a contemporary action movie, which is mostly what it is.

Now added to the list @Omni Dragon, I thought I'd already added this title but I'd forgotten about it.

17 hours ago, Takuma said:

But I don't think there was much in the way of martial arts. Maybe some swordplay. The film was a combination of Star Wars and Satomi hakkenden (the same old samurai tale that Fukasaku later filmed as Legend of the 8 Samurai).

I might remove this one from the A-Z list then?, added the title based on other peoples comments I'd read online.

• Like 2

The Doctor from Doctor Who apparently uses a fictitious martial art called Venusian aikido (sometimes called Venusian karate).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

The Doctor from Doctor Who apparently uses a fictitious martial art called Venusian aikido (sometimes called Venusian karate).

Hi @Omni Dragon,  the Vulcans in Star Trek also had their own form of self defence. I think it was called Suus Mahna Sarek?.

270px-Suus_Mahna_Sarek_Full.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @Omni Dragon,  the Vulcans in Star Trek also had their own form of self defence. I think it was called Suus Mahna Sarek?.

As far as I can tell within Star Trek, Suus Mahna is a Vulcan martial art style and Suus Mahna Sarek is a version of the Sarek character.

Memory Alpha has a list of the martial arts styles of Star Trek https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Martial_arts#Types:

Angosian
Human
Klingon
Norcadian
Vulcan
The writers' second draft script of ENT: "Breaking the Ice" referred to a Vulcan martial art called Sha'mura, though that discipline is not referenced in canon.
Other

• Like 3