Untitled Fast and Furious Spin Off

SamSeed

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Release date is official: July 26, 2019 with F&F9 set for April 10, 2020.

Vin Diesel said that rewrites and development are the reason for the delay in filming the ninth installment, but Tyrese Gibson is starting a new feud with Dwayne Johnson, blaming him for the F&F9 delay:

Dwayne Johnson's rebuttal

That is so petty and childish, I mean although it's ostensibly a spin off, it's the same meat, different gravy isn't it? Except with The Rock instead of Vin Diesel. Any chance to see a full blooded action film with Johnson is good with me! I just hope he gets round to the sequel to The Rundown that has been talked about for a while, I've always loved that film.

The film has an official title: Hobbs and Shaw.

Vanessa Kirby (The Crown) has been signed to play a sister Shaw, a MI-5 agent. (Collider)

Idris Elba is now in final negotiations to play the villain of the film. (Variety)

F&F Franchise writer Chris Morgan has written the script for the spin-off and David Leitch is directing with shooting to begin this fall.

OK I was excited before but this just jumped even higher up my list of anticipated films. Idris Elba is brilliant (those who haven't yet had the pleasure of watching Luther, seek it out, you're in for a treat)

Here's the trailer: 

I didn't think it was possible to be more over the top than a Fast and Furious film these days. I was wrong. This is so utterly batshit crazy to the extent I'm not sure if they're going for self parody. Having said that - I am fully on board and cannot wait to see this on the biggest screen possible on the opening day. Also I'm glad they let Idris keep his Brit accent, and they're now veering off into real sci fi/superhero (even though that's what the characters basically are anyway now). Looks to be lots of nice brawling action, including some creative use of props

Secret Executioner

That chase scene in London in the first part of the trailer sold me - in a "so OTT it's awesome" way. Plus, I liked Dwayne Johnson in Skyscraper, and this seems to be a similar kind of goofy, action-packed romp.

Wow. If there's a film that's more fun this year I'd like to see it. Popcorn entertainment in the best possible terms. They really drew on the comic chemistry of Statham and Johnson and it pays off in spades, this is the (intentionally) funniest Fast film.

Action wise? Big, bombastic, OTT, loud, and in the hands of David Leitch extremely well shot. Each actor gets their chance to throw down and show off some nice choreography, with the standout for me being Vanessa Kirby. Statham is the next best but personally it was an extra thrill to see an actor as good as Idris Elba really getting a chance to show off his physical chops.

So essentially.... Go and see this on the biggest screen you can find, sit back and let enjoy the crazily choreographed chaos!

Pretty much everything you've loved about 80's, 90's action flicks comes together in this movie. Most of it doesn't follow any logic, there's basically no story (Super Virus) and the action is just bat shit crazy. Statham and Johnson have great chemistry on screen. Throwing each other off, any chance they get. The english gentleman, against the american hulkster. 

If you're just in it for the fun and like to switch off  your brain for 2 hours; this is the movie to watch! My only gripe is the PG-13 rating. 

Hugely enjoyable stuff, with some caveats here and there.

For me, possibly the best F and F film thus far.

Drunken Monk

This film is fun, fun, fun. Big and dumb but there's a sense of it being in on its own dumbness. While I found the butting of heads between Hobbs and Shaw grating, the film is all about the action. Which is splendid. This is how over the top blockbusters should be.

I don't think it's as good as Fast and Furious 5, 6, or 7 but it is a highly enjoyable watch.

Archived