One Armed Boxer Uncut?

shukocarl

It's widely recognised that One Armed Boxer was heavily censored by the HK Censors (even more in it's UK Theatrical run). If a full version exists in the archives, IMHO it's as valuable as the missing "full" cut of The Big Boss. Does anyone know of any other versions that's shows more or all the versions out there the same?:bs_confused:

cp1.jpg

• Like 4

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Is there an article or list that goes in-depth about the missing scenes of One-Armed Boxer? It's a good way of getting others interested in the topic, methinks.

• Like 2

I haven't seen a list but it's obvious in the film that a lot of the impact of some of the more bloodier hits has been lessened by trimming frames and not lingering on the effect, when you compare it to other films of the period.

jimnlung.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 25/04/2017 at 2:57 PM, shukocarl said:

It's widely recognised that One Armed Boxer was heavily censored by the HK Censors (even more in it's UK Theatrical run). If a full version exists in the archives, IMHO it's as valuable as the missing "full" cut of The Big Boss. Does anyone know of any other versions that's shows more or all the versions out there the same?

Wish I could help you out but I've never read anything regarding the missing/cut scenes. The version of the movie I viewed will be the same print everyone has seen. The U.K theatrical print like you said was heavily cut, despite the fact the Hong Kong censors had pre-cut the film.

• Like 3

Yeah, KM even the Rank tape from '82 was the uncut version. What I'm alluding to is the fact that when you compare say, Jimmy killing Lo Lieh in The Chinese Boxer, with the same killing blow to Lung Fei in One Arrmed; you can tell the visceral effect has been lessened. When the film came out it fell foul of a new policy by the censors. In contrast it seems The Big Boss missed it...maybe it was released a bit sooner?

jimnyoga.jpg

• Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
4 hours ago, shukocarl said:

When the film came out it fell foul of a new policy by the censors. In contrast it seems The Big Boss missed it...maybe it was released a bit sooner?

The most accurate Hong Kong release date I could find for One Armed Boxer, according to IMDB and HKMDB, is 2 August 1972. Some other places like Wikipedia lists it as 1971, but of course they don't specify the date and month for that year. For simplicity's sake, we'll go for the '72 date, which would put the movie about 10 months after The Big Boss came out. Suffice to say, HK censorship crackdown was well underway in '72, and I would assume that, unlike Bruce Lee's first adult flick, One Armed Boxer went through lots of cuts even before it had the chance of debuting in any HK theater. Apologies in advance for the rather speculative nature of my post; I did not have the chance to watch OAB yet, so I don't exactly have the faintest clue of what could be missing from the current prints compared to the earlier ones.

Edited by lonesome space
  • Like 1

Thanks LS, apparently Bruce's 5 kicks to Chuck's head in WAY were snipped by the censors on it's first run, maybe that came under the same new regulations.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Although not any more uncut, the new UK Blu-ray is superb and highly reccomended.

If you watch this in English, you might recognise the voice of Wang Yu's master...it's Geoffrey Weeks, later Braithwaite in ENTER THE DRAGON.

• Like 2

So I'm watching this movie last night and there's a scene where the herbalist is telling Wang Yu's character that he'll have to burn the nerves in his hand to be able to perform his Iron Fist technique. And when Wang Yu's character accepts, Cindy Tang looks down in disappointment. The perv in me wondered if she was upset that, should he hook up with her after his vengeance mission, he wouldn't be able to find any pleasure in touching her boobs once they became intimate.

• Haha 2