INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN HK Blu-ray

Ronin

The next Shaw Brothers Celestial/IVL Hong Kong blu-ray release is INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN on or around April 21st. :BL-GoodJob:

226849_s.JPG

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chemical Lemon

Wow...this is fantastic news. I've wondered why this has seemed to be ignored for so long. When they first started releasing movies they pushed this one a lot. They were showing this along with all their flagship titles at all the film festivals. 

Nice one, also hope they get around to KING BOXER soon or 88 Films or TVP can pick that up just as long as it's English friendly.

7 hours ago, Ronin said:

The next Shaw Brothers Celestial/IVL Hong Kong blu-ray release is INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN on or around April 21st. 

That's what I've been looking for. Great film and a title that had an exceptionally poor DVD release. I remember being seriously upset with the blurriness of the picture when I bought the Image DVD when it first popped up. Time to trash it, finally!

My goodness! Really!? Wow! Damn! I hope it is not cropped like Death Duel or else I am going to think that they have it out for Chor Yuen. :smile Day 1 then, for me! Though, I am surprised that it is not 88 Films behind this release. This was something that I fully expected them to release at some point. But, as long as the quality is there then I really don't care whom releases it. Great news!

Hang on a second, is this an April Fool`s joke? Are you just a day early? Not seeing this up for pre-order yet so just wondering what the source is. 

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, reason108 said:

My goodness! Really!? Wow! Damn! I hope it is not cropped like Death Duel or else I am going to think that they have it out for Chor Yuen. :smile Day 1 then, for me! Though, I am surprised that it is not 88 Films behind this release. This was something that I fully expected them to release at some point. But, as long as the quality is there then I really don't care whom releases it. Great news!

Hang on a second, is this an April Fool`s joke? Are you just a day early? Not seeing this up for pre-order yet so just wondering what the source is. 

Possibly this is one of 88 films upcoming titles, I don't think this has shown on el Rey and I'm not sure if it's seen any HD releases. They may have gone back and created a new HD transfer as part of an agreement with a customer. They seem to be slowly upgrading some of their SD titles anyway. So who knows. 

It's mentioned as preorder on buyoyo, so, it mustn't be an April Fool's joke, at least, I hope so...

Not an April Fool's joke. Not sure why other sites don't have this listed for pre-order yet, but it is definitely a real release.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, ShawAngela said:

It's mentioned as preorder on buyoyo, so, it mustn't be an April Fool's joke, at least, I hope so...

Since I was getting some stuff from buyoyo, I also pre-order from them.

Me too :  as you said in another thread, since we don't know how long it will be available nor if there will be other titles to be released on blu ray, " it's better getting than running " as we say in my country !

Looks like the first pressing of this blu-ray will include a slipcover, just like DEATH DUEL and THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG blu-rays.

21 hours ago, Ronin said:

Looks like the first pressing of this blu-ray will include a slipcover, just like DEATH DUEL and THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG blu-rays.

That would be nice of them! Hope mine has one. 

Ordered...this was tough call, movie is masterpiece but not quite among top of Chu Yuan(there are massive challengers like Jade Tiger and Magic Blade) and not exactly interested of buying br update often. After week+so giving thought then added to basket. At least there is english dub according to info and slipcase if I am not late is accepted too.

And some support to Celestial. Strangely they NEVER announce these releases on their fb page, without ronin/this topic likely would not know this is coming...

35 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Ordered...this was tough call, movie is masterpiece but not quite among top of Chu Yuan(there are massive challengers like Jade Tiger and Magic Blade) and not exactly interested of buying br update often. After week+so giving thought then added to basket. At least there is english dub according to info and slipcase if I am not late is accepted too.

And some support to Celestial. Strangely they NEVER announce these releases on their fb page, without ronin/this topic likely would not know this is coming...

This is exactly part of the problem. They should be announcing this from the rooftops. It is almost like they don't give a sh*t! If it was not for this forum and a couple of other ones, I would have missed out on a lot of releases. Doesn't make any sense!

8 hours ago, reason108 said:

This is exactly part of the problem. They should be announcing this from the rooftops. It is almost like they don't give a sh*t! If it was not for this forum and a couple of other ones, I would have missed out on a lot of releases. Doesn't make any sense!

Weird "marketing" system indeed. No official info they are releasing anything. Just blahblah what is on amazon or el rey on ther channel....Would not take few minutes of telling new br is coming and adding it sticky.

I would not do busine$$$$$$$ their way. 

Ugh!

Yep, the Hong Kong blu-ray/DVD industry works in mysterious ways. The only companies that seem to put any effort into marketing are Deltamac, Panorama and CN Entertainment - and those efforts are fairly minimal.

5 hours ago, Ronin said:

Yep, the Hong Kong blu-ray/DVD industry works in mysterious ways. The only companies that seem to put any effort into marketing are Deltamac, Panorama and CN Entertainment - and those efforts are fairly minimal.

Could this be a bad sign of the state of physical media there? That they're not confident enough people would buy DVD and blu ray to to even bother advertising?

22 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Could this be a bad sign of the state of physical media there? That they're not confident enough people would buy DVD and blu ray to to even bother advertising?

As far as I know, the HK blu-ray/DVD industry has never been big on promotion. Releases just come out, with barely any warning and little fanfare. Physical media is in decline everywhere (especially film/TV products), just the way things are going. That is why piracy is particularly harmful now. If people don't support these releases, they are going to go away. That is a fact. There is already so little money left in physical releases of films/TV that even a small loss of sales can kill the chances of future releases. It is a niche market now.

13 hours ago, Ronin said:

As far as I know, the HK blu-ray/DVD industry has never been big on promotion. Releases just come out, with barely any warning and little fanfare. Physical media is in decline everywhere (especially film/TV products), just the way things are going. That is why piracy is particularly harmful now. If people don't support these releases, they are going to go away. That is a fact. There is already so little money left in physical releases of films/TV that even a small loss of sales can kill the chances of future releases. It is a niche market now.

Truth! Get `em while you can! 

Received my copy of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan today! After the disappointing release of Death Duel, this is a return to the positive. Surprisingly, there is an English PCM 2.0 dub along with the Mandarin PCM 2.0. Also, included is an original & new theatrical trailer and a behind-the-scenes photo gallery. Overall, there is almost nothing to complain about here. If I have to find fault, then, it would have to be with any limitations of the original film source and Celestial`s restoration/transfer that has plagued all prior releases of the movie that I am aware of (I am speaking of the Region 3 and Region 1 dvd releases). Those problems being a 2.35:1 aspect ratio but not displaying the full Shawscope ratio. This is easily detected when viewing the original theatrical trailer compared to the main feature film. And, some of the night scenes are a little too bright perhaps. But, this is also an issue that plagued The One-Armed Swordsman. The older pan & scan videos were probably more accurate regarding how the night shots should look. But, to wrap it up, this is another stellar Celestial release and as you guys can see by Saltysam`s screenshots, looks really really good. Certainly worth a purchase if you are a fan of Chu Yuan. 

Archived