BuyBust (2018) - Ann Curtis, Brandon Vera

DiP

I was hoping for MA action too. Guess they don't wanna spoil too much. But as a whole, I'm really impressed so I'm set for this!

And this being cheap and pretentious? I suggest y'all watch Erik Matti's On the Job to see what he's capable of. Dude is not slacking when it comes to writing and telling stories. He can make any kind of movie and the cinematography in his movies (those I've seen so far) is top-notch.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like a nice movie so far.... deffo gonna check it out. Hope more quality films from the phils will emerge !

On 23/01/2018 at 3:17 AM, Frank Bolte said:

looks like a nice movie so far.... deffo gonna check it out. Hope more quality films from the phils will emerge !

Nothing in the trailer suggests  it is special so suprised you lot think that way so far. 

Like I said, watch On the Job. I'm merely talking about the director's capabilities, not the action (which was non-existent in the trailers anyway).

3 hours ago, robbie said:

Nothing in the trailer suggests  it is special so suprised you lot think that way so far. 

I think those that are excited are excited for the direction. It looks like a very well made film with some seriously nice cinematography. I don't think everyone's excited for the action just yet.

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think those that are excited are excited for the direction. It looks like a very well made film with some seriously nice cinematography. I don't think everyone's excited for the action just yet.

Agreed, I think most people are watching this because it's an Erik Matti movie, not because they're expecting the next 'The Raid'.  The fact that it's an Erik Matti movie with some action beats though, is reason enough to be excited.  If you want a brainless Filipino action movie, go rent some vintage Ramon Zamora.

The movie has been pushed back to an unkown date for its domestic release...

BuyBust is targeting a new release date! Stay tuned and watch out for the big announcement.

Finally... According to ABS-CBN http://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/06/13/18/anne-curtis-buy-bust-to-premiere-in-new-york-film-fest

The movie will have its premiere during the New York Asian Film Festival (June 28th - July 15th). Hope somebody on here has the time to drop by :wink

From subwaycinema.com:

Closing Night is the world premiere of Erik Matti’s BuyBust from the Philippines. On the surface, it is structured like an action film in the vein of The Raid, with superstar Anne Curtis and MMA world champion Brandon Vera as narcs taking down a drug kingpin against insurmountable odds over one unrelenting rainy night. The film employed 309 stuntmen and features a wildly ambitious three-minute, one-cut action scene. Being a Matti film, it also offers a searing perspective on the ongoing drug war and broader issues of political corruption. The director and stars will attend the screening.

Schedule: https://www.subwaycinema.com/nyaff18/schedule-list/

Alright, I'm still on this! The glimpses of action looks much better than in that preview clip.

Gosh... So you're saying that Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock/Khan, Moon Lee and all those action heroines from the 80s all suck?

It's all in the acting to make us convinced whether the performer has done a good job or not. It's all about looks, not what is realistic or not. 

I would have  even  put my money on Weng Weng  in a fight with the Woman in this  . That's how believable this film  is for me.

Yeah, because movies "have to be" 100% in representing reality for you to be entertained. We get it 😂 

Let's not forget that we're talking film-making here. Film is an art form, and artists are to express their thoughts and ideas in anyway possible. Art shouldn't be restricted.

Mike Leeder
19 hours ago, robbie said:

Noticed they are using  a female lead alot. . It just comes off as abit too unbelievable in action fights having a woman beat up guys. .  Surely  the female would be better  off playing the damsel in distress and they could get a guy  for lead role. Other than that it looks o.k abit like raid or or some korean movies. But they need to just forget about this gender equality stuff. Its like boxing female fighters do not fight against men. 

Wow....i read this to the wife while she was cooking my dinner, after fetching me my slippers and pipe...and said "Blondie, are we still in the 1950's?"

She's playing a highly trained Cop, she's not supposed to be some innocent housewife? Have met more than a few female law enforcement officers who can fend for themselves very very well....

Can i ask a question? is a female hero in a Wuxia movie more acceptable coz she's wearing a flowing dress?

Haven't seen the movie yet, but got high hopes for it, and not adverse to a female action hero in any way.....and i think the action is trying to show her skill, not her brute strength winning her battles...

58 minutes ago, robbie said:

As i said the film looks o.k, a bit like a raid copycat with that well worn twist of a female star.

Let's wait till we have seen the movie before jumping into conclusions. As that cityonfire.com review points out, it's far from a copycat of The Raid.

TibetanWhiteCrane
15 hours ago, MasterBloodyYam said:

Sad little troll. So desperate for attention. Pathetic. Hope ya get punched in the throat by a woman.

Forum peeps that agree this guy is a worthless worm should hover over his name, choose IGNORE USER and stop feeding the troll. If no one sees what he is shitting out, and no one responds then he ceases to exist. We won't be missing anything at all. Lets IGNORE this troll en masse.

Bye bye idiot.

Problem is he is so stupid and pathetic that it becomes sort of entertaining to read his retarded drivel.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Okay, lets all stay respectful of one another. Not all opinions (and members) are popular, but please refrain from personal attacks.

It's true- if someone finds a member annoying then they should use the "Ignore User" feature. But guys, no more name-calling, thanks. And @robbie, saying that you think women are not believable as fighters in 4 posts in a row is obnoxious and inflammatory. Your, ah, "view" on this was understood the first time you said it.

Now lets get this thread back on the rails. We're talking about BUYBUST, which currently has a rating of 8.1/10 on IMDB https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5938084/. That's pretty damn impressive!

I saw this last Sunday night at the NY Asian Film Festival.

I will not give any spoilers but I would give it a much higher rating than the current IMDB rating.

This is the best I have seen Anne Curtis.......oh wait no spoilers.

I will go to see it again when it open in 2 weeks at the AMC theater in Times Square.

Also, I did enjoy some of the Filipino food served after the movie.

Highly recommend!!!!!!

49 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Also, I did enjoy some of the Filipino food served after the movie.

Hahahaha, typical 😋

Thanks for letting us know. Can't wait to see it now!

Archived