African Kicks: South African Martial Arts Movies

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Thanks @AlbertV, I've now added Moyo Mubi to the list of South African Martial Arts titles. We have twenty one movies listed so far.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Just a heads up my KFF Peeps...I will be doing my 1st podcast episode next month and I will be focusing on South African cinema and we will be talking some about their martial arts films. My guest will be actor/producer Christopher Jaftha.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 4/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, AlbertV said:

Just a heads up my KFF Peeps...I will be doing my 1st podcast episode next month and I will be focusing on South African cinema and we will be talking some about their martial arts films. My guest will be actor/producer Christopher Jaftha.

Can you post a link to this episode of your Pod-Cast here @AlbertV?.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, DragonClaws said:

Can you post a link to this episode of your Pod-Cast here @AlbertV?.

Here it is! It was done on Monday :) Yes it is on these platforms...the bottom one is Spotify :)

Just a heads up, there will be technical difficulties in the beginning as my guest is in South Africa and the connection was a bit cuckoo there and my desktop hit a glitch for a like a minute in the middle, but other than that, I thought it went well for a debut episode. 

https://anchor.fm/worldfilmgeek
https://www.breaker.audio/the-worldfilmgeek-podcast
https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy81MzVhOTNjOC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw==
https://radiopublic.com/the-worldfilmgeek-podcast-G15mKD

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

I found this short action film shot during the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa. It's called Black Market Brawl

• Like 2

A new short film is making its debut at the LA Film Festival, which begins this weekend. The Ring of Beasts stars Hungani Ndvolu (The Hex), Cameron Scott (Triggered), and Jonathan Pienaar (American Ninja 2: The Confrontation).

Uncanny twins are raised to fight for their owners as prized contenders in The Ring of Beasts, a brutal, bloody and wildly popular system in a world not to far from removed from our own.

Cameron Scott wrote and produced the project under his recently formed company, Kingdom Kome, which he formed with good friend and South African cricket player Kagiso Rabada

• Like 2

I have an update on the short film Ring of Beasts. The film is premiering Sunday at the LA Short Film Festival. It will be available on YouTube via The Shorts Network. Monthly subscription is $2.99 (I subscribed today) and I will not only be reviewing the film, but sometime next week, I will be having an exclusive interview with star/writer/producer Cameron Scott (We've been friends since the release of Triggered and we'll be coordinating our schedules as he's in South Africa). It will be the 3rd episode of my podcast. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Here's my latest podcast episode with South African actor and filmmaker Cameron Scott. We talk about Ring of Beasts, Triggered, his love of action movies and wanting to do stunt work, and more. This was a fun conversation we had together. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Can anyone list further Martial Arts movies, that were made in other parts of Africa?.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

"In front of the cinemas that open at 10 am in the popular neighbourhoods, young people
engage all day long in card games and lotteries, most or all of them are unemployed and are
getting themselves introduced to banditry by playing the Djangos or the Bruce Lees end-
lessly. They imitate the spectacular feats of a Shaolin caught in an ambush. It is not uncom-
mon to see these games end in hot altercations or bloody fights. (Mockey 1984)
On the left side of the social centre of Adjamé [a crowded, commercial neighbourhood in
Abidjan], [there is] a big building in yellow and red: the cinema ROXY. All around there
are merchants of radios."

Source: The Ziguéhi Movement and the Afterlives of Kung fu
Films in Abidjan*
Written by - Alessandro Jedlowski

Abstract- Kung fu films made in Hong Kong and Taiwan are one of the most influential film
references for male youth audiences around Africa, but despite their influence, their
circulation around the continent has only rarely been studied. This essay addresses
this gap by analysing the long-term impact of kung fu films on street gang culture
in Abidjan, Côte dIvoire. Kung fu films began to circulate in the country the 1970s.
They were screened in Abidjan numerous popular neighbourhood theatre halls
along Indian films and American B-movies. Their emphasis on fighting bare hands,
the discipline of the body and the revolt to forms of authority perceived as
oppressive made them popular among young viewers, who took explicit inspiration
from them and began practicing martial arts. The street gang movement which
emerged from these influences, known as the Ziguéhi, became one of the most
influential in recent Ivorian history.

• Like 1