Kung Fu movies with Cantonese as main language

PaiLum

HI!

I'm looking for old school kungfu movies with Cantonese as the primary language.  I do have a ton of movies but the only one I can remember with Cantonese as primary is Legendary Weapons of China.  I know that there are a lot with Mandarin as primary and dubbed version of Cantonese, but I'm looking specifically for Cantonese.   Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

Well, if you go really old school, there are a ton made from 1960 to 1970 with Connie Chan, etc. One Armed Magic Nun, Supreme Swordsman, etc.

Mike Leeder

part of the problem is that until about 1992, majority of Hong Kong movies were shot non-sync, with both Cantonese and Mandarin dialogue being ADR'ed,  i know Shaws had its preferences for Mandarin and Cantonese units, i think most of the Venoms movies were shot in Mandarin as majority of Taiwanese cast, while i think most of Lau Kar-leung's were in Cantonese... I could be wrong! 

2 minutes ago, Mike Leeder said:

part of the problem is that until about 1992, majority of Hong Kong movies were shot non-sync, with both Cantonese and Mandarin dialogue being ADR'ed,  i know Shaws had its preferences for Mandarin and Cantonese units, i think most of the Venoms movies were shot in Mandarin as majority of Taiwanese cast, while i think most of Lau Kar-leung's were in Cantonese... I could be wrong! 

Very true, Mike. The bit about Shaws having their preferences lines up with what I've heard.

masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Mike Leeder said:

In the Hong Kong 1950s it was sync sound.  So I believe most of the Kwan Tak-hing "Wong Fei-hung" films were done in Cantonese sync sound -- on a side note I find it interesting on how many of those Lau Kar-leung was in. 

The benefit of ADR'ing for Shaws was also the additional Amoy and other dialects that could be done as well.  Plus they (and other studios as well) often used different voice actors.*  One reason for this was the compartmentalizing aspect (aka factory line) so filming could get done quicker.  Screw up a line, who cares.** Also, outside can be so incredible noisy that post-dubbing also made more sense for outdoor shots, especially for period films :D.

Lau Kar-leung: Dirty Ho would be considered his first official Cantonese release of his directed films.  Here is an older thread on this topic:

In a way this reminds me of the Italian film industry at that time too (though many of those films seem to have horrid dubbing, including the well liked classics from Fellini, Luchino Visconti, etc...

* I'm trying to remember when Jackie Chan first used his own voice for the HK films.  It was around Police Story 2, but I currently cannot remember nor find if it was the first.

* "Many directors, including the kung-fu master Lau Kar-leung, simply asked their players to recite numbers during takes and dubbed in lines later." (from Interview with Gordon Chan) 

Archived