African Kicks: South African Martial Arts Movies

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

22 March 2014, Kerida Gamela Woreda, Ethiopia - Jackie Chan (centre) meets with experts and farmers at the Farmer Training Center where three types of improved forage are produced designed to improve animal health, part of an ongoing effort to increase resilience of vulnerable farmers to climatic shocks such as drought. The goal of the visit was to highlight the achievements of the Purchase from Africans for Africa (PAA) and South-South Cooperation programmes in Ethiopia.

Jackie Chan visits FAO projects in Ethiopia.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Never viewed this slice of Huang Kin-Lung Bruceploitation before, was it actually filmed in Cameroon central Africa?.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

yes, with the Black Ninja himself former distributor turned actor Alphonse Beni as co-lead and producer

Thanks for that @Mike Leeder.

topmission14_3a1b605411620a05246103cca04

puce_f.gifHKCinemagic: What memories do you keep from working with Alphonse Beni?
Godfrey Ho: The black guy, right? I met him in the Cannes Film Festival. He was a distributor in Cameroon . When he saw our movies, he was: “Oh, great, Godfrey! I want to make movies.” “You want to make movies? Ok.” “But I also want to be the star.” “Ok, come on!” (laughs) That's it! Just pay the money, you have your copyrights for Cameroon or for Africa or France , you have your copyrights and it includes you to be the star in the movie. You like that? Cool! That's how we did Black Ninja. It was so lousy (laughs). But he paid the money; he wanted to be the star, why not? (laughs). That's the business.

Source- http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=230&page=5

• Like 2

Up-dated the list of title's in my original post, thanks again to everyone who has helped out so far.

Kill Or Be Killed(1980)

Kill & Kill Again(1981)

One More Shot(1984)

Cameroon Connection(1984)

To The Death(1992)

American Kickboxer(1991)

Terminator Woman(1993)

American Ninja 2(1987)

American Ninja 3(1989)

American Ninja 4(1990)

Letha Ninja(1992)

Cyborg Cop(1993)

Cyborg Cop 2(1994)

Laser Mission(1990)

Kickboxer 5(1995)

Cold Harvest(1999)

Wake Of Death(2004)

Witness To Kill(2001)

• Like 2

I just saw on Amazon that the karate flick One More Shot will be available as part of a 3-movie set of Retro Afrika DVD box set that will come out on February 11, 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Afrika-Phase-3-Various/dp/B07YTDF48X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Retro+Afrika+phase&qid=1573494029&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I just saw on Amazon that the karate flick One More Shot will be available as part of a 3-movie set of Retro Afrika DVD box set that will come out on February 11, 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Afrika-Phase-3-Various/dp/B07YTDF48X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Retro+Afrika+phase&qid=1573494029&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Great news, and thanks for sharing/posting this information @AlbertV.

81av7b1BwlL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Hat's off to the men and women behind this production.It shows not only a love of the Martial Arts, but a big love of Old-School Hong Kong cinema too.

• Like 1

@NoKUNGFUforYU, you might this articcle interesting?.

While China's state-funded, Communist party-run media outlets may struggle to find a mass audience for its content in Africa and elsewhere around the world, a certain genre of Chinese-language movies, by contrast, have been popular for decades. Hong Kong-produced Kung Fu movies, most notably those featuring martial arts legend Bruce Lee, have been staples in Africa's pirated video bazaars dating back to the 1960s and 70s. Even today, in the DVD markets of Cairo or bars in Kinshasa to cable TV channels in Johannesburg, Hong Kong's martial arts films remain an extremely popular form of entertainment.   Sure, there is a universal appeal to one a single beating up dozens of rivals with amazing dexterity.

