Operation Mekong (2016) - New Dante Lam Action Movie

One Armed Boxer

Drunken Monk

Sometimes loving Asian cinema truly is perilous. I’d read some solid reviews about this one only to find out it’s a dud.

I’m about an hour in as I type this and, so far, the whole thing has looked painfully low budget. I don’t understand it. Dante Lam is reliable director and it seems they threw about twenty bucks at him to make this. Everything just looks...off. And the rubber bullets? Such an annoying concept.

I’m sure there will be an action climax. I have my fingers crossed it’s solid as I’ve heard it’s very 80’s in style. Rambo-esque if you will. I sincerely doubt it will save the film but I’m hoping it will redeem it somewhat.

I’m not saying it’s the worst film I have seen but it’s certainly not good.

Drunken Monk

Okay, so there’s a heartfelt attempt at a solid shootout near the end and it does provide some genuine entertainment. It IS very 80’s. But it’s a case of too little, too late I’m afraid.

I won’t be revisiting this one.

One Armed Boxer
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I won’t be revisiting this one.

I feel the same way (reviewed it here)....but the good news is 'Operation Red Sea' is much more fun, and loses the dodgy green screen work of its predecessor.

• Like 1

Rodolphe Dux

Another Dante Lam I liked but I’ll not give another shot. It really deserves a watch, especially for the village assault at the end, brilliantly directed, event if the boat chase is kind of dull.

But, have to admit that Eddie Peng’s wig and fake goatee are hilarious, just for that it’s a must have for a good laugh.

• Like 2