Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

AlbertV

mission-impossible-6-bike-stunt-set-phot

Production is underway on Mission: Impossible 6 in Paris. Tom Cruise is back as Ethan Hunt, Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa Faust, Simon Pegg as Benji Dunn, Alec Baldwin as Alan Hunley. Henry Cavill has joined the film as a new cast member. Jeremy Renner is not returning due to his commitment to Avengers: Infinity War.

Director Christopher McQuarrie has posted some of the stunts in Paris and some on-set videos were revealed.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next Mission: Impossible film is now called Fallout.

27021632_10151026514219980_7127111026128

Henry Cavill and Angela Bassett co-star in the film.

If you hadn't heard, Tom Cruise broke his ankle during a stunt sequence and he was on Graham Norton to relive that injury, which according to Cruise, is not fully healed yet. Video can be seen at The Hollywood Reporter (they show they break in super slo mo...made me cringe LOL)

I absolutely adore these films. One of the few proper, old school, tent-pole blockbusters whose quality hasn't dipped (except Mission Impossible 3. That was execrable). Looks like some brilliant big stunts, as well as that nice fistfight in the middle of the trailer. So pumped for this!

Was never impressed with the first mission movie but loved the rest and this trailer looks great can’t wait for this👍👍

I’m with everyone else. I didn’t love the first two but, from part three onwards, I’ve been completely on board. I think they’re the true definition of “blockbuster”.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I saw this last night with my wife and son, and it KICKED ASS! Now that's how you make a good action movie.

There's a good story, it was artfully filmed in eye-popping locations, and there's all different kinds of terrific action throughout. Foot chases, hand-to-hand fighting, shootouts, car and motorcycle chases. You know it's thrilling when you find yourself (and notice the audience in front of you) leaning into the turns! It was everything it should've and could've been; thrilling, edge-of-your-seat action sequences, characters you care about, a clever plot that keeps you on your toes, and some well-timed belly laughs.

Tom Cruise owed me a good movie after I sat through JACK REACHER 2, and he's more than redeemed himself with this. I'm so glad we saw it in the theater too as it's quite a spectacle. If I'd have waited for the Blu-ray I'd have been kicking myself for missing it on the biggest screen possible.

As many of you are probably wondering about the fighting, let me tell you- very good stuff. Clearly filmed, with strong editing that allows you to appreciate the moves, and exciting/interesting choreography. One thing I noticed that was odd... I was surprised at one blatant missed punch that was shown in profile during a fight in a bathroom. I think it was Gareth Evans that said they occasionally used digital effects to fix clearly missed "hits" during otherwise perfect takes for THE RAID films, so with the budget and experts this production had at its disposal, it seems odd that this goof got through without being tweaked. But... one punch in an otherwise killer sequence that left me breathless. And speaking of punches, Henry Cavill looks like he could kill with a single punch. This actor sells his on-screen punches with the same level of skill that Charles Bronson did in his classic HARD TIMES. We also get some sweet leg-lock take-downs (and more) by Rebecca Ferguson that reminded me of those seen in 2009's CLASH (or was it in 2007's THE REBEL? I'm long overdue to revisit those two films). As for the film' star, Tom Cruise is 56, and he's putting guys half his age to shame with the commitment and daring that he displays during the fights and stunts. And man, when he is running... he looks like he may burst into flames he's booking so fast!

Highly recommended. As an action movie I'd give it a 9/10 easy.

I will tell you what. There may be better films released this year. But for sheer enjoyment? This one is going to take some beating. These films are made for the big screen, which may sound glib as most films are, but the sweeping shots and stunts are captured so well. Onto the fighting in a minute, but the motorcycle chase abd the ending sequence my heart was in my mouth, full credit to Cruise, he works harder that any other movie star (OK, Western movie star, Jackie still takes the cake on work ethic) to give the audience a good time at the movies.

For my money, these were the best fistfights in the franchise. The bathroom punchup is brutal, and Cruise really sells the pain he has to go through. I will say that I still cannot get on with Henry Cavill. I just don't see the charisma that others clearly do. That said, he is formidable and, as Kung Fu Bob said, a really old school brawler style, put me in mind of the bar fight in the film Shane in terms of his stature and power. 

Supporting cast puts in solid turns too. I like the dynamic between Cruise, Rhames and Pegg, but for me Sean Harris steals it, a few syllables in his raspy voice just chills the blood (anyone who hasn't seen it incidentally, Harry Brown starring Michael Caine is a brilliant film, Harris has a very creepy cameo as a drug dealer. And it kind of relates as that film's writer also wrote the British martial arts film The Tournament which starred Ving Rhames. Small world!) Anyway, essentially what I'm saying is go and see this on the biggest screen avaliable!

