Flying Fists Of The Future - Science Fiction & Martial Arts Movies

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Here's another title thats not been mentioned yet, Kris Kristofferson, Kathy Long, Gary Daniels, Lance Henriksen directed by Albert Pyun(Cyborg)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Omni Dragon
On 22/05/2017 at 11:45 PM, whitesnake said:

Message from Space (Uchu kara no messeji, 1978) starring Sonny Chiba, Vic Morrow, Etsuko Shihomi, Tetsuro Tamba, Hiroyuki Sanada.  It was heavily influenced by Star Wars.

It could be argued that the Jedi and Sith (in Star Wars) are martial artists who study a sort (form) of sword fighting.

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It could be argued that the Jedi and Sith (in Star Wars) are martial artists who study a sort (form) of sword fighting.

George Lucas was heavily influenced by the Japanese samurai and cinema. the Jedi's clothing is very similar if you compare them.

c9f5bdefd7b5de23eb1b8f44212f9f48.jpg

3f7d7c8fcd7dfdd9eef4a03337da2f24.jpg

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Another title that could could possibly be considered a Sci-Fi/Martial Arts mix-up?.

Are there any other DTV Steven Seagal titles that suit this thread?.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon

Robotrix (Cat III action flick with a plot about androids).

I Love Maria. I've not seen this HK action movie but title and costumes suggest it was inspired by Metropolis.

I've not seen The Clones of Bruce lee but it seems to be arguably SF. Scientist use technology to create Bruce Lee clones. Similar to Frankenstein?

Robo Vampire. I was surprised to see something from Filmark turn up as part of a SF movie collection I own.

• Like 2

The Iceman Cometh (1989) could peripherally count, if you consider the then-present as the future (as it was for the time travelling warriors).

• Like 3

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Robotrix (Cat III action flick with a plot about androids).

How did I forget about this title, thanks for the multiple suggestions @Silver and Gold Dragon.

22 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I've not seen The Clones of Bruce lee but it seems to be arguably SF. Scientist use technology to create Bruce Lee clones. Similar to Frankenstein?

The only Bruceploitation title thats been mentioned in this thread so far.

Another first for the list is an IFD/Filamrk movie, in the form of Rbo Vampire(1988), that you also brought to my attention.

6 hours ago, Asmo said:

The Iceman Cometh (1989) could peripherally count, if you consider the then-present as the future (as it was for the time travelling warriors).

Hi @Asmo, thanks for the suggestion, Ill add that one to the list ASAP.

519X5D9TM4L.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Omni Dragon

Has anyone seen 2000 A.D?  And could it be considered SF? http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=8600&display_set=eng

8 hours ago, Asmo said:

It's been a while since I've watched The Iceman Cometh, so I looked at clips on youtube to help construct this post.

I would say for the most part at least The Iceman Cometh is more fantasy than SF but there is a rather blurred boundary between the 2 genres, even if genre can truly be definitive and objective?

Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Without getting too complicated with the physics of time. The first time jump in The Iceman Cometh time passes at the same rate as normal. It's only the warriors who think there's a jump in time, since they are frozen, but for the rest of the world time is progressing at a normal rate.

And as for Yuen Biao's character travelling back in time at the end it seemed to use the supernatural and/or magic as appose to advance science or technology.

The only scene I can think of that has SF elements was the 1 where the warriors are defrosted and become conscious into the world of 1989. Ignoring the fact how well preserved they are. I'm undecided if they are resurrected by supernatural/magic means or through advanced technology or maybe even both?

For me at least it's fantasy with a small argument for SF.

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
On 6/12/2017 at 2:18 PM, DragonClaws said:

Another title that could could possibly be considered a Sci-Fi/Martial Arts mix-up?.

Are there any other DTV Steven Seagal titles that suit this thread?.

Been a while since I've seen it, but I don't know that this one would count.

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Been a while since I've seen it, but I don't know that this one would count.

Same here, all I can recall is the movie being set in a Hi-Tech prison, might have to re-watch this next time its on T.V.

• Like 2

Tiger Claws III has a bit of a sci-fi edge as the villains (not Loren Avedon) are resurrected dead warriors and when you have one shooting out fireballs or laserballs..whatever they are...I think this should possibly count

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 15/06/2017 at 4:59 PM, AlbertV said:

Tiger Claws III has a bit of a sci-fi edge as the villains (not Loren Avedon) are resurrected dead warriors and when you have one shooting out fireballs or laserballs..whatever they are...I think this should possibly count

Yet to see Part 3 in the series, I'll add it to the list for now.

Amazed at how many films I'd forgotten about, and just how many I'd never even heard about before starting this thread.

DragonClaws

One of Scott Adkins up-coming movies Incoming(2018) appears to mix science fiction and martial arts.

IMDB synopsis- The International Space Station is now a prison - the ultimate black site. No one's getting out. And no one knows it's there. But when the imprisoned terrorists take over the Station and turn it into a missile aimed at Moscow, only a shuttle pilot and a rookie doctor can stop them. Their task is complicated by a rogue CIA agent (Scott Adkins) who has his own plans for the station and the terrorists within.

• Like 1

What was going on at the end of that trailer? The way it slowed down made it look sort of like the old stop motion stuff.

It also made me think of one that should be added to the list. Metallic Attraction: Kung Fu Cyborg with Wu Jing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

It also made me think of one that should be added to the list. Metallic Attraction: Kung Fu Cyborg with Wu Jing.

Thanks for the suggestion @HyperDrive, I've been a bit lazy and need to add a few more titles that people have suggested in previous posts.

Here's one in production in Malaysia.  Duality is a 2018 "sci-fi action thriller... which tells a dystopian tale of Miss Red, an amnesiac who awakens to unknown whereabouts, and a mysterious set of skills that become vital to her survival as she fights to seek answers about who she is, why she was displaced, and the person(s) responsible."  It's "a female-lead action film that is packed with fight scenes" with Chin Chun Ket as fight action choreographer.  He's trained the cast in mixed-martial arts, "Krav Maga, tactical firearms, edge weapons and knives defence, and kickboxing".  More at -

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2017/09/duality-directing-duo-readies-female.html

• Like 2

On 19/09/2017 at 3:22 PM, whitesnake said:

Here's one in production in Malaysia.  Duality is a 2018 "sci-fi action thriller... which tells a dystopian tale of Miss Red, an amnesiac who awakens to unknown whereabouts, and a mysterious set of skills that become vital to her survival as she fights to seek answers about who she is, why she was displaced, and the person(s) responsible."  It's "a female-lead action film that is packed with fight scenes" with Chin Chun Ket as fight action choreographer.  He's trained the cast in mixed-martial arts, "Krav Maga, tactical firearms, edge weapons and knives defence, and kickboxing".  More at -

Thanks posting about this production @whitesnake.

Here's another for the list.

• Like 1

The Steven Seagal, Sasha Mitchell sci-fi themed actioner Cyborg Nemesis: Dark Rift, directed by Albert Pyun appears to still be in develoment. Does anyone on here know if Albert Pyun's health, is still cuasing him to take out time from filmaking?. Martial Artist Olivier Gruner was attached to the project at one time too.

IMDB Link- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2075291/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

5388081_orig.png?187

• Like 1