Everyone loves a great action movie. However, for Africans there is an additional appeal to those early Bruce Lee movies where the hero in colonial Hong Kong who openly fights back against his white British overlords. In places like South Africa, that type of insurrection was resolutely banned by the then apartheid government for fear that oppressed black residents would be inspired by Bruce Lee's battle for dignity and honor.   In a new research paper published for the Journal of African Cultural Studies, the China Africa Project's own Cobus van Staden examines why Kung Fu movies became so popular in South Africa during the 1960s and 70s. In this week's show Eric and Cobus also discuss what lessons China's media strategists can learn from Hong Kong's wildly successful film producers who, unlike CCTV and the China Daily for example, have been able to generate huge audiences and tremendous profits.   Join the discussion. What do you think of Hong Kong's legendary Kung Fu movies and why are so popular across Africa? -  YouTube Synopsis excerpt

Here's a great discussion about Hong Kong cinema and the popularity of Kung Fu movies in South Africa.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Based on the life of a legendary capoeira (a Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, sports, and music) fighter from Bahia, Besouro spins a fantastic tale of a young Brazilian man (Aílton Carmo) of African descent in search of his mission.

Source- https://cityonfire.com/the-assailant-aka-besouro-dvd-phase-4-capoeira-brazilian/

71BHg45XWCL._AA1297_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Besouro: Black Lives Matter

Link- https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2015/01/06/besouro-black-lives-matter/

Capoeira also ties into this history. A loose African martial art arrived in Brazil with Angolan slaves, but was further developed on the plantations and combined with dance to conceal the more lethal moves from the slave masters. This became capoeira. It was perfected to be used as the weapon of choice in many revolts and in defense of the quilombos. Freedom and capoeira cannot be separated. Of all the mythical capoeirstas, the one that stands tallest among them is the legend of Besouro (the beetle).

Actor and Martial Artist Aílton Carmo.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Quoting from https://cityonfire.com/dark-force-entertainment-blu-ray-dvd-kill-or-be-killed-james-ryan-karate-killer/  

"On April 28th, 2020, Dark Force Entertainment will release the Blu-ray for the 1976 James Ryan actioner Kill or Be Killed (aka Karate Killer), a martial arts cult classic directed by the late South African cult favorite, Ivan Hall (Funeral for an Assassin). Presented in a Brand New HD master from only surviving 16mm print.

Go to the Cityonfire.com article for more info.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Quoting from https://cityonfire.com/dark-force-entertainment-blu-ray-dvd-kill-or-be-killed-james-ryan-karate-killer/  

"On April 28th, 2020, Dark Force Entertainment will release the Blu-ray for the 1976 James Ryan actioner Kill or Be Killed (aka Karate Killer), a martial arts cult classic directed by the late South African cult favorite, Ivan Hall (Funeral for an Assassin). Presented in a Brand New HD master from only surviving 16mm print.

Go to the Cityonfire.com article for more info.

Thanks for sharing that news here @whitesnake.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you know which year this was released @AlbertV?.

According to Amazon Prime, it says 1986, but I'll have to see the film for myself. 

• Like 2

I watched Beware Tiger yesterday and it looks like it was made in 1980, so I just reflected that..although I'm not completely sure. There was a disclaimer saying most of these films disappeared in early 1990 but Gravel Road has been tracking these down since 2013.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2020/02/17/beware-tiger-1980/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I watched Beware Tiger yesterday and it looks like it was made in 1980, so I just reflected that..although I'm not completely sure. There was a disclaimer saying most of these films disappeared in early 1990 but Gravel Road has been tracking these down since 2013.

Thanks for posting that information here @AlbertV, and thanks to Gravel Road for making the effort to find/save these movies. I've now added Beware Tiger to the main list.

• Like 1

Here's a great 2014 article on Afrikaner filmmaker Tonie van der Merwe, whose attempt to break the film barrier when he wrote the script for Joe Bullet (the first South African film to feature an all-black cast and was banned due to Apartheid at the time) and writing/directing other films geared towards the black audience in S.A. during Apartheid, earned him a major award at the Durban International Film Festival.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/world/africa/honoring-a-filmmaker-in-the-shadow-of-apartheid.html

• Like 2

Here's another one...Moyo Mubi, made in 1980. This is another Apartheid-era action film made for the local black audiences that has been revived by the gang at Gravel Road. This one stars Popo Gumede as a stickfighting expert who uses his skills to take on a group of bandits who have been terrorizing the town by robbing the townsfolk. It's more of an action comedy as the main boss' henchmen are very bumbling. In one scene, while the boss is doing the dirty work, he asks the henchmen to watch the hostages and the trio of buffoons end up dancing to the delight of the hostages. 

The full movie is also available on YouTube courtesy of Gravel Road TV.

• Like 3