The Kung-Fu Golden Era...Had the Internet Been Around :-)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

There's no shortage of critics when it comes to the net, and while the kung-fu movie has long since past its heyday, any new efforts are quickly given the judge, jury, and executioner treatment. But is it fair? It's with this mindset that we asked the question - what if the net had been around when the classics came out? Would they remain so, or be subject to the same scrutiny we see today? Check out the entirely tongue-in-cheek feature here -

http://cityonfire.com/the-kung-fu-golden-era-had-the-internet-been-around/

computer.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

There's no shortage of critics when it comes to the net, and while the kung-fu movie has long since past its heyday, any new efforts are quickly given the judge, jury, and executioner treatment. But is it fair? It's with this mindset that we asked the question - what if the net had been around when the classics came out? Would they remain so, or be subject to the same scrutiny we see today? Check out the entirely tongue-in-cheek feature here -

http://cityonfire.com/the-kung-fu-golden-era-had-the-internet-been-around/

computer.png

Great article.????

DragonClaws

As someone who got into the kung fu movie scene during the late 90’s, there’s always been a part of me which feels envious of those who got to experience the movies from the 70’s and 80’s golden era first hand, be it in a grindhouse cinema, or on an overly priced VHS tape. The sense of mystery, that came with movie watching back then, had essentially dissipated by the time the internet era was in full flow,

While the internet has effected film fandom in negative ways, the sensitive subject of illegal downloads being an obvious one. There was a drawback to it not being around. The lack of information meant that a lot of fans could easily be exploited. With poor quality over priced bootlegs and misleading VHS covers from both legit and bootleg companies. Not to mention the minefield of buying films that can often have far two many alternative titles. Which could lead to you ordering a movie you already had.

Funny well written article One Armed Boxer, its all too close to the truth at times.

I remember back in the early nineties before I had access to the internet and forums to trade DVD's with other members I paid for way overpriced VHS tapes for films I had saw a decade early on tv's Black Belt Theatre. It was a company called Dragon Video that advertised in martial arts mags like Black Belt and Inside Kung Fu. It was run by George Tan, anybody remember that weasel? 

Shaolivevil
On 4/28/2017 at 11:04 PM, CT KID said:

I remember back in the early nineties before I had access to the internet and forums to trade DVD's with other members I paid for way overpriced VHS tapes for films I had saw a decade early on tv's Black Belt Theatre. It was a company called Dragon Video that advertised in martial arts mags like Black Belt and Inside Kung Fu. It was run by George Tan, anybody remember that weasel? 

Me too, CT KID.

I remember George Tan and the infamous Dragon Video. I too bought VHS tapes from him in those desperate early days of trying to build a martial arts movie collection. I remember begging my mom to let me get a video from him for my birthday or Christmas. I bought THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS (FIVE MASTERS OF DEATH) for $39.95 each. It took almost 4 months for the tapes to arrive and the copy of FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS was pretty much unwatchable.  I remember trying to reach him on the phone with that number he had about my order and all I ever got was his answering machine. I decided to never buy from him again. I also bought kung fu movies from a guy out of Poughkeepsie, NY. His movies were cheaper than Dragon Video and he had an interesting selection of Shaw Bros stuff, including many of their non-martial arts titles. I bought THE SAVAGE FIVE and BLOOD BROTHERS (DYNASTY OF BLOOD) from him for $40 shipped. I cannot recall his name or the name of his company for the life of me but I remember sending away for a catalog for $4 after seeing the ad in BLACK BELT. I even got to talk to him on the phone about kung fu movies. He was a nice guy...

One Armed Boxer
On 29/04/2017 at 0:04 PM, CT KID said:

It was run by George Tan, anybody remember that weasel? 

Enough to have a whole thread dedicated to his 'interesting' business model. -

ShaOW!linDude

Wow, that was a fun romp of an article. Excellent idea.

"...but judging by the trailer it looks like I’ll be waiting for this one to hit Netflix.”

Hmmm, where have I heard this before?

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Enough to have a whole thread dedicated to his 'interesting' business model. -

Yes that was actually me OAB that started that thread lol, I'm the member formally known as Chinatown Kid. Thanks to other members I learned all about Tan after the fact of having dealings with him years before like Shaolivevil. :blush

One Armed Boxer
22 hours ago, CT KID said:

I'm the member formally known as Chinatown Kid.

Oh man, it's good to see you back!  I figured you were one of the lost members.:tongueout Wonder if there's any other older members who are posting under different aliases?

On 5/1/2017 at 9:55 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Oh man, it's good to see you back!  I figured you were one of the lost members.:tongueout Wonder if there's any other older members who are posting under different aliases?

Thanks, I appreciate that sir! I wonder as well if any other older members are posting under a different name now, it would be nice to catchup with how they're doing. I couldn't remember my old password so wasn't able to post under my old username, came up with an abbreviated version to get back on here. Nice to get back to talking with all the other people you share a common bond with about these movies we love so much.

sifu iron perm
On 2017-4-29 at 4:04 AM, CT KID said:

We had our own version in the UK called shaolin video ran by chris Alexis. I bought a few vhs tapes from him, 25 or 30 uk pounds a pop. 

On 5/5/2017 at 5:34 AM, sifu iron perm said:

We had our own version in the UK called shaolin video ran by chris Alexis. I bought a few vhs tapes from him, 25 or 30 uk pounds a pop. 

:D

s-l1600.jpg

nerds were jive talking movies back in the old days of newsgroups. :D

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/net.movies.sw/rotj/net.movies.sw/4ZLuDlIMMl0/0q0yDN7OpqwJ

Archived