Tom cruise is very  annoying. He is up there with Vin Diesel as one of my least favourite  action stars. Watched the first Mission impossible at cinema and it was pretty boring. He should stick to romcoms.

In 80s he  had no chance of doing proper action movies as there were   action stars like Stallone , Schwarzenegger ,Norris , seagal ,  van damme so he fortunately never got action roles.

For me he just doesn't cut it as an action star. I feel his films are more for girls. Sorry. 

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Just had some friends message me that they saw this earlier today and all loved it too.

Forgot to mention in my review- there was a woman sitting in our row that got so excited during the bathroom fight sequence that she started swinging and kicking from her chair! Good thing it was in the high-end theater where the rows have plenty of room between them (plus comfy leather recliner seats), otherwise someone might've caught a shot in the back of the head!

Still buzzing from this one. I'm thinking of revisiting the whole MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE series again, as I picked up the Blu-ray set for a great price about a year ago. I have to double-check that the BD's include all the special features on them that the DVD versions have before I get rid of my DVDs. I lived and learned this the hard way when I first got rid of some DVDs that I'd upgraded to Blu's. Can't recall what the films were that this happened with, but for instance the KILLZONE BD is missing fantastic special features that the DVD has, and the same with the (same company's) Blu-ray of THE PROTECTOR. Therefore I kept both versions of these films, always watching the feature via Blu-ray, but holding on to the DVDs so I can enjoy every extra available.

5 hours ago, robbie said:

Tom cruise is very  annoying. He is up there with Vin Diesel as one of my least favourite  action stars. Watched the first Mission impossible at cinema and it was pretty boring. He should stick to romcoms.

In 80s he  had no chance of doing proper action movies as there were   action stars like Stallone , Schwarzenegger ,Norris , seagal ,  van damme so he fortunately never got action roles.

For me he just doesn't cut it as an action star. I feel his films are more for girls. Sorry. 

Is there honestly a movie out there that you like?  Or are you still stuck in the past?

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Just had some friends message me that they saw this earlier today and all loved it too.

Forgot to mention in my review- there was a woman sitting in our row that got so excited during the bathroom fight sequence that she started swinging and kicking from her chair! Good thing it was in the high-end theater where the rows have plenty of room between them (plus comfy leather recliner seats), otherwise someone might've caught a shot in the back of the head!

That's awesome. I'm going to guess you went to AMC? The two theaters near me are amazing, especially in the Palisades. The seats just ascend and there's so much space (makes me wonder how much extra seats could've been used lol)

I liked it less than the previous installment for some reason. I was craving for some totally out-of-this-world action, something more like the last Fast and furious, but MI6 was more grounded in the real world. I thought the helicopter chase at the end was just plain boring. I mean, how many helicopters following one another do I need? It's been done to death, really. The Paris chase was quite good, yet nothing extraordinary, IMO. There were a lot of nail-biting moments. but nothing spectacular. I can't believe they spent 178 mil for that. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but didn't blow me away as a whole

To me, the best action piece was the bathroom fight. My God, that was superb! Fast, brutal, inventive and very hard hitting. I literally jumped out of my seat when the bad guy went through the mirror. The movie theater sound added to the impact. Each blow sounded like a shot. Just a great, great scene

I was reading on the IMDB, that three year break between MI5 and MI6 was the shortest in the series. So, I guess, the best case scenario, the next one will come out in three years. I can't wait to see it!

On 7/29/2018 at 10:02 PM, Ah_Tao said:

Is there honestly a movie out there that you like?  Or are you still stuck in the past?

if your talking about rescent cinema releases. Not seen much. Last jedi i liked.  Commuter was descent. .  Death wish 2018 was good also

The meg  & Triple threat look 100x better than this. 

Sorry but ain't stuck in past. Just don't  like most of current action stars.

Cruise is extremely annoying as is Simon Peg.  Cruise making a descent action film is literally mission impossible to me.  Most of people on here  prefer  watching action performed by popstars & romcom stars  best .

Films i enjoyed recently are manhunt , confidential assigmnent, wolf warrior 2, death race 1,2 &3 , safe , transporter, condemened,undisputed 2,3&4 , accident man, debt collector, mechanic resurrection, , close range  . Hard target 2,John wick 2, kickboxer retaliation, , warrior king 2

Drunken Monk

This film is flat-out fantastic. The whole thing is a wonderful string of eye-popping action sequences strung together with a solid and engaging plot. I loved it. In fact, I wish I hadn't read as many reviews as I did because going into this one knowing nothing would have been even more mind blowing.

Cruise is an absolute beast. The guy puts himself so though much stuff and the pay-off is huge. Is this the best action film to come out of Hollywood in the last decade? Quite possibly.

