Suspiria (2018)

AlbertV

I think this was lost in the crash, but a reimagining of the Dario Argento classic Suspiria is coming out later this year. Dakota Johnson will be playing the role originally played by Jessica Harper, who is making an appearance in the new film. The film co-stars Tilda Swinton, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Mia Goth. The film was directed by Luca Guadagnino, who was a fan of the original film.

Argento is none too thrilled about the reimagining of the film and Asia Argento had some choice words for the director on a Reddit Q&A but nonetheless, we are getting it. It was announced today that Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke will be composing the score of the film.

The new film is set in 1977 Berlin and follows a young American woman (Johnson) who joins a prestigious dance company. She arrives just as one of the members mysteriously disappears and begins to suspect that the dance troupe is harboring a disturbing secret.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was announced today that Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke will be composing the score of the film.

Awesome.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I guess I'm curious now since it's Radiohead. The original is just a beautifully shot film. And the score by Goblin, Holy Jesus! Radiohead has a tough act to follow.

Tilda Swinton has been revealed to have two roles in the film. Aside from playing Madame Blanc, the ballet school headmistress, she is playing Dr. Josef Klemperer in heavy make-up, using the pseudonym "Lutz Ebersdorf". She finally revealed the role to CNN

181012100806-tilda-swinton-suspiria-spli

Saw this last week

Suspiria (Italy/USA, 2018) [DCP] - 4/5

One of the most unique remakes of all time, Luca Guadagnino's bleak, socio-political depiction of feminism in a school of witches in divided late 70s Berlin shadowed by the memory of Nazi war crimes. It’s also a deliberation of art and humanity. Almost impossible to digest on one viewing, it's hard to cast the final judgement yet on whether it’s deep or just trying, but it is interesting as hell. Decidedly different from Argento's original, it stands firmly on its own two feet except the gory ending where some of Argento's audio-visual bravura might have been welcome after all. Oh, and half of the film is spoken in German, including Jessica Harper's entire role (she doesn't have a single English line).

Suspiria (Italy/USA, 2018) [DCP] – 4.5/5

Second viewing and I’m starting to lean towards a 4.5 rating. Last time I saw a film twice in theatre it was Blade Runner 2049, which did not improve on the 2nd viewing (due to strong plot focus, I think, which made some segments boring) where as Suspiria did.

I’ve seen some people say the film is overlong and pretentious, even question if Dr. Klemperer’s character is necessary. I think that’s only true if you mistake Susie for the main character! The main character, well, the most important character at least, is of course Dr. Klemperer, and the movie is about 1977 Berlin which features a school of witches, not about a school of witches in 1977 Berlin.

I can see where the criticism is coming, this is a new version of an Argento fever dream after all (even I longed for an Argento style climax on my first viewing). But at the same time I think it’s absolutely insane to wish a remake to be a copy of the original. We don’t need such a film, and we don’t need such restrictions imposed on filmmakers. Thankfully Suspiria 2018 only shares two or three scenes with the Argento film. Isn’t that the best thing that could happen to any original?

Why call it Suspiria then? Because, why not?

It’s cool that the new film excels on the exact areas that Argento’s film ignored: dance and location. In Argento’s film dance really didn’t matter – it could’ve been a gymnastics or swimming school just as well – whereas in the new film dance becomes a form of self expression for oppressed women. Likewise, few people probably even remember that Argento’s film was set in Berlin because it made no difference at all, while in Guadagnino’s film the location is the most important thing in the whole film. Divided, Nazi-traumatized Berlin of course goes extremely well with the oppression and feminism theme.

Beautiful, fascinating film, and not a minute too long. My only gripe: few seconds of nasty CGI at the end.

How is music in remake? Even bit similar to Goblin work? I do not dare to listen samples in tubeclips as fear spoilers to movie are shown but pre-ordered movie..

20 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

How is music in remake? Even bit similar to Goblin work?

Pretty good, but nothing like the original... just like the whole film.

2 hours ago, Takuma said:

Pretty good, but nothing like the original... just like the whole film.

Not going to think original when watch remake...so much time between movies and cinema world has changed.

Still it`s not impossible may take synapse restoration of suspiria from plastic wraps on a day remake arrives to mailbox😘, before or after watching remake lets see...

Archived