Hidden Strike (formerly SNAFU/Project X-Traction/Ex-Baghdad) (2023) Jackie Chan, John Cena, Rachel Holoway, Tim Man

DragonClaws

36tripsofdeath

Via Jackie Chan France

Project X-Traction changes title in the USA

Today we are reacting to an article on the Deadline website, regarding a very recent article on director Scott Waugh's upcoming film, Eye in the Sky, an action film that follows an LAPD helicopter pilot whose the emergency mission is to destroy an over-armed and rampaging Black Hawk helicopter over downtown Los Angeles, after it is hijacked by an arms dealer who escaped incarceration.

But this new Hollywood project is not the subject of our article. Rather, it's the little details that Deadline adds about the American director's latest film: Project X-Traction. Indeed, according to the specialized site, the action film which brings together Jackie Chan and John Cena has changed title (at least in the US). This is now called SNAFU.

In China, the film is called "狂怒 沙暴" or "Furious Sandstorm".

SNAFU is an acronym well known to the US military, used to represent the sarcastic phrase Situation Normal: All Fucked Up. The phrase refers to a bad situation, a big mistake, or a big and unexpected problem.

Although "strange" for us, the choice of this new title in the United States is not a bad idea as this expression of the American army places this predominantly Chinese production in a more American context. It’s easy to imagine that American audiences would shun the film if it was sold as a Chinese military glory movie.

Moreover, the expression being unknown in France, the film will certainly be re-titled with us. (With the legendary laziness of French distributors, we can imagine the title: Gros Bordel!)

Ironically, this new title fits perfectly with the various problems the production has experienced throughout its creation process. (Stallone leaving the project, torrent of mud on the set, covid-19…).

Finally, the Deadline article specifies that the film is now slated for 2022. But does not say if that is the US or China release date.

From our side, we think that the production team of Jackie Chan Sparkle Roll, could indeed favor the release of his film this year as writer-director My Diary and reserve SNAFU for the Chinese New Year 2022. D ' especially since the epidemic situation in the United States is particularly… snafu!

• Like 2

I don't expect anything good from Jackie now. Economic agreements with the Middle East, flirting with the Americans, flirting with the Chinese government, Chinese actors who cannot act and imitate it, ugly CGI effects ... stop it.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Oh no, are we really missing out on more mainland pandering trash from cuckboy Cena and Jackie douchebbag? How will we go on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Oh no, are we really missing out on more mainland pandering trash from cuckboy Cena and Jackie douchebbag? How will we go on?

Agreed, and in all honesty as much as I normally hate US re-titles, in this case I think anything is better then ‘SNAFU’.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Agreed, and in all honesty as much as I normally hate US re-titles, in this case I think anything is better then ‘SNAFU’.

Sounds like an old 60's spy spoof.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Assuming the "new" title is the french version of 8mm :coveredlaugh

• Haha 2

36tripsofdeath

Snafu is set to be released in cinemas in Turkey on July 7, 2023. USA and China release dates are still pending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Snafu is set to be released in cinemas in Turkey on July 7, 2023. USA and China release dates are still pending.

Did I miss something?! Why Turkey of all places? Also there's not even a teaser or trailer out yet...

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath

To the best of my knowledge, Turkey is one of the few places that XYZ Films is not the distributor for the film. The distributor in Turkey confirmed the release date of July 7, 2023. Now, there is always the potential for delays but is indeed  the release date there as of this writing.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 3/30/2023 at 2:38 AM, laagi said:

Why Turkey of all places?

They're probably releasing it in a country that's name most reflects SNAFU’s expected performance at the box office.

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Probably because it's been in release hell for far too long now.

Honestly, I’d much rather have the chance to check out ‘Out of Control’ over this when it comes to movies stuck in release hell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Honestly, I’d much rather have the chance to check out ‘Out of Control’ over this when it comes to movies stuck in release hell.

True but I'm pretty sure we'll never get to see this. I even reached out to the german distributor several times and never got an answer :(

• Sad 1

36tripsofdeath

Saudis Arabia and Russia have added  Hidden Strike to their theater lineups for the same day as Turkey.

According to Jackie Chan France, a trailer for the film was shown on Saudi Arabian Movie Screens this morning. Someone recorded it off the screen with their phone. It appears to have been taken down. I guess I woke up an hour too late. The official trailer is to be released in the near future.

Can't say I'm excited after seeing the poster and leaked teaser. @Drunken Monk thanks for sharing though ;)

Let's wait for a better quality teaser and some actual reviews once it hits theaters. I'm sure given the territories the movie will leak eventually to the net.

It's just weird why it got delayed for so long and also why it's only gonna be shown in these countries. There must be some pretty bad? reason for it.

This has nothing to do with Jackie shooting a movie in the ruins of a syrian city, right? That was pretty bad news in itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/19/jackie-chan-produced-action-movie-films-in-devastated-syrian-city

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath

Thanks very much for uploading the teaser. I am very much looking forward to this film. That teaser was quite good. Looks easily like his best since The Foreigner. This could easily wind up being one of Jackie's best films of the last two decades.

10 hours ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Thanks very much for uploading the teaser. I am very much looking forward to this film. That teaser was quite good. Looks easily like his best since The Foreigner. This could easily wind up being one of Jackie's best films of the last two decades.

Don't you dare compare this to 'The Foreigner' LOL.

The plot is... refreshing?!

"When an oil refinery is attacked, Jackie Luo, a Chinese security professional, is tasked with keeping the company's employees safe. When Luo discovers that the attackers' intent is to steal the oil, he gets the help of Chris Van Horne, an American former Marine."

One Armed Boxer
11 hours ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Looks easily like his best since The Foreigner.

That teaser certainly looked more ‘Skiptrace’ than ‘The Foreigner’ to me.