Jackie Chan, kick ass or hit and run

sym8

Which do you prefer Jackie in kick ass mode like Dragons forever,Lucky Stars,Heart of the dragon or hit and run mode Project a part 2,Miracles,Police story franchise.For me it's the hit and run mode because how many times have we seen a kick ass fighter kick the s..t out of the bad guys over and over, at least he does something different.Id like to hear your thoughts.?

• Like 4

Pretty much dislike all movies you mentioned. Jackie is great when movie is such, love "young master, dragon fist, snake in eagles shadow, master with cracked fingers, project a, dragon lord" but never quite got into his later movies. Except new police story, love his darker approach. Story and action very good in that. Haven`t watched crime story or city hunter yet...

• Like 2

Hit and run can be more entertaining...but kick ass can be more satisfying. That Heart of Dragon finale, for example, is pretty damn perfect.  But Police Story or Project A can be more enjoyable to rewatch.  I'll have to think about this some more...

• Like 3

I love the hell out of both. "Hit and run" often lends to Jackie taking full advantage of his surroundings. He's always running into something to weaponize and leads to some funny uses of unconventional items. However, "kick ass" is just really exciting. Before I became interested in his Hong Kong movies, I was always impressed by the Rush Hour movies when he can take out two guys in seconds.

I think the bottom line is that "hit and run" is funnier than "kick ass" while "kick ass" is more exciting than "hit and run". It's hard to say which I prefer, but if I absolutely had to, probably "kick ass". Jackie really gets to demonstrate his skills as a martial artist when in "kick ass" mode.

• Like 4

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

I have no problem with both. But similarly to @Tex Killer I am somewhat biased towards his pre-Project A flicks. Thinking back from yesterday's post, I feel that Jackie's characters in all of his movies prior to 1984 had a certain innocent and latent animalism that were never exploited to the fullest, at least during that period. I believe that Lo Wei, if he weren't such a strident jerk and more-often-than-not bumbling fool when Chan was under his cinematographic tutelage, could've fleshed out those aspects at it's fullest. If things have gone slightly differently.....we could've seen Chan at his bleakest and heartwrenching moments in a mid-to-late 70's flick not too different from Shinjuku Incident, except perhaps not as drama heavy and evidently having more action packed into the mix.

Edited by lonesome space
  • Like 4

I like both as well, when he's running but still fighting back, using the environment but  showing fighting skill like in Police Story it's cinematic art and what he pioneered. And there's nothing like a one on one duel where he matches skill for skill against bad ass opponents like Hwang Jang Lee and Benny Urquidez. I just don't like when he uses no discernible techniques whatsoever like in Dragon Lord finale or when he throws Benny Lai off the high rail after burning him up with the little firebombs he's thrown at him(even though it was great to see Lai's and Whang In Sik's kicking skill showcased in both films).

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

I don't know that you can really classify his movies as falling into one category or the other, except his early films which follow the standard story arc format of the time. The reason I love Chan is that his films tended to incorporate elements of both; one fight scene may have a "hit-n-run" feel, and another more of a "bringing the Fu" feel. As his films became known more for the former and more stunt laden, I actually began to gain a lackluster enthusiasm for them because he wasn't including a climactic end fight as often. The great thing about the mall fight in Police Story is it's a "bringing the Fu" fight with "hit-n-run" choreography.

• Like 5

It's difficult to say but still I think I probably lean more towards 'hit and run' because like @sym8 said 'he does something different' which makes it feel very much synonymous with him, his signature style if you will. Honestly I consider Chan the master of using his surroundings/environment in a fight scene. I'll admit, sometimes it can get overly silly, though most of the time there's a certain believability and logic to it. That said I'm still very glad we got to see both styles from him. 'Kick ass mode' certainly has a more intense feel and I think most of Chan's best 1-on-1 fights use that style of choreography.

• Like 3