Paramount Pictures posted the "bathroom fight" scene before the film's release. If anyone is wondering who Cruise and Cavill is fighting, it's Liang Yang, who also played the "shock tonfa" Stormtrooper in Star Wars: The Force Awakens  and played one of the 12 fighters in an underground tournament in Chee Keong Cheung's debut film Underground (aka 12)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/30/2018 at 7:20 AM, Drunken Monk said:

This film is flat-out fantastic. The whole thing is a wonderful string of eye-popping action sequences strung together with a solid and engaging plot. I loved it. In fact, I wish I hadn't read as many reviews as I did because going into this one knowing nothing would have been even more mind blowing.

Cruise is an absolute beast. The guy puts himself so though much stuff and the pay-off is huge. Is this the best action film to come out of Hollywood in the last decade? Quite possibly.

I agree!

Yeah, I try to watch, at the most, one trailer for a film before I see it. But this trailer was played before every single film I saw for many months before it was released. In fact, I joked with my son that they would probably even show the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE- FALLOUT trailer before the screening of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE- FALLOUT! 😄

On 7/30/2018 at 9:55 AM, AlbertV said:

Paramount Pictures posted the "bathroom fight" scene before the film's release. If anyone is wondering who Cruise and Cavill is fighting, it's Liang Yang, who also played the "shock tonfa" Stormtrooper in Star Wars: The Force Awakens  and played one of the 12 fighters in an underground tournament in Chee Keong Cheung's debut film Underground (aka 12)

I was wondering who he was and where I might have seen him before. You gave the info before I remembered to look it up. Thanks. That fight is superb.

You've got to hand it to Cruise, he is a damn good stuntman.  Did anyone see him skydiving on James Corden's show?   He is very talented.  

Amazing movie. I don't know which one is more of my favorite- this one or MI: III. I really enjoyed how the action flowed with the movie, and it's good to see that Ethan Hunt has his own Blofeld now if you get what I mean *wink wink*. 

One Armed Boxer

Got through watching this on its opening night here in Australia, and echo what everyone else has said in this thread.  Just falls short of matching 'Ghost Protocol', but McQuarrie has definitely learnt his lessons from 'Rogue Nation'.  I gave it the full review treatment here - 

http://cityonfire.com/mission-impossible-fallout-2018-review/

While I enjoyed the film quite a bit, I wish they had kept the visual look more bared to the bones. In the Paris chase, for example, the camera work is so slick and the image somehow so "clean and digital" (can't come up with a better expression) that they make real stunts look like CGI.

(I guess these days showcasing real stunts and action just isn't enough for audiences (The Fast and Furious series is a sad example... I was amazed to find out how many real stunts they had hidden under  CGI and digital processing in Furious 7).

On 8/5/2018 at 2:53 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Got through watching this on its opening night here in Australia, and echo what everyone else has said in this thread.  Just falls short of matching 'Ghost Protocol', but McQuarrie has definitely learnt his lessons from 'Rogue Nation'.  I gave it the full review treatment here - 

http://cityonfire.com/mission-impossible-fallout-2018-review/

I liked Rogue Nation a bit better.

And think Ghost Protocol was the worst in the series.

And the moment I saw Michelle Monaghan I went "oh no, not this 'lady to worry about' stuff again".

😎

On 7/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, AlbertV said:

Oh, and I really didn't think so highly about the bathroom fight. Maybe I'm just slow, but can't follow these illogically edited fights. See:

0:21: Cruise on the left, Liang Yang on the right

0:22: Cruise on the right, Liang Yang on the left

0:33 Cruise on the right, Liang Yang on the left

0:34 Cruise on the left, Liang Yang on the right

0:35 Cavill on the left, Liang Yang on the right

0:36 Cavill on the left, Liang Yang on the right

0:37 Cavill on the right, Liang Yang on the left

In those three examples the characters keep "switching places" between edits because the camera cuts to opposite side. It's a really annoying. I can see something fast and furious is going on, but I don't really have time to register who just punched who... or I might register the punch to the wrong character since the person who was standing on the right and throwing a punch is now on the left where the person receiving the punch is supposed to be standing, and was standing a millisecond ago... 

This issue of course isn't limited to modern films (and Fallout isn't by far the worst offender) but since editing in modern films tends to be faster, the issue also gets bigger than in some older flims.

Now, see some fighting from Fist of Legend (from 4:01) to see how to edit it clearly. See how Li remains almost without exception on the right side in every shot (that is, we know all kicks and punches coming from the left below to Chow, anything from the right to Li, we can focus on the action instead of analyzing the image at every single cut to figure out who is standing on which side this time) until they cleverly switch positions during the slow motion back flip at 4:34, after which Li will remain on the left... so ferocious yet easy to follow!

Archived