Operation Red Sea (2018) Dante Lam

mark187

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it'll be released around October-November. I think Dante Lam finished it last month but I'm not sure

https://t.co/wlK1tMEjdl?amp=1

here's a look at the first real trailer! By the way, I was listening to 2Pac's All Eyez on Me album when the original footage showcase hit in May, and Tradin' War Stories was playing. That song went really well with that footage. Dante Lam should get permission from the Shakur estate and play that in the end credits of ORS

Recently watched Wolf Warrior 2, and here's a second movie in which the Chinese Navy dares to sail where the U.S. and other foreign navies will not, because the situation is too dangerous. 

2 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Recently watched Wolf Warrior 2, and here's a second movie in which the Chinese Navy dares to sail where the U.S. and other foreign navies will not, because the situation is too dangerous. 

What's up with these recent China to the rescue movies... Seriously!?

Here are a few articles that explain somewhat what's going on with these recent Chinese nationalistic movies:

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1000680/how-blockbuster-war-movies-capture-chinas-changing-nationalism

http://chinafilminsider.com/screen-china-nationalist-films-heat-frigid-summer-box-office/

https://qz.com/1051519/chinas-military-loves-patriotic-movies-so-much-it-opened-its-bases-and-fighter-jets-to-filming-for-sky-hunter/ 

and a review of Operation Mekong - http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/operation-mekong-review-1201897197/ in which "With unembarrassed jingoism, Lam decorates his Chinese characters with every virtue of innocence, bravery, fraternity, self-sacrifice, and nobility, while outside China's borders all is corruption, cowardliness, depravity, and ineptitude".

Despite the over-the-top virtues of the Chinese in Wolf Warrior 2, I really did enjoy it as an action movie.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one recently, and for the most part it's hugely entertaining, until a tagged on final scene which, despite lasting just a few seconds, for some may be enough to sour everything that's gone before.  I gave it the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/operation-red-sea-2018-review/

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I got through watching this one recently, and for the most part it's hugely entertaining, until a tagged on final scene which, despite lasting just a few seconds, for some may be enough to sour everything that's gone before.  I gave it the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/operation-red-sea-2018-review/

Another perceptive and insightful review, ODB. Can't wait to catch this on the big screen on Monday...  hope Lam improved his CGI work, some FX in OPERATION MEKONG looked outright lousy.

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, Sheng said:

Another perceptive and insightful review, ODB. Can't wait to catch this on the big screen on Monday...  hope Lam improved his CGI work, some FX in OPERATION MEKONG looked outright lousy.

That's OAB to you.:tongueout  The CGI is hugely improved (no horrendous green screen helicopter work in sight this time), however it's still noticeably CG.  I'd say the main difference is that in 'Operation Red Sea' it's not as overly distracting or detrimental to the entertainment factor as it was in 'Operation Mekong'.

Drunken Monk

This is playing at a cinema ten minutes away from my house, so I'll be going to see it tomorrow more than likely.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

This is playing at a cinema ten minutes away from my house, so I'll be going to see it tomorrow more than likely.

Damn, although I'd definitely never have said this before watching it, now that I have I'd have loved for the first time I checked it out to have been on the big screen! Enjoy, & look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Drunken Monk

The cinema near me often plays Chinese movies and I love going because it's usually just me in the theater. Maybe one or two other people. So, on Saturday I headed out to watch "Operation Red Sea". I get there and the lobby of the cinema is alive with Cantonese and Mandarin. There's not a non-Asian face in the place.

I got to buy my ticket and...sold out. The showing after that? Sold out. I was so gutted!

Needless to say, I've been unable to watch this one thus far. I'm hoping it's still playing this weekend but I'm not getting my hopes up.

This one was pretty good, Triple Threat is likely the only pure action film that’ll top it from this year! Overall though, I liked Operation Mekong a bit better, but this was still really good 

Interview article - Operation Red Sea director Dante Lam and producer Candy Leung talk about the movie and more at https://screenanarchy.com/2018/07/new-york-asian-2018-interview-hong-kong-action-legend-dante-lam-and-producer-candy-leung-talk-operati.html

At the bottom of the interview is a link to extended content and exclusive photos.

NoKUNGFUforYU

China doing what the USA has done for years now, along with Russia. Trying to get the hicks pumped up to send their kids off to a land war. I like action, but I don't like it when it leads to real life consequences.

Drunken Monk

The best action film of 2018, so far? ABSOLUTELY. It took me about thirty minutes to invest in the film but once I was on board, I loved every minute of it. It’s literally a non-stop action-fest.

Does it have an agenda? Maybe. Is it laughably patriotic? Oh yes. But can all that be set aside? Yup.

If you like “Black Hawk Down” and it’s ilk, you will love this. The action is thick, fast and great to look at. Luxia Jiang (and others) get to shine. This is really, REALLY good stuff.

I'm not a fan of military action films, so I'm not as crazy about ORS as some other viewers.

Still, I have to admit it's a very solid effort. As a film, it's much better than Wolf Warrior 2. The cinematography is superb, the locations are great, the whole movie is a real eye candy. It would be a great achievement even for Hollywood, so to see a Chinese film shot on such scale is quite surprising. As far as visuals go, I can't praise it enough.

The plot was a bit disappointing, somewhat predicable. The propaganda aspect was toned down, gore was justified, action was plentiful. Again, I don't care much for military action, so I wasn't that thrilled, although I  enjoyed a little bit closer to the end of the film, involving two cars - one with the protagonists and another with the bad guys. Very, very HK/Chinese piece of action, IMO

The Federation of Motion Film Producers of Hong Kong has picked Operation Red Sea as its entry in the foreign language film Oscar category for 2018, because Dante Lam is a Hong Kong director, even though most of the cast is from China, and the movie only earned a lukewarm $1.1 million at the Hong Kong box office.  Last year China's selection for its foreign language Oscar entry was Wolf Warrior II.  Whatever happened to selecting films for quality, not box office success?  It seems like China is poking the U.S. in the eye by picking Chinese propaganda movies for foreign language Oscar selections two years running.  Technically, Operation Red Sea is a Hong Kong selection, but how much pressure did China put on Hong Kong to make this selection?  (A Chinese entry for 2018 foreign language Oscar hasn't been named yet.)   China now claims the South China Sea and tells the U.S. to stay out, and is making movies in which the U.S. and other foreign navies are too fainthearted for missions where only the Chinese navy dares to go.   

Archived