Hidden Strike (formerly SNAFU/Project X-Traction/Ex-Baghdad) (2023) Jackie Chan, John Cena, Rachel Holoway, Tim Man

DragonClaws

legendarycurry
37 minutes ago, laagi said:

At least John Cena can always go back to being a meme again lol.

Imagine being an individual that without shame apologizes for suggesting Taiwan is a country so his cars go vroom movie doesn't flop in China, but he won't say sorry for dancing like that on the internet where everyone can see.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 6/27/2023 at 6:47 PM, 36tripsofdeath said:

Hidden Strike is releasing here in the US on Netflix on July 28th.

Netflix want people to subscribe right?.............................

:P

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

For some strange reason Hidden Strike is credited as a 2021 film on Netflix. I guess that means the film was copyrighted in 2021 after being filmed three years earlier? This is the only explanation I have for a supposedly brand new film. 

20230715_001822.jpg

• Like 2

Just watched it and it was incredibly average. I didnt mind the Jackie vs John Cena fight, even though Jackie was doubled a lot it was a bit better than I was expecting. A lot of the humour falls flat though and it looks like unfortunately Jackie is there for the paycheck, seems a bit glazed over for most of the film. He looks quite tired in the film as well, as if the five decades of physical exertion were catching up to him.

The effects work veers between dreadful and ok-ish and the action is decent if a bit by the numbers (the end car chase went on for 68 years though.). The plot and characters are so generic and boilerplate its not worth discussing. But its not horrible, and fairly watchable if you're hungover or something.

4 and a half out of 10 for me.

• Like 2

I though it was a bit better than Vanguard.

Humor felt  forced, although Cena sounded pretty good and natural cracking jokes.  Some action was pretty average, but some was good. I liked some interesting bits at the refinery. Also, for the first 45 min we hardly had any action. After that it started moving at a better pace. Two of the main Jackie's fights didn't do it for me. The first one with Cena relied on wirework way too much for my tastes and the "foam" fight, while being quite complicated technically, dragged for too long and wasn't that exciting. Not the worst Jacki's movie, just an average action flick that happened to feature Jackie Chan

• Like 1

I agree with @D1 Ma. It was an okay flick, some of the CGI looked a bit hokey. I know Jackie relies more on wirework these days but one fight sorta stood out and it was the way it was shot. It was early in the movie and it was Tim Man's Knox (aka Etch a Sketch and Scribble Head) vs. I think her name was Yan inside the bus. It wasn't shaky cam or jump cutting to the extreme, it was like a panoramic 360 like vision and I thought it was cool how it was done. I think Cena was the saving grace of the film as it looked like he was having fun with the comic shtick. Jackie did his best for his age at this point, even having a sudsy-filled fight against Etch a Sketch...errr Knox. I would say middle of the road as well....definitely better than Vanguard. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I couldn't watch more than fifteen minutes. The military stuff was dull and the humour was forced. I skipped to the action and I will say I really enjoyed Jackie vs John Cena, nice use of props. Then later the fight where Jackie's balancing on the pipe and there's the classic Jackie Chan Stunt Team member spinning to the ground whilst slamming into something on the way down. But beyond that, pointless.

I haven't seen Ride On yet but I'm hoping it's better than this.

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 1

I gave the movie a chance but didn't finish it past the Chan vs Cena fight scene, and some other action moments with Chan teaming up with Cena. I blame the over-usage of green-screen/CGI background and the quite nationalistic-themed storyline. I usually don't have an issue with CGI as long as they are minimal and doesn't overtake overall authenticity. However, it's extreme here so it's very distracting and takes away enjoyment.

But it has to be said: Chan, at almost 70 years of age, can still produce good fight scenes despite choosing mediocre to terrible scripts. The Chan vs Cena fight is very well choreographed and executed, with Chan's usual tricks but with a different spin to it thanks to Cena's involvement. The moments when Chan and Cena team up is entertaining as well.

Overall, the movie would've been forgettable if it weren't for some good action scenes present. I will now give Ride On a chance too, and just enjoy Chan cranking out good action scenes while he still can.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

PandaPawPaw
6 minutes ago, laagi said:

For those who didn't get any entertainment out of the movie I'd recommend heading over to the COF comment section of our good friend @One Armed Boxer review. Jesus! :yociexp100:

I'm going to attempt to watch it today but if I don't make it back, take care of the Warrior thread for me. :thumbsup

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm going to attempt to watch it today but if I don't make it back, take care of the Warrior thread for me. :thumbsup

Entertainment Warrior GIF by Cinemax

• Buddha Bless You 1

I thought the movie wasn’t bad, just keep your expectations in check (sounds like everyone here is already doing this). I thought the team up if Chan and Cena turned out well, just wish they had partnered up sooner in the film.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:18 PM, AlbertV said:

one fight sorta stood out and it was the way it was shot. It was early in the movie and it was Tim Man's Knox (aka Etch a Sketch and Scribble Head) vs. I think her name was Yan inside the bus. It wasn't shaky cam or jump cutting to the extreme, it was like a panoramic 360 like vision and I thought it was cool how it was done. 

Yes! This fight was very good. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned more, but unfortunately it’s pretty brief. Overall the action design is good in all the fight scenes, but the editing, energy and pacing aren't always quite there. But this fight on the bus really worked for me.

With Chan in his mid to late 60s at the time of filming, this is certainly a competent effort. Unlike the COF review, I thought Jackie’s acting was fine in the first half and the plot was interesting enough. I don’t really mind him (or any actor really) trying to play younger as long as you can pull it off okay (Obviously opinions will vary here). Also noteworthy is the main villain’s performance being surprising low key. Not really going “over-the-top bad guy” until the end when all his plans start coming undone. 

Oh and yes, Cena’s improv outtakes over the end credits are funny. I definitely would have considered keeping at least one in the final cut. 

• Like 1

Same opinion here as @massa_yoda. I thought it was ok for the most part and the last 30 minutes or so was worth sitting through the first hour. The VFX were pretty cheesy and some of it was cringe but I sat through Bleeding Steel, Vanguard, Chinese Zodiac and I had more fun watching this than any of those & it's one of those bad movies that ends up entertaining.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

I tried but I only got to 30mins and that was a pure struggle!

John Cena is meh in it and JC looks old and tired.

Story felt like two different movies meshed into one.

The green screen/CGI is shite. Nothing looks real.

Not funny at all! Cena giving his crew nicknames was awfully bad! Ugh!

No chance of me watching the rest even at gun point.

angry-angry-panda.gif

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

it was watchable. I wouldn't buy a physical release of it though.

Worth storing in you PC though, just for good action scenes.

The comedy in the movie reminds me of Rush Hour. I was waiting for someone to say "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?" either in English or Mandarin.

Not sure I should add anything to this since basically enough has already been said. Besides spending any more time on 'Hidden Strike' seems to be a total waste of time for yours truly and you as reader.

Anyway, it would be easy to just piss all over this. It's a hilarious and somewhat absolute bizarre piece of film.

To me the biggest offender of the entire movie is the absolute cringe worthy comedy. It's even more confusing because the outtakes seem to prove me wrong! Especially in the case of John Cena who's found his trademark in a blend of action and comedy since.

The end even hints at a possible sequel but thankfully nobody (until now...) thought that would be a good idea.

Not the JC's worst movie but definitely up there with their weakest efforts to date.

• Haha 1