River of Fury 江湖行 (1973)

teako170

[spoilers]

I think this reviewer (below) provided a good write up of what I liked about this film. It was just average for the most part but the final act was what made this film truly enjoyable. With so many movies featuring endless fights, this was a nice slow burn. The battle between Ku Feng and Danny Lee in the end was quite engaging. Yes, choreographers Yuen Woo-Ping and Yuen Cheung-Yan did an admirable job but, beyond that, I was invested in the plight of these two combatants and didn’t want to see either one lose.  A decent showdown where there were no true winners. Check it out but don’t skip through the movie and fast forward to the end. Otherwise, it’s just another fight scene.

http://www.silveremulsion.com/2016/01/01/river-of-fury-1973

rof1973.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the article scan. This is a film that I gave a good rating to after I watched it, but since then I couldn't remember anything about it. Seeing the stills (and checking out the review) reminded me. I'm going to have to revisit this one soon.

11 hours ago, panku said:

Thanks for posting the article scan. This is a film that I gave a good rating to after I watched it, but since then I couldn't remember anything about it. Seeing the stills (and checking out the review) reminded me. I'm going to have to revisit this one soon.

Is that Silver Emulsion your site?

Great site.  Wonderful collection of reviews.  Can't wait for the ambitious Shaw brothers project to be finished!  And the Jackie one too.  

The guy disagreeing on the recently posted Shanghai Knights review...yeah that's me. 

10 hours ago, teako170 said:

Is that Silver Emulsion your site?

It's not. Early on I started keeping a list of all the Asian films I watched and gave them ratings. (is there a nerd emoji?) It's been helpful when going back and rewatching, especially with the size of the collection.

I would leave a small note inside the DVD case with date I watched but, after several years passing between viewings, I usually forgot much of the film anyway. I still have many I've yet to watch (mainly 60s - early 70s) and it's always refreshing to find a film such as River. 

Archived